Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Smile Camera batteries

Ok. So I went out and bought a digital camera that does what I want but then oh dear I discovered it has it's own purpose made battery which costs 30+ to replace. What are peoples opinion of these things? Should I take it back and change it for one that uses standard AA batteries? I have little use for a digital (I still like film. They are 'proper' cameras ) and at least I could use those batteries for something else will the digital isnt in use which will be often. What do you think?

Roger

Hi Roger:

Why buy a digital camera if you don't like them? And, if you don't use it much, then you probably won't deplete the battery in one day, so what's the issue?

The majority of cameras have semi-proprietary batteries. The Canon A series uses AA's for the most part, however.

I'd return the camera if the seller accepts ussed merchandise, and get a brick of film :-)
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Hi SpecialK. So I can use it for eBay. That's about it. Plus using 35mm for getting in close, about 1cm, means buying a very expensive lens. Thanks for your reply.

In general, I think the proprietary lithium batteries are preferable to AAs. They're smaller and lighter for the same amount of stored power.

Worse, because of voltage characteristics, Alkaline AA batteries will only get you a few dozen shots per charge, so you'll need to buy NiMH rechargeables and a charger separately. (Still cheaper than a second proprietary lithium battery, but you don't really need a second one anyway.)

See now I didnt know that. Which is why I asked the question rather than rush back to the shop. If I take the batt out when not in use will that lengthen the batt life? Thanks for your reply.

Quote Originally Posted by mattdm View Post
    In general, I think the proprietary lithium batteries are preferable to AAs. They're smaller and lighter for the same amount of stored power.

Worse, because of voltage characteristics, Alkaline AA batteries will only get you a few dozen shots per charge, so you'll need to buy NiMH rechargeables and a charger separately. (Still cheaper than a second proprietary lithium battery, but you don't really need a second one anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by ukdodger View Post
    See now I didnt know that. Which is why I asked the question rather than rush back to the shop. If I take the batt out when not in use will that lengthen the batt life? Thanks for your reply.
    It shouldn't matter too much. Lithium batteries do a pretty good job of holding the charge. If you're not using the camera for a long time, it's actually better for it to store it at around 40% charge -- but this isn't a significant deal. It should last a really long time and be able to be recharged many many times. Really, the only reason you'd need to buy a second one is if you're out shooting for an extended period of time, and sounds like you won't be doing that.