Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What is the advantage of UV Filter vs. Circular Polarizer

What will I notice?
    Rebel - XSi
    EF-S 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250 1:4-5.6 IS
    Hoya HMC Super 58mm UV Filter

A UV filter is typically used as a lens protector, and some people leave it on all the time.

If you are going this route, then buy the best (most expensive) , multicoated filter you can, as you will want the least detrimental effect to your pictures.

Any additional lens or filter has the possiblilty to introduce distortions, internal reflections etc, so thats why many people caution against the use of a UV or other filter as lens protection.

Many just add the adapter tube and regard that as perfect protection and regard the addition of the filter as unnecessary.

A polariser is used to reduce glare and reflections especially off water and glass, it robs you of light, around 2 stops, so should only be used when needed.
    Last edited by Sintares; 02-14-2007 at 08:04 PM.

Short answer, there is no vs. per se they serve two different purposes. UV cuts UV light which really isn't necessary on the S3 but it does. A polarizer cuts reflection glare adds contrast and saturation and can act like an ND Filter.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

And a CPL is perfect for using as a lens protector too. just remove it in low light. My CPL is on almost all the time. As opposed to changing filters UV and then putting on the CPL and taking it off again.. i just leave a CPL on all the time then when it's low light- i remove it.
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

Hmmm...well I feel stupid now. I've left the PL and UV filters on my S3 ever since I bought them. Can't remember the last time I had one or both of them off.

Quote Originally Posted by shinerburke View Post
    Hmmm...well I feel stupid now. I've left the PL and UV filters on my S3 ever since I bought them. Can't remember the last time I had one or both of them off.
    How's that possible? I thought you can only put a filter on one at a time? Did you use a double-threaded tube (one on each end)?
    Nikon D700 | Nikon D90 | 14-24mm 2.8 | 24-70mm 2.8 | 35mm 1.8 | 50mm 1.4 | 85mm 1.4 | 105mm 2.8 Micro | 70-300mm VR | SB-800s | Tiffen UV Filter, ND and Polarizer set

"You see, Netherlands is this make-believe place where Peter Pan and Tinkerbell come from."
    Joey Tribbiani

Visit My Flickin' Flickr Shots | My Blog | My Porto-folio (requires Flash)

Quote Originally Posted by XaiLo View Post
    Short answer, there is no vs. per se they serve two different purposes.
    Bad choice of words on my part

My main point was why have the UV filter rather than a CPL, other than a protector.

I understand the CPL will cut the light rays out and you will have to adjust the exposure to let more light in due to the lens being darker.

I was wondering what different will you notice using a UV filter, is it really nessasary, I know you said the S3 does not need one but how would you determine whether a camera needs one or not?
    Rebel - XSi
    EF-S 18-55 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    EF-S 55-250 1:4-5.6 IS
    Hoya HMC Super 58mm UV Filter

Most filters have threading on the front and back, allowing you to stack them one in front of the other. This means you can use both UV and CPL filters together.

However, there are some "slim" versions that have no front threads. You sacrifice being able to stack the filters on your camera, but you gain by having less of a chance of vingetting (mostly applies to the use of wide angle lenses) and slightly less weight.

Quote Originally Posted by lathe View Post
    Most filters have threading on the front and back, allowing you to stack them one in front of the other. This means you can use both UV and CPL filters together.
    Yep....that's the setup I have.

SilentBob, your words conveyed your thought so it's all good. the reason you don't need a UV filter with the S3 is because The lens is already has a UV coating. The reason I use a UV lens is because my fingers had a bad habit of touching the lens. So it's there for protection from me lol and it's a good one so it does not adversely effect the quality of the capture. The adapter also provides a handy place to support the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentBob View Post
    Bad choice of words on my part

My main point was why have the UV filter rather than a CPL, other than a protector.

I understand the CPL will cut the light rays out and you will have to adjust the exposure to let more light in due to the lens being darker.

I was wondering what different will you notice using a UV filter, is it really nessasary, I know you said the S3 does not need one but how would you determine whether a camera needs one or not?
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%