Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Kodak Z612 Movie Mode

I've noticed two problems with the Z612's movie mode and am wondering if there is a way to correct this.

1) When zooming in or out, focus is lost and movie is completely blurred.

2) When zooming in or out, sound becomes very faint, and is not audible.

Any ideas??? This actually really has ticked me off.

No one has any ideas?

1). Make sure you have the Auto Focus set to Continuous when shooting a movie.

2). The Kodak ultrazooms (P850, P712 and Z612) have noisy zooms - either you can't hear the environment sounds because of the zoom noise or they turn down the record level on the Z612 when zooming to avoid recording the noise.

The focus is set on continuous.

In normal conditions it goes out of focus briefly after zooming but should refocus immediately after that. If it remains out of focus with continuous focus it might be defective...
    Have you tried setting the focus to center zone or spot? It should focus faster than in multi-zone.

It does refocus, but then constantly goes in and out of focus even if the camera moves an inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarius89 View Post
    I've noticed two problems with the Z612's movie mode and am wondering if there is a way to correct this.

Make sure you set the IS to"OFF" or you will get that low background screechy noise.
    Do you also hear the clicking noise and color artifacts when panning from highly contrasting areas?

response from kodak about this problem..

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarius89 View Post

I emailed Kodak and they supplied this response...

"Thank you for your e-mail regarding zooming feature not being of the greatest.

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done with regards to correcting the focus during zooming in on video. The noise disruption is caused by the lens retracting in and out. One thing certain digital cameras would not be as perfect as a video camera.
    "

In my opinion it is not the best idea of Kodaks to put a funtion on a camera which they know doesn't work properly and use it as a selling point.

I think they will have a lot of z612s returned because of this.

Also I have had a lot of trouble trying to obtain a spare Klic 8000 rechargeable battery. Contacted Kodak and they said they didn't have any in stock and it would be a back order. That was several weeks ago and I am still waiting. Comet, currys and local independents do not stock it either. Even the online retailer I bought it from doesn't stock the batteries...

Another mistake of Kodaks not to make it compatible with normal metal hydride batteries as well as lithium ion.....