Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Is a quantaray lens the same thing as a

sigma lens? I was looking for an 18-200mm lens for my Sony A100k at Ritz camera and they said the quantaray is made by Sigma so it's the same thing. Hmmm...whaddaya think? Thanks for any info!
    Kathy

I worked for Wolf Camera, same thing as Ritz Camera, and they told me that Tarmon makes Quantary lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by pagnamenta View Post
    I worked for Wolf Camera, same thing as Ritz Camera, and they told me that Tarmon makes Quantary lenses.
    It is a TAMRON lens.

This image is linked to the Ritz Camera web-site
    for the Quantaray-version

THis image is linked to the B&H Photography website for the TAMRON original

Knowing this, it makes you wonder if the 6-year warranty is available from Quantaray? I know Ritz is trying to sell extended warranties on the lens. You wouldn't need one if you bought it as a straight TAMRON ... you'd have your 6-year mfr. warranty. The price looks right about the same range, too. I don't know who is fooling who, but this does not look like any bargain.

Weird thing about these images ... the top image is of the 18-200mm for a Canon-mount, the bottom image is the correct 18-200 for the SONY, although both are suppose to be SONY mounts. You can tell by the location of the red alignment dot. On a SONY mount, the red dot is about half-an-inch further to the left as you look at it, bottom to top.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-11-2007 at 07:54 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Sorry

Don, but I can't see your images. I don't know why they never come up
    So are you saying Quantaray does not offer the 6 yr. warranty only Tamron does?

Cool TAMRON ... it's the only way

Well, it would appear that way. Obviously, that may be the Quantaray (grey market) solution for $30 less.

If you were going to buy the lens, I suggest getting a real TAMRON version, which guarantees the 6-year warranty (everything being the same, of course).
    Last edited by DonSchap; 03-11-2007 at 07:55 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Cool Use due care

There is some kind of warranty issue that needs to be resolved before I'd invest in anything other than TAMRON lensing.

flickr & Sdi

Don's absolutely right; the Tamron offers a six year warranty whereas the Quantary, the exact same lens, does not. You can buy the Quantary from Wolf/Ritz for a little cheaper because it's their own brand, but their warranty for the equivalent 6 years will be a lot more, maybe $150+, though they'll cover anything that happens to it.