Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Tamron lenses with IF?

I was just reading the Tamron site and noticed that a few lenses are listed with IF (internal focusing). Does this mean they are similar to Nikkor AF-S lenses and will AF on the D40? I haven't seen them on any compatibility lists, so I'm assuming no but want to double check. If not, what exactly is Tamron's IF?
    "Saturate yourself with your subject and the camera will all but take you by the hand." ~ Margaret Bourke-White

Nikon D80 ~ Tamron 28-75/2.8 ~ Nikon 50/1.8 ~ Tamron 90/2.8 Di Macro ~ SB-600

Internal focussing means that it can focus without moving its front element. Many lenses have to move the front lens element (and some internal elements) backwards and forwards to move. This takes quite some force and therefore such lenses focus slower.

Internal focussing lenses do not move the front element which makes focussing faster. I believe internal focussing also includes that the front element does not rotate meaning that you can easily use polarisers and graduated neutral density filters on this type of lens.

However, when a lens has internal focussing it does not mean it can autofocus on a D40. Only lenses that have a focus motor in the lens can do that. I believe all Tamron lenses do not have a focus motor, so none of them will focus on your D40.

Only Sigma's HSM and Nikkor's AFs lenses can focus on a D50.
    Nikon D-50
    // Nikkor 70-300 f/4-5.6 VR // Nikkor 50 mm f/1.8
    // Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 ...// Nikon SB-600
    // Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6......// Nikon Series E 135 mm f/2.8
    // Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro....// Manfrotto 190XPROB + 488RC4
    // Nikkor 35 f/1.8..........// Sigma 500 mm f/8

My website: http://www.dennisdolkens.nl

Thank you!
    "Saturate yourself with your subject and the camera will all but take you by the hand." ~ Margaret Bourke-White

Nikon D80 ~ Tamron 28-75/2.8 ~ Nikon 50/1.8 ~ Tamron 90/2.8 Di Macro ~ SB-600