Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

detail zoom in manual focus for K100D

I just got my Pentax K100D. I like it very much so far.

There is one thing about it that I wish were different - in fact, I'm posting this message in the hope that someone will be able to tell me that I'm wrong. As far as I can tell, when I use manual focus, there's no box in the middle of the viewfinder that zooms in on the central detail so that I can get a superfine focus. Is this right?

Thanks,

Will Porter
    Dallas, Texas

That is correct. That box is a feature of "ultra-zoom" cameras that use electronic viewfinders. With an SLR camera you are actually looking through the lens rather than the output from the sensor on a small LCD screen.

The K100D will give you a red focus indicator and chime when you have the subject in focus, just like it does with AF.

Quote Originally Posted by Pants View Post
    That is correct. That box is a feature of "ultra-zoom" cameras that use electronic viewfinders. With an SLR camera you are actually looking through the lens rather than the output from the sensor on a small LCD screen.
    Thanks, Pants. I asked in part because film SLRs that I have used in the past had this feature - a special box in the center that helped you fine tune the focus. I understand that, with a DSLR as with a film SLR, I'm composing the shot while looking through the lens. However, while the optical display is very sharp compared to the LCD in my Canon S3, it's still true that the optical display in the DSLR viewfinder is small - and when light is low or I want to focus on something very precisely, it would help to be able to blow up just a part of the screen.

I'll live with it. :-)

The K100D will give you a red focus indicator and chime when you have the subject in focus, just like it does with AF.
    Right. I found this slightly odd at first. Seems like it should be called "auto-assisted manual focus." I mean, if you're waiting for the camera to tell you when you have the picture focused, why not just let the camera do the job in the first place?

Thanks,

Will

Sometimes like with a zoom lens on MF, I zoom in to check the focus and then back out.
    ================================
    Gallery : DeviantArt

dSLR : SAMSUNG GX-1L
    dP&S : CASIO EXILIM EX-S500
    35mm SLR : PENTAX MZ-M w/ PENTAX FG Battery Grip

SIGMA 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 Aspherical IF (Pentax AF Mount)
    18-55/3.5-5.6, 35-70/3.5-4.8, 70-210/4-5.6, 80-200/4.5
    28/2.8, 50/2, 135/2.8, 135/3.5, 200/3.5, 300/5.6

"... I mean, if you're waiting for the camera to tell you when you have the picture focused, why not just let the camera do the job in the first place?"

You can make very critical focus adjustments manually. The camera may otherwise AF on a person's shoulder, and not their eye, for example. With a 300 mm lens that will make a difference.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK View Post
    "... I mean, if you're waiting for the camera to tell you when you have the picture focused, why not just let the camera do the job in the first place?"

You can make very critical focus adjustments manually. The camera may otherwise AF on a person's shoulder, and not their eye, for example. With a 300 mm lens that will make a difference.
    Yes, I understand this. Sorry, I wasn't clearer earlier.

There are two ways to use manual focus on the K100D: with or without the auto-focus sensor telling you when the picture is in focus. Now, I can see why you'd do it WITHOUT the auto-sensor. You might compose a shot and want to focus on a person standing stage left (so to speak) and let the stuff stage center blur. That's the technique described on page 133 of the manual.

But what I don't understand is why you'd manual focus WITH the auto-sensor confirming the focus - the technique described on page 132 of the manual. Seems a bit like doing the math in your head first, and then checking it on a calculator. Why not just use the calculator to start with?

Will

Quote Originally Posted by Polytrope View Post
    Thanks, Pants. I asked in part because film SLRs that I have used in the past had this feature - a special box in the center that helped you fine tune the focus.
    I see where you're coming from now.

It's not quite what you were asking for, but you might consider the Katz Eye screen for the K100D, if you have not already.

As for the focus indicators, I use them with my old MF lenses to "check my work" (in keeping with the calculator analogy), especially in low light. But my eyesight is not the best.

It's not quite what you were asking for, but you might consider the Katz Eye screen for the K100D, if you have not already.
    That -- the Katz Eye -- looks like it could be very helpful indeed, especially for those of us who have a load of the old manual lenses for the Pentax. Have you -- has anybody out there reading this -- actually had experience with the Katz Eye, having it installed (by whom) ... can you describe that experience?

Very interesting. I'm reluctant to consider replacing parts in the K100D when I've only had the camera for a few days now, but this looks like it is what I would like to have. Thanks for the link.

I would love to hear from anybody who's installed and used the Katz Eye.

Thanks,

Will

Wow. $95 for the screen, $50 to have them install it, and shipping both ways is 1/3 the cost of the camera body.
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/