Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Filter recommendation

Just got an 18-200 VR lens. I would like to purchase an everyday filter to use to protect the lens. Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    Just got an 18-200 VR lens. I would like to purchase an everyday filter to use to protect the lens. Any recommendations?
    you probably got the nikon 18-200 VR.....i personally use the HOYA 67MM S-HMC UV FILTER......i also have hte same lense

Since the lens (18-200mm VR) is already slow enough, I stopped using my UV filter a couple months back. After reading some articles on it, I found that the current coatings on the lenses are pretty good, and that even if the lens does get scratched, very minor scratches probably wouldn't show up unless shooting directly into sunlight.

The only time I am using a UV filter recently, is when I am shooting a race (where sticky rubber marbles and specks fly off the track), or when I am shooting an outdoor scene where a graduated ND filter would probably be a better choice anyway!

The UV filter I have (I can't remember the brand off-hand) set me back close to $100.
    Nikon D70s
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8D (If you don't have it you need it)
    Nikkor 18-200mm VR II
    SB-600
    Bogen/Manfrotto Tripods/Heads
    NAS (D300, Nikkor 80-200mm (or 70-200mm)f/2.8, Tamron 90mm Macro)

Here is my recommendation... dont use a filter. Its pointless. You have a thousand dollar piece of glass and you want to put a cheap piece in front of it?
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    Here is my recommendation... dont use a filter. Its pointless. You have a thousand dollar piece of glass and you want to put a cheap piece in front of it?
    i totally understand your point.....i dont agree or disagree as i dont really know what the difference is......i just followed what i've been suggested and add on the extra protection with a reasonable quality UV filter i presume......by adding that UV filter (the one i have).....is the image quality going to be decrease....what (bad) affect does it have........i like to learn more......i'm interested......

i think many of us are trying to buy peace for our mind when making the UV filter purchase........but if you can explain more about the technical behind the scene...that would be really help.........the UV filter i bought is not cheap compare to the lense $900.......it was like $50 for a peace of glass......

$50 for a filter is fairly cheap. You can do your own experimentations on the differences with and without the filter, since you have one. Some dont let in as much light and some can dull the image.

As for protection, it really isnt needed, especially if you use your lens hood. The only time a "protection" filter should be used is if you are in a high dusty or partical setting.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

$50 is fairly cheap for a filter.... but compare to the lense which is only $900....i feel it is decent.....anyways.....the reason for the filter is for protection.....from what.....i really dont know......i'm new......from dust i guess??.....i do see a lost of dust particle on top of the filter already......if i clean the lense often with a brush......is that going to scratch the lense?........also....to test with/without the lense...what is the best way?.....because i feel that my images are already very sharp with the filter on.......what would be a good setting to test the lense with and without the filter.......like for what kinda of environment and at what focal lenght?

---------------------------------
    my camera setting
    Nikon D80
    Nikon SB600
    Nikkor 18-200 VR
    HOYA 67MM S-HMC UV FILTER
    Kingmax 4GB 150x SD
    Last edited by shingfan; 12-29-2006 at 11:41 AM.

if it isn't a B+W filter then don't put any filter to the lens, cheaper filters only deteriorate the image quality, ghosting, flare, softness... so if it isn't a good filter, your lens cap protects your lens way better.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardofrances View Post
    if it isn't a B+W filter then don't put any filter to the lens, cheaper filters only deteriorate the image quality, ghosting, flare, softness... so if it isn't a good filter, your lens cap protects your lens way better.
    i've been told that my UV filter is decent....or it is still not a good filter for protection and it will degrade the quality of my images?....now i'm feeling a little scary

If you have a detailed figure -like a toy, sculpture, etc- do the test in a controlled environment with and without the filter, that is the only way to know for sure.