Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 72 of 163 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spookonthe8ball View Post
    All sugestions are welcome
    Spook
    Spook-

Your first shot was @ 1/420 and the second @ 1/350 sec. With a moving object such as these @ the equivalent of 300mm, I would go with a faster shutter speed, maybe 1/1000. You could get to that speed by shooting ISO 200 or 400 instead of 100. The IQ outdoors of the S6000 at 400 is almost as good as 100, IMO. Also, what do you have the camera set to for sharpening? If you set it to soft and then sharpen using a USM, you get pretty good results. (See response from P Schneider to my question.)

These suggestions might help.
    Digital:
    Canon PowerShot A570 IS

Nikon D5000

Film:
    Fujica ST605n
    Olympus XA

Cameras from my past:
    Fujifilm S6000fd; Canon PowerShot S50; Canon PowerShot A40; Nikon N8008s; Pentax Spotmatic F; Fujica ST605; Canon Canonet GIII QL19

Thanks for the tips Seo. I usually use the soft sharpening also, but it did jump up to normal using the auto setting of the camera on 1 shot I tried. I did try iso 400 on a few shots, but next time out I will increase that shutter speed and try to find the sweet spot.
    Spook

Castle

Castle in my town taken with full zoom, unfortunately without the town beneath.

ISO200, 1/480, colors an sharpness edited in PS.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    FinePix s6500fd

S6000fd in a Museum

Art museums, as a rule, use little ambient lighting and light individual pieces with directional light. And, flash is forbidden. I was really impressed with the performance of the S6000fd under those conditions.

I shot with an ISO of 800 and the grain produced was such that Neat Image was able to make it tolerable without deterioration in detail.

Aperture Priority
    ISO 800
    F5.6
    Exposure 1/45"
    Focal Length 6.2 mm
    Spot metering

The image was run through Neat Image, then , in Photoimpact, USM, harsh shadows on the base and floor were cloned out, and a very slight adjustment made in the histogram.

...and here's the museum tag for the who, what, when and where for this particular piece in case anyone is interested....

I bought the S6000 with trips to the museum in mind....and it performed admirably!!

--rick

Thanks for all the help and links guys.

I'll be an expert yet...!

Quote Originally Posted by tralexan View Post
    Art museums, as a rule, use little ambient lighting and light individual pieces with directional light. And, flash is forbidden. I was really impressed with the performance of the S6000fd under those conditions.
    That's odd, because art museums, as a general rule do not allow cameras at all.

They definetely didn't let me take any pictures at the Houston Art Museum.
    Nikon D300 | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm VR | Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D | SB-600 | Lowepro Voyager C | Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW

For Sale:
    Nikkor AF 35mm f/2 D - Like New (FX compatible)

Wish List
    Nikkor AF-S 17-55 f/2.8
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200 f/4 VRII
    Tokina AF 11-16 f/2.8
    SB-900 (2)
    Umbrellas
    New Tripod

Photography in Museums

Quote Originally Posted by Visual Reality View Post
    That's odd, because art museums, as a general rule do not allow cameras at all.

They definetely didn't let me take any pictures at the Houston Art Museum.
    The Museum of Modern Art and the Metropolitan Museum of Art both allow pictures of pieces in their permanent collections. The museums own the pieces and are, therefore, at liberty to allow or prevent the taking of pictures.

Photographs are not allowed in temporary exhibits. In almost all instances, pieces in those exhibits are not the property of the museum. Both MOMA and the Metropolitan post signs where photography is not allowed.

Both museums prevent the use of flash.

The Guggenheim in NYC, as I believe is true in all its branches, does not allow photography at all.

So, the Guggenheim is in line with the Houston Art Museum. MOMA and the Metropolitan are not. I really have no idea whatsoever why the respective policies are different.

I don't think there really is a "general rule" except when it comes to temporary exhibits.

--rick

Some interesting views of my DD diving. I climbed up on the 5 meter board.

Spinning diving photos

Nice perspective there & good shots. Are you using a polarizer to keep glare off the water?
    I am enjoying seeing all the S6000 can do. Seo's suggestion for my shots made a lot of difference. The S6000 likes high speed and sometimes a high iso. I'm learning to not be afraid to push it like a dslr.
    Spook