Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Z612, 710, 650...confused

I'm just wondering how bulky the Kodak Z612 is? It looks like it'll be a good camera for what I want it for (landscapes, indoors, concerts) but I'm just concerned about how heavy it is and the size...I don't need a camera that fits into your pocket, but maybe into an average sized pocketbook and not weigh me down. Is the Z612 really bulky?
    I also have a question about models like the Z710 or Z650...I know they don't have image stabilizer, but there's an anti-blur type feature. What's that like, and does it help in the quality of the pictures or no? They're a bit more in my price range, but if the quality isn't good due to the lack of image stabilization, then I probably wouldn't want it. Also, do they operate well in low light settings and have good video? Any advice would be great.

The Z612 is not bulky for an ultrazoom. It does video at 30 fps, the Z650 only at 11 fps, and the Z710 only at 10.5 fps. So the Z612 video is much better.

Are you sure the Z650 and Z710 have anti-blur? I haven't seen that at all.

Steve's has a review of the Z650. He liked it but not the movie mode:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../z650_pg5.html

The Z612 is on Steve's list of best zooms, the Z650 and Z710 aren't. How much more does the Z612 cost? $50? $75? It's probably worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by bascom View Post
    The Z612 is not bulky for an ultrazoom. It does video at 30 fps, the Z650 only at 11 fps, and the Z710 only at 10.5 fps. So the Z612 video is much better.

Are you sure the Z650 and Z710 have anti-blur? I haven't seen that at all.

Steve's has a review of the Z650. He liked it but not the movie mode:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../z650_pg5.html

The Z612 is on Steve's list of best zooms, the Z650 and Z710 aren't. How much more does the Z612 cost? $50? $75? It's probably worth it.
    I thought I read something related to blur...maybe it was just a blur indicator or something...like if a picture is blurry, a little indicator will show up to let you know. But, I've got shaky hands, so just a blur indicator won't help in the picture not coming out blurry at all...I'd probably need the image stabilizor to protect against blur.

The Z612 costs about $330, but I'm sure if I let my fingers do the walking and research different sites I could find it for cheaper (hopefully). I'm a little worried about how it would operate in low light settings like concerts...do you know how it would? I'm not too intelligent with the different lingo...I know that a high ISO is important as well as shutter speed. Concerts are where I'd be using the camera a lot. My brother told me to get the C875, but that only has 5x zoom (and no image stabilizer)...the 12x will be MUCH better (even though the weight increases by like 6 oz). Any insight on the Z612's performance in low light settings would be very helpful...thanks.
    Last edited by justagirl; 11-02-2006 at 01:16 PM.

I can't answer the low-light performance but if you read the Z612 review at Steve's it may help: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/z612.html

The Z612 was only $300 at circuitycity.com when I checked yesterday. All of these Kodak's have slow download speed so you would need to buy a card reader. I prefer USB 2.0 high speed cameras.

I bought my Z612 at Beach Camera for about $315 two weeks ago. It arrived 3 days after I placed the order which kinda surprised me because I didn't pay extra for fast shipping. About a week after I placed my order, I noticed that the price on the Beach webpage was down to about $300. Since this is my first digital camera and I've only taken about 50 pictures with it, I can't tell you much about picture quality or taking pictures in low light without a flash. The few pictures that I have taken look good in the 2.5" LCD, but I haven't uploaded them to my computer or printed them. I bought the Z612 based on Steve's review. I almost bought the Panasonic TZ1 but I'm glad now that I didn't because I would have missed not having a viewfinder. The LCD resolution on the Z612 is one of the best of the superzooms, but I had a hard time seeing it today in bright sunlight and I was very glad I could use the viewfinder to frame my pictures. The Z612 is smaller than the S3IS or the H5 and weighs less, too.

Jesse

Kodak Z-612

I own and use a Kodak Z-612 extensively. I also do a lot of concert shots and stage lighting shots and it does a good job.

SL

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly View Post
    I own and use a Kodak Z-612 extensively. I also do a lot of concert shots and stage lighting shots and it does a good job.

SL
    Thanks...I plan on using it at concerts a lot. Do you use the video at concerts? If so, are you happy with it's peformance?

Fuji S-6000fd

Bear in mind that the light level available at any concert is highly important. The Kodak Z-612 does fine with lots of stage lighting. However, the Fuji S-6000fd can operate well in even less lighting. However, it is larger and is selling for about $375.

Here is a sample photo using the S-6000. It was taken at ISO 800/handheld/noflash.

SL/Sarah

The Missing Photo

I had a problem attaching the photo. I apologize

SL/Sarah
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey! I know you said you sometimes use your Z612 at concerts. I was just wondering what are good modes and settings (ISO, aperture, etc) to use at concerts? I still have to review the manual more, but I'm attending a concert on Saturday night and it'll be my first time really using the camera...don't wanna mess up my pictures too much. I'm hoping to be close to the stage, so I'm assuming I might not need to use the flash too much (unless there's not much light on the performer). Someone said the Sports mode might be a good mode for some shots...probably will reduce the blurriness from all the action and moving around that the performer does. Also the P mode is good, but you and the performer have to be perfectly still. Would it be best to put the ISO and F-stop at the highest settings? Are there other settings I should do? I know I should just play around with it a lot, but any kind of advice you could give would be great since you use the camera in this type of situation often. Thanks!