Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Old Nikkor lenses and compatibility

So I'm thinking about jumping into the DSLR world (that, or a "bridge" superzoom ), and I was poking around at my Dad's place this last weekend.

He used to be a big photography hobbyist, and he's got an old 35mm film Nikon SLR with a bunch of lenses. By old, I'm talking like 20 or 30 years old. I'm wondering if any of his old lenses would fit on, say, a D50.

They're all Nikkor lenses. I meant to write down any info I could, but I forgot before we left. I remember a 50mm f/1.4, a 105mm f/2.5, a 70-200mm zoom, and some sort of macro lens. He also had another 70 or maybe 80-200 zoom that wasn't a Nikkor, but fit on the camera. All the lenses had manual aperture rings on them. The zooms had a push/pull mechanism, not a twist to zoom in/out - I'm not sure if this is normal or not. None of them said anything besides Nikkor, the focal length, and the aperture range on them. Most of them had a 6 or 8 digit number on them, and one of them said "Q" on it. One might have said "auto" on it as well.

Is this enough info to identify whether these will work, or am I way off here. I think it would make my decision a no-brainer if I could use these with a D50 body. Even if I got a kit lens with it, I could have a lot of fun playing with my dad's old collection.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been covered before. If so, a thread link would be appreciated.

-Brian
    Last edited by brian wahl; 12-18-2006 at 02:23 PM.

OK, so I found this chart and I think it might have shed some light on this.

I think the smallest aperture was written in orange, which might suggest an AI-S lens. Otherwise, I'm guessing they are AI lenses. None of them had a letter right after the word "Nikkor", so I'm thinking they aren't pre-AI lenses, which might mean I could use them..

I probably need to get my dad to send me more details about them.
    Last edited by brian wahl; 12-18-2006 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brian wahl View Post
    I think the smallest aperture was written in orange, which might suggest an AI-S lens. Otherwise, I'm guessing they are AI lenses. None of them had a letter right after the word "Nikkor", so I'm thinking they aren't pre-AI lenses, which might mean I could use them..
    AI lenses will work on your D50 but they are totally manual lenses. Meaning the D50 cannot meter at all so you will have to either use a hand held meter or just guess on what the exposure might be, with combinations between shutterspeed and the manual aperture. And you will have to focus the lens manually.

Sometimes, when the smallest aperture lets say f/22 or f/32 is written in orange, there will be a lock somewhere around the aperture ring to lock the ring into place, so it can be used on digital slr cameras. There is a push/pull 80-200 f/2.8 and that can be used on a D50, it is just an older version of the lens. There is a 70-210 AI lens which that might be the lens you are talking about, but it is AI so it will have the features that I listed above. The 50mm f/1.4 might not be AI so you will have to check on the lens and right it down. The 105 f/2.5, could that maybe be the 105 f/2.8 Macro or maybe the 105 f/2 AF DC?? The macro lens that you described very briefly might be alright to use.

You just need to write everything down about the lens, mainly where it says the focal length, aperture, and any other letters that may come after it like D, AF, ED, IF. Those will give us some more information to identify the lenses you are describing. I'm also going to take a guess that your dads camera is a FM-10 maybe?
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D (70-200mm f/2.8 VR soon)
    Nikon SB600 (SB800 soon)
    Nikon MB-D10 grip
    Sekonic L-358
    Bogan/Manfrotto 055xprob tripod

Canon AE-1 Program
    Canon FD 50mm f/1.8
    CPC 2x Teleconverter
    CPC Phase 2 CCT 80-200 f/4.5
    CPC Phase 2 CCT 28mm Macro f/2.8

Thanks for the info!

I know for sure than on most of the lenses (except maybe one or two), there is nothing written on the lens except "Nikkor", the focal length/aperture, and then a long (maybe 6 or 8 digit) number.

When I'm looking for this info, I'm finding it looking into the lens, written around the glass.

I'll send my dad an email and ask him to send me any info he can on the lenses. I'm pretty sure they're all going to be fully manual, but who knows. . .

His camera looks just like the FM10, but doesn't have "FM10" written on it like the camera on Nikon's website. Perhaps the older versions didn't have this? I know he's had this thing forever, probably more than 20 years. I borrowed it from him back in college when I took a photography class - it was a lot of fun to use. I can't remember what lens I used, though - been a few years back. I was more worried about what all the dials did and how to develop my film in the darkroom than focal lengths and lens specifics. . .

Thanks again!

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brian wahl View Post
    I know for sure than on most of the lenses (except maybe one or two), there is nothing written on the lens except "Nikkor", the focal length/aperture, and then a long (maybe 6 or 8 digit) number.
    The 6-8 digit number is the serial number for that specific lens. Each lens has a different number. Yeah, just the information of the focal length and aperture will give us somewhat decent info to identify the lenses.

Go here: http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/index.htm
    And you might be able to see some lenses yoru dad may have.
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D (70-200mm f/2.8 VR soon)
    Nikon SB600 (SB800 soon)
    Nikon MB-D10 grip
    Sekonic L-358
    Bogan/Manfrotto 055xprob tripod

Canon AE-1 Program
    Canon FD 50mm f/1.8
    CPC 2x Teleconverter
    CPC Phase 2 CCT 80-200 f/4.5
    CPC Phase 2 CCT 28mm Macro f/2.8

Cant these lenses be used on the D200 with the camera metering them? Just a suggestion because those are some nice lenses, myaswell put 'em to use.
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by wh0128 View Post
    The 6-8 digit number is the serial number for that specific lens. Each lens has a different number. Yeah, just the information of the focal length and aperture will give us somewhat decent info to identify the lenses.

Go here: http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/lens/index.htm
    And you might be able to see some lenses yoru dad may have.
    Thanks for the link.

The 50mm f/1.4 looks just like this

and his Micro looks just like this

The website states those were released in the early '80's, which would be about right. I can't say they're exactly the same lens, but they look like that. I'll see if I can get some more info from my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    Cant these lenses be used on the D200 with the camera metering them? Just a suggestion because those are some nice lenses, myaswell put 'em to use.
    The D200 would be way out of my budget range.

I think it would be a lot of fun to use them, but the second my dad finds out there are these new-fangled "digital" SLR's that he can use those lenses on, there's probably no way he'd let me have them, haha.

He's got a Panasonic Lumix FZ-20, which is a pretty nice little camera. He doesn't shoot film anymore since he's got his digital camera, but I bet he'd love to get a Nikon dSLR. Too bad I already bought him a Christmas gift.

Pana FZ20 was my first "real" camera too. I bet hed be very pleased to make the jump to DLSR, if you both get into DSLR, you can share lenses, would be a great idea if you ask me!
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by jcon View Post
    Pana FZ20 was my first "real" camera too. I bet hed be very pleased to make the jump to DLSR, if you both get into DSLR, you can share lenses, would be a great idea if you ask me!
    Sounds like a plan to me, too! My grandfather is another big Nikon SLR user.

I was pretty sold on me getting either the Canon S3 IS or the FujiFilm S6000fd, or maybe the Pentax K100D, but I'm thinking all the signs are pointing me towards a Nikon D50 or something similar. I didn't know I was part of such a Nikon family. . .

By the way, I played around with his FZ20 for a while this weekend - really enjoyed it, but my experience with DSLR's has been awesome as well - they're so much fun to shoot with.