Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question XTi/400D Metering

Hey--

I was reading about using spot metering, which the XTi/400D doesn't have. Which is most like spot metering: partial metering or center-weighted average metering?

Thanks
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

The one with the empty rectangle icon
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

The one with the empty rectangle icon
    Thanks Forno--that would be center-weighted average. But from the manual's illustration on page 73, it appears that partial metering is more like spot. My confusion stems from the fact that the text accompanying the illustrations isn't clear at all.
    Adam
    -------------

My Etsy store

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
    Thanks Forno--that would be center-weighted average. But from the manual's illustration on page 73, it appears that partial metering is more like spot. My confusion stems from the fact that the text accompanying the illustrations isn't clear at all.
    AdamW,
    First, I am no expert. But I have found on my XTi I get the best results (closest to spot?) from partial.
    I have tried it repeatedly in all 3 modes using the exact same subject: ie: towards the sky, shooting a bird on a limb.
    The best results I have seen comes from partial metering. The subject is most naturally lighted and the bg is not as bright. And I using ONLY the center AF point.
    Don't know if this helps any because I have never used a spot metering camera yet.
    Give it a try and see what you think.
    Oh, and you are very correct in that the manual is really vague in a description of the different modes. However, it did make me want to experiment.
    Hope this helps,
    Ron
    My Stuff
    Canon XTi Black body
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II-Canon EF 28-135 F3.5-5.6 IS USM-Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM-Canon 100-400L
    Opteka Battery Pack Grip-Canon 430 EX-Manfrotto 3021bnpro
    2 Sandisk Ultra II 1 gig cf cards-2 Sandisk Ultra II 2 gig cf cards-Tamrac 5606

Thanks, Ron. It's reassuring to hear that you think the text is vague--it makes me feel slightly less dense. I think you're right, and I will experiment. And I already use only the center AF point. I like to focus and recompose beacuse I hate it when the camera decides for me what should be in focus.
    Adam
    -------------

My Etsy store

Here is a nice Canon tutorial if your interested; this is for the XT, but will it is the same as the XTi metering.....click on digital photography basics #3 (Principles of exposure metering):

http://images.photoworkshop.com/rebe...interface.html

And this is the Canon Digital learning Center website, which the above came from:

http://www.photoworkshop.com/canon/
    Michael B.
    Canon 5D2, 550D, Sony NEX 5N, Sigma 15mm fish, 24L mkI, 35L, 40mm f/2.8, 50 1.8 II, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 macro, 60mm macro, 100mm f/2, 70-200 f/4, 200 f/2.8 mk I, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, 430EX. Growing list of MF lenses!

Thanks, Michael. That site has a nice review of stuff I learned and then forgot. So the answer to my original question is that "partial" metering on the XTi is like "spot," only with a bigger spot.
    Adam
    -------------

My Etsy store

Partial metering is the closest you wil get to spot metering on the xti, 9% if I can remember correctly

Quote Originally Posted by zmikers View Post
    Partial metering is the closest you wil get to spot metering on the xti, 9% if I can remember correctly
    Correct, 3% on the 30D, 9% on the XTi. Really, both are in fact "spot" metering, but Canon calls it partial on the XTi to make their more expensive models sound better. The real world difference between a 3% and a 9% spot meter is a lot less than most people think.
    EOS Rebel XTi
    EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM
    Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC
    EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM

Well, seeing that 9% is a pretty small spot, I'll just tell myself that I've basically got spot metering by a different name, and use that. Time to move on and learn how to use that spot....
    Adam
    -------------

My Etsy store