Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Which camera is good for a pre-teen?

I am looking to get my daughter a camera for her birthday. She is going to be 12, and so far she is taking some pretty nice pictures on my camera. (I have a Fuji F10.)

Budget
    I am hoping to spend about $100.

Size

I am thinking more of a point and shoot type camera for her.

Features

I really do not care about the megapixels. She is not going to be printing from home. She might want to order 4x6 copies from shutterfly or snapfish. Standard optical zoom is probably fine. I would like for her to be able to nice pictures, so she will not be frustrated like I was in the past. I do NOT want manual controls for her, since I am still trying to learn my basic settings. (And I am planning on getting myself a DSLR soon.)

General Usage

This is going to be a fun camera for her to dip her feet into the water and have a good time with.

Miscellaneous

I haven't even started looking. Is it stupid to get her the same kind I have? Is mine outdated? Would it be better to get her a bigger P&S so if she wants to take out door pictures and use a higher zoom? Are any of the older panasonic FZ cameras a good deal? I don't mind getting her a discontinued model if it is a good one.

TIA for any help you all can give me.
    Leah

Yours is a great camera. The newer F-series Fujis are even better, and you can get the F20 for about $160. An older Panasonic model might not be a bad choice -- the Lumix DMC-LZ3 is around the same price, and makes a nice complement to the Fuji as they have basically opposite strengths. But I don't think I'd go much older than that -- if you go back more than three years or so, cameras were typically a lot slower and a lot less light-sensitive.

Really, my suggestion is to give her your F10 and buy yourself the dSLR.

I would love to just give her my camera, except that this is a birthday present ... don't feel right giving her a "used" camera as a birthday present.

What about the Fuji A500? I can get it for about a hundred.

Leah

Quote Originally Posted by mugsisme View Post
    I would love to just give her my camera, except that this is a birthday present ... don't feel right giving her a "used" camera as a birthday present.
    Yeah, fair enough.

What about the Fuji A500? I can get it for about a hundred.
    I haven't used it, but it looks decent enough for a starter camera. However, from the review at
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A500/A500A.HTM , there's lot of cons over the F20 -- poor speed, LCD hard to use outdoors, smaller sensor *and* a darker lens. And, since it uses AA batteries, you'll need to figure in the cost of a set of NiMH batteries and a good charger if you don't have one already, so that could add $40 to the price.

Quote Originally Posted by mattdm View Post
    you'll need to figure in the cost of a set of NiMH batteries and a good charger if you don't have one already, so that could add $40 to the price.
    LOL! She saw that I had opened the F20, and did a comparison on DPreview between the two of them, and she has decided that she wants the F20. I can't have my DD have a better camera than me! the only drawback I see to the A500 is that there is no sound in movie mode. I already explained to her that it is slow and what that means.

Leah