Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon G7 Whirring Sound Etc

Hi, Can anyone advise me. I bought a Canon G7 in early Dec and it appears to be a great camera other than the following :-
    Like all new toys it took a few days to familiarize myself with it.The first thing that I noticed was a somewhat noisy auto focus ( compared to the G6 ) and the battery ran down very quick, far quicker than I would have expected.
    I then tried the movie mode, and was surprised to hear a lot of background noise on playback. Another movie shot was taken in a totally quiet room --- again lots of background noise. I soon realised that the noise was being generated by the camera itself. If the camera is held to the ear a whirring sound can be heard, something like a hard drive in a laptop or a mini fan running.

Canon UK was contacted and the person I spoke to did not know the answer, but promised to come back to me and they did --- stating that the camera should not make a noise that I described and to send it back to the supplier.

Today I received a replacement, but this one has the same noise.

My question is, can any other owner of the Canon G7 hear a noise. The answer may be that all G7's make the noise or I have been unlucky and had two bad ones.

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter.

I'm willing to bet you are hearing the IS working or the motor that zooms the lens.

Check this lens theory by, turning the camera to review mode then turn on the camera. You probably won't hear that motor/fan sound when the lens is not extended.
    Last edited by RebelRat; 01-08-2007 at 04:14 PM.

The noise is still there even with the AF mode set to single and the IS Mode set to off.

P.S. Noise still evident with the camera set to review ! ! !

Was the lens retracted? If the lens is out, the motor will still run.

other than that, i have no idea.

Hi again,

Your comments are really appreciated.

Looks like I did not give it time.

In review mode and after the lens retracts the sound goes. Are you saying that in picture taking mode a motor is always running ?. I was comparing the G7 with my G6 which does not exhibit this noise. Is the G7 a totally different concept from the G6.

If this noise is standard for the G7, then it's a bit poor in movie mode when the microphone can pick it up.

Do you have the G7 and does yours have this noise in picture take mode ?

I've got a SD700IS. I can hear the sound on it, but, it is very faint. I'd have to put my ear right up to it.

I guess it's just a newer drive system. My older A75 does not make any sounds.

My canon S5 IS makes that same noise, both in picture taking mode and in review mode with the lens retracted. I think that there is no reason a spinning sound should be audible in these cameras, especially in review mode. These camera's do not have internal hard drives which means it makes no sense to me.

I have a G7.
    After reading your post, I tried a some things with my G7 just to hear the noise you refer to. I couldnt hear any troubling noise at all. There are faint motor whirling sounds when zooming and during start-up and shut down when the lens extends and retracts. Also, it would make some motor sounds during focusing (half pressing the shutter). I also could not notice annoying background sounds in videos. Although, when you shoot a movie in a very quiet room, you tend to hear that "sound of silence" kindda sound. That faint humming kind.

Anyway, I can think 1 scenario why you may hear motors running. The G7 is set by default to have a continuous AF Mode. With this, your camera tries to focus all the time. So, for example when you turn the camera so you can put your ear near to it, you are actually moving the focus frame in many different directions and the G7 is constantly trying to adjust focus. So you hear the motor sounds. Try selecting Single AF Mode instead. You would loose a bit of "start-shooting" time but you also save some essential battery power.

Why would there still be sounds during review? I couldnt hear anything in playback mode. I mean, the lens is not extended at all, right?

Hope you can resolve your problem. good luck. Keep us updated. Happy shooting!
    Canon PS G9, PS G7, PS S3IS
    LENS: DCR-6600PRO, DCR-250, DCR-2020PRO, TC-DC58B, TC-DC58C, 500D macro 58
    FILTR: Canon UV 58mm, Raynox PL 52mm, Canon CPL 52mm, Hakuba S-Wide CPL 58mm
    FLASH: Canon 430EX, Canon OC-E3 cord, Sto-fen omni, Panasonic PE-28S

My flickr