Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Canon Rebel XTi and Tamron 28-75 Lens

Hi, I am new to photography and I just purchase this setup after doing alot of research on DSLR cameras. After taking some test shots I noticed that most of my pictures are coming out blurry and not sharp. Most of the pictures I've taken was outdoor during the daytime without a tripod. I've try using the auto features and it was sharper than when I was using manual. Am I doing something wrong? I understand that a tripod is needed to reduce the blurriness but how can I improve the sharpness without a tripod stand? I focus the lens until I can view the object clear through the view finder before I snap the pictures but they don't come out as someone of the pictures I see on this forum. The settings I used is listed below.

1. Auto mode with AF enabled on lens
    2. manual mode with ISO 200, shutter 1/125, aperture F2.8

Maybe I should read more on exposure and understand all of the settings more so I can get better and sharper pictures? Please advise. Thank you

This is the lens I purchase. Does this lens have IS?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Only Canon lense have IS
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

Hi Sinitry:

For a zoom lens of that range you do not really need a tripod for daylight shooting. A shutter sped of 1/125 of less should be plenty quick to minimize shake unless you really jerk the camera when releasing the shutter.

However, I question your exposure information because you should be closer to f11 or f16 at 1/125th in daylight, not f2.8. Something is not correct.

Is there a switch on the side of the lens to change between autofocus and manual focus?

Make sure the switch is in autofocus mode on the lens as well as in the camera. Then autofocus on something across the street, and then something only a few feet away. Don't look through the camera, but do look at the lens. Did the focus change?

Do you have any other lens that focusses properll with the same camera settings?

Have you had someone at a camera store try it for you?

Finally, can you post a picture here so we can get a better idea of the problem? (Note you have to resize it to about 200 kb to post here.)
    Pentax K20D/K5/15/21/40/70/10-17/12-24, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5/150-500, Tamron 90 Macro/70-200 2.8, Canon SX20 IS/Elph 500HS
    (formerly Pentax 50 1.4/50-200/55-300/K100D, Sigma 18-50 2.8/70-300 APO, Tamron 28-75, Viv 800, Tele-Tokina 800, Canon S3 IS, Samsung L210)
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q78/KylePix/

I was able to get shaper images tonight. Do you guys use 100% manual settings for every picture you take? When I try to set the ISO, shutter speeds and aperture size manually I don't get the best results. Maybe it's because I'm not use to using a DSLR camera yet. I've always used a point shoot camera in the pass and I am new to DSLR photography. When I set my camera mode to "M" (manual) and turn on the AF on my lens the pictures come out must sharper than when I try to focus manual. How do you guy use your cameras? Do you set all of the exposure settings and focus the lens manually until the picture becomes sharp through the view finder? It's best that I don't shoot my photography in full AUTO right?

I have a good background with photoshop. How can I do effects to my photography pictures similar to that photo? Is there an online tutorial that teaches you to enhance the look of pictures like that? The person who photographed that image did a rig an rolling shot. This makes the car looks as if it was moving fast. I don't care for the motion look but I want to make the image look sharp and colorful like that. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sinitry23 View Post

I have a good background with photoshop. How can I do effects to my photography pictures similar to that photo? Is there an online tutorial that teaches you to enhance the look of pictures like that? The person who photographed that image did a rig an rolling shot. This makes the car looks as if it was moving fast. I don't care for the motion look but I want to make the image look sharp and colorful like that. Thanks
    It's a combination of good light, correct exposure, careful attention to focus, and creative composition (the four elements of good photography anyway).

It sounds to me like you may have an exposure issue (remember in M mode you can't just pick any value of aperture and shutter you want - you still need to satisfy exposure with respect to your ISO), and perhaps a camera-shake or focus issue.

If you could post a sample we could tell you straight away where you are going wrong.
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II

If it helps i've been at this digital photography hobby for over three years, getting close to two years with DSLRs, I'm no where near the level of skill it would take to create images like the ones you referenced. . . Not saying it'll take years, but this hobby rewards you for each minute you spend learning. . . some have a natural gift when it comes to photography, they see the photo they want and can get the image they invision, and even those individuals didn't do work like you posted the first day, week, or month after purchasing their first kit. For the rest of us, we have to work harder and longer to get there. Good luck, don't be discouraged - you have a great goal to work towards, just don't let yourself get bummed out cause you aren't there yet.
    Nikon D90 | Sigma 10-20 HSM | DX 18-105 f3.5-5.6 VR | DX 55-200 VR | 35 f/2.0 D | 50 f/1.4 D | 85mm F/1.8 D | SB-800 x 3 | SU-800
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Flickr | Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by sinitry23 View Post

these are some very nice pictures you've posted which, i'm sure, 95% of us could only aspire to take!
    Dave Leung

Image Gallery

It's actually easier than you think Dave. For the first one, simply hang out the boot of another car with a wide-angle lens (say 35mm on FF etc) with a SS of 1/30s and wait for the sun to go just over the horizon for the lighting.

The rest is how good you can hand-hold and angles etc.

The second is much the same except just before dusk.
    Christian Wright; Dip Phot
    EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 600D | EOS-1V HS
    L: 14/2.8 II | 24/1.4 II | 35/1.4 | 50/1.2 | 85/1.2 II | 135/2 | 180/3.5 Macro | 200/2.8 II | 400/2.8 IS | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-105/4 IS | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 100-400/4.5-5.6 IS
    580EX II | EF 12 II | EF 25 II