Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Old Minolta lens

I have a old Minolta Maxxum i5000 with the AF 80-200/4.5-5.6 and AF 35-80/4-5.6 lenses. I think they will work with the Sony Alpha 100 can anyone confirm this one way or the other?
    ~JRidge

Take them into Best Buy and pop them on the store model, but I believe they are fine. I've got vintage-1985 glass on my SONY A100, it all works fine. It was the very reason I bought that dSLR.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Minolta Beer can

I bought the Minolta f4 "Beer Can" off ebay and popped it right on. It works and takes fabulous pics.

For what it is worth.
    Sony A100 Alpha purchased 11/21/06
    SAL 18-70mm

mel Pettit Guest

Minolta lens to Sony

I had a Minolta STSI with several af lens. when they went out of business I specifically bought a Sony 100K so I could and do use them. they work fine,
    And I have a question. Can I use the Quantaray flash with the sony My dealer (Ritz Camera) tells me I can't, but I feel he just might be trying to make a sale. Since I now own a Quanteray PZ-1-DS2 and a Nikon SB-50 DX I auxilary flash units, I am a little reluctant to buy another. Mel

Probably you can't. As A100 inherited the special hotshoe from KM A5D, most flashes don't fit

Quote Originally Posted by mel Pettit View Post
    I had a Minolta STSI with several af lens. when they went out of business I specifically bought a Sony 100K so I could and do use them. they work fine,
    And I have a question. Can I use the Quantaray flash with the sony My dealer (Ritz Camera) tells me I can't, but I feel he just might be trying to make a sale. Since I now own a Quanteray PZ-1-DS2 and a Nikon SB-50 DX I auxilary flash units, I am a little reluctant to buy another. Mel

Lightbulb Hot Shoe differences

The SONY A100 uses the "newer" (post 1995) Minolta-style hot shoe. Most other flashes, even older (pre-1995) Minolta flashes (2800AF and 4000AF) will NOT work with it.

It is very obvious to spot it, as instead of a flange at the bottom of the flash, it curls in, instead. In essense, it is proprietary.

See image:
    Name:  a100-top.jpg
Views: 3221
Size:  33.1 KB

Close-in on A100 hotshoe ...........vs .............. Canon XTi hotshoe
    Name:  a100-hotshoe.JPG
Views: 2237
Size:  5.9 KBName:  hotshoe.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  8.2 KB

It's not just a question of "fit", but the contacts won't even line up if you did manage to rig it. You'd need a special adapter (FS1100) that Minolta made several years ago. By now, there might even be new ones out there. They used to be scarce as hen's teeth to find. Try ebay.

I hope this clears things up ... and enjoy your new SONY flash if you get one. To reduce costs, I suggest getting the bigger one: SONY HVL-F56AM

Still, check out that adapter first ... about $15 - $25 on ebaY
    Last edited by DonSchap; 02-02-2007 at 02:14 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I don't know why SONY still chose to use this special designed KM-style hotshoe in A100

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    The SONY A100 uses the "newer" (post 1995) Minolta-style hot shoe. Most other flashes, even older (pre-1995) Minolta flashes (2800AF and 4000AF) will NOT work with it.

It is very obvious to spot it, as instead of a flange at the bottom of the flash, it curls in, instead. In essense, it is proprietary.

See image:
    Name:  a100-top.jpg
Views: 3221
Size:  33.1 KB

Close-in on A100 hotshoe ...........vs .............. Canon XTi hotshoe
    Name:  a100-hotshoe.JPG
Views: 2237
Size:  5.9 KBName:  hotshoe.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  8.2 KB

It's not just a question of "fit", but the contacts won't even line up if you did manage to rig it. You'd need a special adapter that Minolta made several years ago. They are like hen's teeth to find. Try ebay.

I hope this clears things up ... and enjoy your new SONY flash. Get the bigger one: SONY HVL-F56AM

Quote Originally Posted by Andyang View Post
    I don't know why SONY still chose to use this special designed KM-style hotshoe in A100
    Probably because the Alpha is mostly a rebadged 5D and that style flash shoe was already a part of the design.

Hi,

Check this site out for lens compatibility.

http://support.sony-europe.com/DIME/...en&m=DSLR-A100