Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

nillydog Guest

Canon S3 IS Lens Cap

I just got a new Canon S3, and I notice that my lens cap falls off easily. Neither my camera store nor a Canon tech at Macworld seemed to have an answer for me. Is there another lens cap that I can purchased which will stay on and protect my lens, or a way to to keep the one I have on?

The lens cap of the S3 IS is designed to fall-off easily so that when you accidentally turn on the camera with the lens cap on, the lens will just push out the cap. If the camera was turned on and the lens was restricted, the zoom mechanism can be damaged.

To get around this, you can add some tape or felt strips on the inside of the cap to make it tighter.

You can also half the length of the string and after placing the cap, rotate the cap such that the string is tight. It gives the cap a little "pull".

You can also buy a lens adapter (like in www.lensmateonline.com) and a lens cap for the adapter to protect the entire lens barrel (and zoom mechanism). Add a UV filter to further protect the lens.
    An S3 IS and D80 Shooter
    Visit my photo gallery

Very well said nap.
    I second the motion.
    Personally, I prefer the latter. I use the adapter and a filter to protect the lens from dents and dusts. then I use a standard canon 58mm cap built for SLRs.
    Although this will make your S3 permanently longer which i personally like, giving a more SLR look and feel.
    Canon PS G9, PS G7, PS S3IS
    LENS: DCR-6600PRO, DCR-250, DCR-2020PRO, TC-DC58B, TC-DC58C, 500D macro 58
    FILTR: Canon UV 58mm, Raynox PL 52mm, Canon CPL 52mm, Hakuba S-Wide CPL 58mm
    FLASH: Canon 430EX, Canon OC-E3 cord, Sto-fen omni, Panasonic PE-28S

My flickr

The lens adapter also gives you an additional place to hold the camera. Great for stabilizing macro shots, long zoom shots, and long exposure shots. I don't have a UV filter yet but I don't remove the lens adapter (the front has no lens at all!) for protection of the barrel.
    An S3 IS and D80 Shooter
    Visit my photo gallery

Then add a lens and it REALLY looks like an SLR

Last edited by BowerR64; 01-22-2007 at 06:53 PM.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

Since I don't like using the neck strap, I use to loop the lens cap leash thru one of the strap eyelets. Now I loop the leash around a wrist strap that is inserted thru the eyelet...it has a buckle release so pressing it both come off.

Sorry to ressurect this old post...but where do I find this add-on lens? This is exactly what I'm looking for my S3is. I've done some web searching but have come up empty.

Let me know...thanks!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
    Then add a lens and it REALLY looks like an SLR

Quote Originally Posted by domozitolk View Post
    Sorry to ressurect this old post...but where do I find this add-on lens? This is exactly what I'm looking for my S3is. I've done some web searching but have come up empty.

Let me know...thanks!

Rob
    Most of those are crap. But there are a few good ones. Optically, the Canon tele (TC-DC58B) and wide (WC-DC58A) converters are the best...but...they lack front threads, so you can't use filters with them. Next best would be the Raynox tele (Raynox DCR-1540Pro) and wide (Raynox 6600 .66x 52mm) converters.

To mount the Canon converters you need a 58mm adpater. The Canon model is the LAH-DC20 and it includes a lens hood. To mount the Raynox converters you need a 52mm adapter and the best place to get one is at Lensmate:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2.html

They also have some sample shots on the Lensmate site...
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Thanks....much appreciated.