Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: D40, or D80

Feeling the need to chime in here guys, you know sometimes it is, what it is. A compact dslr that's capable of preforming well right out the box. Hop on the 18-200 with a 1.5 factor and there is a distinct possibility that it would be a very versatile and capable camera. I'm choosing the D40 because it fits a specific need. Does that make it a wrong or an incorrect decision because I did not choose a D50, D80, or D200 over it?

More than any other item in Nikon line up I want a specific prime the most. But, in practicle terms because of what I want to accomplish it's not the right puchase to make at this time. Because it would do a lot of sitting around as would a D50, D80, or D200. The D40 will allow me to keep a camera with me most of the time and not be obstrusive.

Now granted this camera may not fit into everyones schema, but it fits mines pretty well. Most of the arguments against it are not really important to me. You can't auto focus with an AF lens... OK how bout not buying any then. It's a dumbed down dSLR... well I guess I'll feel like a real genius then. lol Not enough dedicated buttons, dials, top LCD... there's something to be said for simplicity.

Money is not an issue with me I could purchase my choice of either of these cameras. Nor am I intimidated by the technical challenges of the higher end cameras. The D40 just fits my needs at this time... it can be that simple.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Still not sure

Thanks for all the info...WOW I thought I was close, I have been "researching" since last November.
    I keep going back and switching my mind...its almost as if I have to much info.
    I hate to bring this up but I was cheching prices at a local big box store today and they let me know about the XTI discount, it seems that it is 899 - 10% + 75 in gift card.
    I do like the Nikons better but if I can get this thing for about 735 is it worth it..again I am new to dslr.....

Thanks again for all the info.

Quote Originally Posted by highenuff View Post
    I do like the Nikons better but if I can get this thing for about 735 is it worth it..again I am new to dslr.....

Thanks again for all the info.
    If you like the Nikons better then dont hesitate. I applaud you for doing research BEFORE you buy your camera, but 3 months is a bit long lol. Im pretty sure you have all the info you need to make a sound decision, the time you continue to spend on decision making is time you could be spending taking wonderful photos.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

As far as the XTi goes... Really, get to a shop where you can get the D40, D50, D80 (if that is still consideration), and the XTi in your hands... and shoot with them. Put them in manual mode (even if you don't feel real comfortable with that right now) to see how easy it is to make changes. Note how they feel in your hands. Take memory cards with you SD for these Nikons (not sure what the XTi takes off hand) so that you can look at the results on a computer later.

Here is why... You might grow your skills to where you don't want to just throw it in AUTO mode. In that case, you want to know how easy it is to adjust the most important settings. Your hands might prefer the feel of one over the other. You may realize as another poster pointed out, that you don't want a plethora of dedicated buttons, or you may see that dedicated buttons have a use for you. These are all important things to consider. Also, you want to think about build quality, does it feel like it will last? Also, there are specs that are very hard to find about expected lifetime. For instance, the D80 i believe is expected to last through more clicks than any of the other ones mentioned.... but do you think you will take anywhere near enough photos for that to matter?

Lots of stuff to think about. But really - putting them in your hands is very important. They all look similar on your computer screen. They look very different in person. They FEEL even MORE different.
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8D (If you don't have it you need it)
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR II
    SB-600
    Bogen/Manfrotto Tripods/Heads
    NAS (D300, Nikkor 80-200mm (or 70-200mm)f/2.8, Tamron 90mm Macro)

The Search is FINALLY OVER!

Thanks again for all the input.
    Today I went and played with all three, took pictures printed them and blew up and cropped.
    From the outset it was a two horse race...the Nikon D40, or 80. The cannon was not bad, the Nikons I felt were a bit better. I decided to go with the D40 this is my firs dslr so the lens issue does not really bug me. Also I did not want to feel like there was two much. I figure I can start with this and up-grade in a few years.

Again thanks to all who have helped me through this difficult but fun process....lol

Thumbs up

totally agree with tcad, going and using/playing around them is essential.

congrats on the new toy, enjoy

Congratulations! Just have fun shooting a bunch of pics.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Don't b a stranger... and post some pics in the photo of the day! congrats!
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8D (If you don't have it you need it)
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR II
    SB-600
    Bogen/Manfrotto Tripods/Heads
    NAS (D300, Nikkor 80-200mm (or 70-200mm)f/2.8, Tamron 90mm Macro)