Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Adam Dicker Guest

Flash does not stay down

My D70 internal flash will not stay down. Any suggestions?
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Dicker
    My D70 internal flash will not stay down. Any suggestions?
    Adam
    Do you have it set to full auto? If you do the flash will come on whenever it's needed. You can switch to "P" mode and still have auto exposure and aperature but the flash will only fire when you pop it up manually.
    Last edited by BigConig; 12-02-2004 at 11:10 AM.

alanl56 Guest

Flash won't stay down

My D70 did the same thing. None of the settings changed that. Finally had to send it in for repair. It was a problem they were aware of. Never did hear why it happened but they repaired it, and did a few other nice things to the camera while they had it. Like cleaning the CCD, and updating the firmware.
    Luckily it happened while still on warranty. It didn't cost me anything and the camera seemed to work better after the repair in general. The only thing negative was the time required to do the repair. Took almost 8 weeks. I had to call to 'urge' a faster turn around.

wow 8 weeks waiting patiently might not work for me

Quote Originally Posted by stephe
    wow 8 weeks waiting patiently might not work for me
    Check to see if there is a local camera repair that can fix the problem, or take it back to the store you bought it from and ask for a replacement.

Other than that a small, strategically placed, pad of velcro might work. I know that sounds "klugie" for a $1000 camera, but if you do it right it won't look out-of place, and you won't have to give up shooting for 8 weeks.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BigConig
    Do you have it set to full auto? If you do the flash will come on whenever it's needed. You can switch to "P" mode and still have auto exposure and aperature but the flash will only fire when you pop it up manually.
    Really? I'm wondering if my camera is doing something wrong as well. Right now, if I put my camera mode to P, I have no way to turn off the flash. If I push the flash button to change the type of flash (ie, red eye, slow syncrho, etc), the flash will pop up. I can push it down again, but there seems to be no way for me to override and turn off flash altogether.

Am I not understanding this correctly?

Thanks.