Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Desperately Seeking Fish tips!

Help! Anyone got any tips on photographing fish? Finding it very difficult!!! Best two thus far.. 'almost' get away with poor focus at this size but any bigger and they give the game away!!!!

I'm using a Canon S2. With macro/supermacro I struggle to get a focus at all, with the Raynox macro lens added I get this but still not getting the sharp focus or real detail that I would like...
    Olympus E500, Zuiko 17.5-45mm, Canon S2, Raynox DCR-250 more here http://www.snappycat.co.uk

You're taking these through the glass of the tank, or are you using an underwater camera housing?

Through the glass I'm afraid - a housing would cost more than my camera
    Olympus E500, Zuiko 17.5-45mm, Canon S2, Raynox DCR-250 more here http://www.snappycat.co.uk

You might have some luck with a polarizing filter (linear -- you don't need circular for the S2). That'll cut down on the incidence of reflection from the glass, which should both make the pictures more clear and help the autofocus system actually target the fish instead of the tank.

I haven't actually tried this except for a few random shots at the New England Aquarium, where I found my filter was pretty helpful. (Sorry, nothing online.)

I can't get pics of my fish either. They turn out terrible.
    Happy owner of a few canon cameras

Canon 40D
    Sigma 18-200 f3.5-6.3 DC OS
    Canon 50mm 1.8
    Canon 420ex
    UV Filter

Canon S3 IS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69023502@N00/

Will definitely try a filter - think I have one floating about somewhere! I'm not really used to using a flash which adds to my difficulties! I dislike artificial brightness and am not experienced enough to get a natural look using it. Experimented a bit with paper this evening to try and diffuse the glare a little!!! Any more tips would be appreciated

Question The two you showed aren't bad...

Have you tried panning the fish, that is, moving the camera with the subject as it moves? Here's some old examples I once took with my Panasonic FZ15 a couple years back:

That one was at 1/4 second, and the fish was moving upward as I shot it. I just stayed with it through the exposure, and it turned out OK. The second one is at 1/10 of a second, same technique:

Let a be your umbrella!

Thumbs up Additional photo update...

I was shopping in Walmart a little while ago, and noticed that they have live fish. So, just happened to have my handy-dandy Panasonic FX50 in my pocket, I whipped it out and took a few fishy photos. The first one's at ISO 500, 1/125:

And the second one's at ISO 400, again at 1/125:

Generally, the fish were moving, but the higher ISOs let me use a faster shutterspeed. I still "panned" with the subject fish to get the shot.
    Let a be your umbrella!

If I used ISO 400 my photos would require considerable photoshop therapy!!!! I understand what you are saying though - I actually did track with most of my shots but the ones without flash were still poorer than those with. I can see this may be a little trial and error to get a happy balance

Red face Re: Fish flash?

Quote Originally Posted by cat View Post
    If I used ISO 400 my photos would require considerable photoshop therapy!!!! I understand what you are saying though - I actually did track with most of my shots but the ones without flash were still poorer than those with. I can see this may be a little trial and error to get a happy balance
    The problem with flash would be that the light from the flash would reflect off the exterior walls of the tank, wouldn't it? I didn't mention for my goldfish that I was shooting these little fishes fairly closeup, in full wideangle. Gets harder as you get further away. The Jellyfish shots were at ~140mm equivalent. Flash also wouldn't let you track fish movement for slow shots.
    Let a be your umbrella!