Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My first night pics

After forno's beautiful night pics, I decided to bring my equipment this out this evening to Lake Eola, in downtown Orlando, Florida.

I used both my kit lense and the Sigma 55-200mm.

Contructive critism is welcome.
    Last edited by 99allturbo; 01-21-2007 at 07:52 PM.
    Carlos // Canon 40D/ XTi

Good work there!

I see you got some nice still water for the reflections. Not sure how dark it was when you took these but my shots I had to purposely under expose by a stop or so to get them to look more like a night shot rather than a dusk/dawn shot. One of the hardest things for me is to get the camera to see what I see, not what it judges as optimal exposure
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

It very close to what you see in the pics. It was not dark just yet, but I believe picture #2 and #3 is a bit overexposed. For now I'm happy to have gotten some farily sharp pictures. Thanks!
    Last edited by 99allturbo; 01-21-2007 at 07:52 PM.
    Carlos // Canon 40D/ XTi

The first one looks good, but IMO the last 2 are overexposed. Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by forno View Post
    One of the hardest things for me is to get the camera to see what I see, not what it judges as optimal exposure
    lol, ain't it the truth.
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Quote Originally Posted by 99allturbo View Post
    It very close to what you see in the pics. It was not dark just yet, but I believe picture #2 and #3 is a bit overexposed. For now I'm happy to have gotten some farily sharp pictures. Thanks!
    So you should be
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by D Thompson View Post
    The first one looks good, but IMO the last 2 are overexposed. Nice job.
    Thanks Dennis. You know thinking back when I took those two overexposed pictures, I do remember seeing them overexposed on the lcd, but I don't know why I never went back to take the picture again with less exposure.
    Carlos // Canon 40D/ XTi

i know i'm not the person to be saying this....but if it were me, i'd try and straighten up the shore line...and take out whatever that is creeping in the top of the pic. other than that, i wish i'd taken it.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

True, I overlooked how straight the buildings were. I need to straighten out the picture.

Do you mean the moving clouds in the second pic? If so, I can't cut much of it out because of the top of the building.

Thanks
    Last edited by 99allturbo; 01-22-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    Carlos // Canon 40D/ XTi

no i'm talking about the first pic..there's something in the very top middle. maybe the moon or something???

i don't know if you use photoshop, but turning on the grid can help you line up your picture straight. if you already knew that then sorry, i'm really posting this to help other people who've never thought to use the grid.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

Yes that's the moon, it would look better without it. I do use PS, but never used the grid before, so I appreciate you mentioning it. I'm open to tips and techniques, even if I was being told something I already knew. Thanks again.
    Carlos // Canon 40D/ XTi