Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Unhappy How to remove LCD protection adhesive that I sticked on?

I purchased a Fuji F31 digital camera and the dealer gave me a transparent LCD screen protection sticker for free. I sticked it onto the LCD screen and immediately regreted it because there were dust particles that I failed to remove and I felt that this transparent protector produced too much reflective glare. The problem is, I've been trying to use a lint-free cloth to remove this sticker, but I can't. I now fear the I would scratch the screen in the process. What should I do? Would the camera dealer know of any techniques to help remove that adhesive?

Quote Originally Posted by allentchang View Post
    I purchased a Fuji F31 digital camera and the dealer gave me a transparent LCD screen protection sticker for free. I sticked it onto the LCD screen and immediately regreted it because there were dust particles that I failed to remove and I felt that this transparent protector produced too much reflective glare. The problem is, I've been trying to use a lint-free cloth to remove this sticker, but I can't. I now fear the I would scratch the screen in the process. What should I do? Would the camera dealer know of any techniques to help remove that adhesive?
    You could ask them. The only thing I can think of is gasoline. That's how I stripped the paint off my old car to prep it for the new glossy coat.

Somehow I don't think that's a good idea for a digital camera though.

Did the protector come in packaging of any kind? Maybe it has removal instructions.

Goo-Gone!

Its a product I found at Canadian Tire (sorry, I know thats kind of local. Try Walmart) which removes the sticky adhesive mess left when stickers are peeled off. Its citrus based, works well, and hasn't harmed anything other than the stickers!
    My best pics on Flickr

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/garysimmons
    Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/GarySimmonsPhotography

Gear: Canon 60D, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC II, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC, Sigma 120-400 DG OS. 1 430EX, 1 430EXII, 1 580EXII, ST-E2, Manfrotto 190XPROB (soon to be replaced by the carbon version)
    Plus filters, wireless triggers and other junk...

The one had on my camera, I removed by just getting a finger nail under it and peeling it off.
    Panasonic FZ20, Kodak DC4800, Canon SD850 for when I don't want to carry a camera
    http://JLVACCARO.4T.COM

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    If it's like the protective screens I'm familiar with, it should peel up if you're careful. Peel up a corner and keep pushing it accross the LCD with your fingernail. Eventually it should come up. Then rub any goo left off with your fingers. It takes a few minutes but it does work.

Nitro cleaner spray for RC cars. Safe on plastic.
    http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/340196.asp
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Quote Originally Posted by allentchang View Post

screen protector can easily be removed with finger nail peeling at the corner.....they are just air sealed.....dont are not glued to the screen

I use clear packing tape, the kind you use to ship boxes, to remove goo left behind on delicate items. Just press it on and pull it off, then repeat many times. It takes a while but removes it eventually. And will not harm your LCD.

On another note, I have never and will never use an LCD protector. All five of my digital cameras LCD's survive just fine without them.

Dont use the gasoline method, it will melt most plastics. If any gets anywhere near some plastics i just the fumes can melt it.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.