Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon S4 IS

dangerfield Guest

Question Canon S4 IS

When is Canon S4 IS coming out? I hope this will be a pocket friendly design.

Nobody knows but if it's the same as the S2 and S3 it will be announced in Feb and available in April or May.

Any why would you think it would be pocket friendly? I doubt size is the main concern on the new version of this camera.

I doubt it will shrink in size. Isn't a lot of the appeal of the S-series it's quality lens and zoom range? It's hard to keep that, let alone improve on it while trying to make it more compact at the same time. If you want smaller, go with a powershot.
    -Matt
    Ancient: Sony DSC-S85
    My Baby as of 12/25/06: Canon PowerShot A710IS

i just got my s3 IS a couple of months back and i have no regrets.

but if an S4 IS is indeed on the drawing board, i would be expecting a huge jump in features. otherwise, i wouldn't even bother of thinking of selling my S3 IS to get an S4.

here are some improvements that i had in mind (and i hope some canon R&D people can read this
    - a 3-stop menu option for noise filtering
    - if a f/1.5-f12.0 were possible on 12x,
    - probably 1k and up ISO, with way better performance on higher ISO settings
    - a fully manual white balance control would be crazy cool
    - digic3 processor (of course...)
    - i know this is unlikely but CMOS instead of CCD?
    - some more megapixels wouldn't hurt... though 8 sounds like a solid number
    - 2.5 and up LCD with more res, but not really important
    - a hot shoe of sorts would be nice (i love how i can bounce off a flash to a roof on dslrs)
    - unlimited video, and maybe 60fps on vga would be possible by now
    - divx video recording for better compression ^_^ (mp3 for audio stream instead of wav)
    - support for bigger and faster SD cards
    - 30 secs or longer shutter, and/or a manual shutter release option
    - flash compensation on manual mode (why the heck was this disabled on the S3 IS?!?)
    - more useful/advanced creative modes
    - and to top it all off, RAW would be nice

whaddya know - specs like this would almost kill a 350d... lol... but DSLRs will always be DSLRs. no substitute for semi - pro photography. anyway, looking forward to any news on this ^_^
    Last edited by ditchazeroth; 01-15-2007 at 01:12 PM.

I don't know if it would compare to the 350D.... I think the S3 is probably the best non SLR camera out there. If they could figure out a way to make the camera take the picture when the button is pressed that would be a huge improvement along with higher ISO performance. If they did just those two things I bet you would see less people upgrade to DSLRs. I'm hooked on my DSLR now... for me there is no turning back, I'm passed the point of no return though I bet there are many frustrated DSLR owners who just wanted a bit more from their camera's. Oh, and F stop should start at around 1.8 it's just more fun that way
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

f/1.8 on a P&S That would be great ... LOL and all the way up to f/11

Oh, and a hot shoe! All that for under $800 and they would have a winner!!
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

I'm not going to wait on the S4 I'll be picking up a D40 it's not much larger with than the S3. And would like to pair it with the Nikon's 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX. I know guys big dollar difference but I have invested around $1100 dollars between an S2 and S3. There are just some limitations that I can't overcome with the S series.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Maybe the S4 is on its way look at this pic from this site

http://www.taklong.com/canonlover/s-cl.php?No=92414

Lol! itīs in a site which language i canīt even pronounce a word! lol!!, but seriously i think itīs fake anyway, the only things i would very welcome in an update in the next canon SX serie is a better lens, say Carl Zeiss or Leica, better focus capability, and better low light response, all this will lead to a much better IQ which for me is the main drawback in the S3, one or two more mp would make it fine, 12X zoom are just fine, if canon does this leaving all current S3 features, the next SX would definitely beat all competitors...
    Attached Images Attached Images