Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Manual, Av or Tv mode

Just a quick question to see what peoples opinions are.

For sports photography would it be best to use Manual mode or one of the creative modes i.e. Av or Tv?

I got to thinking this after my cricket shots yesterday and now think there has to be a better way.

Apologies for the basicness of the question but I have been second guessing myself all day and am now totally confused....lol
    -------------
    Cheers
    David Clifford
    www.davidclifford.com.au

If it were me, I'd use Tv mode as you will need to make sure your SS is quick enough to stop the action. Set it to the desired SS and go from there. That's my opinion but I'm not a pro or anything.

Your shots are great, so whatever settings you are using are obviously working. I shoot a lot of sports, soccer, basketball, football, just a few. I always use M mode because it gives me control over nearly everything. I always have to shoot wide open at f2.8 so M really helps.

The think I don't like about Av is that if I set a low f stop, say 2.8, the shutter speed is always too fast. If I use Tv mode, and set the shutter speed at what I need to freeze the frame, the aperature never opens up enough, so my shots are again too dark.

I shoot Av and adjust the exp compensation if need be. I find it too much to think about in M. If the sun moves and I'm not paying attention or if I move or the action moves to the shade, it would be very easy to underexpose.

I've been checking my histogram and highlight warning alot lately, it's made a huge difference for me. I've been reading about exposing to the right too, very intresting stuff.
    5D MK III, 50D, ELAN 7E, 17-40mm 4, Sigma 10mm 2.8 fisheye, 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS, 30mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 580 EX, 430 EX speedlight, Pocket wizard flex and mini.
    Canon G10

Pentax P30, 50mm 2.0

Thanks for the input guys, I will be back at the ground on Thursday and Friday. This time no coloured pajamas and white ball, they will be in whites and using a red ball.
    -------------
    Cheers
    David Clifford
    www.davidclifford.com.au

If the light is consistent then I shoot M mode for everything. I'm old-school; incident light meter and all.
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II

Quote Originally Posted by pagnamenta View Post
    The think I don't like about Av is that if I set a low f stop, say 2.8, the shutter speed is always too fast.
    ??? Meaning, that instead of freezing the action you wanted to blur it with a slower shutter speed. . .well in AV just stop the lens down and there ya go! Basically, you're saying that your shooting in a bright setting wide open, ofcourse your SSs are going to be fast.

If I use Tv mode, and set the shutter speed at what I need to freeze the frame, the aperature never opens up enough, so my shots are again too dark.
    ??? Which is telling you that your lens is too slow or you need to increase ISO, or simply, your venue is to dimly lit.

How does shooting manual change the available light?

Did I read something wrong?
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by aparmley View Post
    ??? Meaning, that instead of freezing the action you wanted to blur it with a slower shutter speed. . .well in AV just stop the lens down and there ya go! Basically, you're saying that your shooting in a bright setting wide open, ofcourse your SSs are going to be fast.

??? Which is telling you that your lens is too slow or you need to increase ISO, or simply, your venue is to dimly lit.

How does shooting manual change the available light?

Did I read something wrong?
    This raised my eyebrow as well. Av, Tv, and M are three ways of arriving at the same conclusion: Proper exposure. Whether you select f/2.8 and get 1/1000th automatically via Av, choose 1/1000th and get f/2.8 automatically via Tv, or choose f/2.8 and 1/1000th yourself you're still getting the same settings....

Although I've never heard of a shutter speed being too fast. Unless you're shooting motorsport and need the wheels spinning (or something similar), there's really no such thing as a SS that's too fast. Cricket, football (both kinds), basketball, etc all benefit from as fast a shutter speed as you can get.

If you're underexposed in Tv but you're already using the slowest shutter speed that'll let you freeze what you need to freeze, like Andy said, your ISO is obviously too low or you're screwed anyway.

M doesn't change the requirements for proper exposure.

When I shoot in M, I get exactly what I want. The exposure is perfect and I get the proper depth of field or shutter speed. When I shoot in Av or Tv, the results are never as good when I'm in M. I've used the exposure comp. but it still doesn't work. Perhaps it's the camera's fault, I don't know.

When I shoot in M, I get exactly what I want. The exposure is perfect and I get the proper depth of field or shutter speed. When I shoot in Av or Tv, the results are never as good when I'm in M. I've used the exposure comp. but it still doesn't work. Perhaps it's the camera's fault, I don't know.
    Proper use of EC will yield the same as M. When you use M are you always playing match-the-needles? If so, you might as well play in Av without EC at all because it's the exact same thing, only faster. If you do override the middle in M, all you have to do is EC so that the needle goes the same place as you would have put it when in M. Try a controlled scene for yourself...try M, try Av.

You also have to remember that EC isn't something you can set and forget. You guesstimate your scene and adjust accordingly if you think the camera's meter might be fooled, the same as you don't set M and forget it. You adjust with each scene.
    Last edited by cdifoto; 12-18-2006 at 08:02 AM.