Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

A80 replacement worth wait?

I know, I know, I'm beating a dead horse here, but was wondering...

How much was the A80 when it first came out?

I can find a good bundle for around $300. My only concern with waiting for the replacement this fall is that the replacement is going to be more of a price jump rather than an feature jump, and I won't be able to get the A80 if the replacement is way too $$$.

I'm not in a huge hurry to get one right away (within the next 6 months probably). Am I taking a risk waiting, or will the A80 still be available after the new one comes out?

Also, I've heard things about some versions of the A80 being assembled in China rather than Japan, and there are huge quality gaps. Any truth to this? I really don't care one way or another, just as long as the quality is good. Any/all comments appreciated!

Does the A80 do what you want? Then buy it. $300 seems like a great price. Let us know if you actually get it for that price.

Assembly in China should make no difference in quality. Chinese manufacturing is as good as anywhere. They have come a long way in the past 10 years.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Does the A80 do what you want? Then buy it. $300 seems like a great price. Let us know if you actually get it for that price.

Assembly in China should make no difference in quality. Chinese manufacturing is as good as anywhere. They have come a long way in the past 10 years.
    Chinese goods are very varied. If they are told exactly the quality they should produce then they will produce to exactly that quality - no more and no less. If the quality is left to them then it will be as low as they think they can get away with. Thus, if the quality specified is high then the goods will be excellent. If no quality is specified, it'll be abysmal. It depends on the manufacturer or importer how well they specify the quality.

Generally, if you buy a Nikon camera made in China to Nikon standards then it will be as good as Nikon's ordinary standards. If you buy a cheap watch made in China for some tuppany-ha'pence shop then you'll get a cheap watch-like object that might even work for a few hours.

I'll remember that when I'm arguing relative quality issues in Shanghai necxt month.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/