Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 55 of 163 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
    Rick, nice shot of the light bulbs!

Went walking up a mountain a couple days ago and here are some shots I took. BTW, it's called a rainforest for a very valid reason! On my walk down, it poured cats and dogs and I was drenched from head to toe! Fortunately I had wrapped my Fuji in a plastic bag along with my mobile phones (yeah I had two with me lol). Met a Swede couple who were smart to bring an umbrella! A senior Brit couple only went up to a beautiful waterfall, about 1000 or so feet up. I walked all the way up to the viewing platform about 2600 ft or so up. I believe the peak (2900+ft) is off limits to day trippers, there is a strictly guarded comm station right at the very top. All in all I walked a total of about 14+ km. (about 8.8 miles). Looking to go again on a sunny day cause I didn't get to see anything at the viewing point cos of all the clouds!

Picture captions:
    1. Pitcher plants!
    2. There are rest sheds with location signs along the covered road to the summit (I did not attempt the forest trails except for the waterfall trail).
    3. I used the Fuji's TEXT mode to capture this, turned out pretty sharp
    4. Text mode. (100% crop). The Frog pond was certainly something I never saw in real life before, even with the rainforest right in my backyard. There were frog spawn (canopy dwelling frogs) hanging off tree branches. The tadpoles emerge from the foam and drop into the water below.
    5. There are also signs showing current altitude every hundred feet or so.
    6. The comm station and tower at the top of the mountain.
    7. The ultimate price of the waterfall trail, a relatively easy 1.6km (1 mile) off the main covered road.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by mzms; 06-21-2007 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added more pictures

awesome pictures by all. Im very seriously considering buying this camera, how much should i expect to pay? Is there a better place to buy it on the internet or should i just buy it where it is the cheapest? and is there any camera accessory that is a must have? I was planning on getting a 2x lens, but i wasnt really sure besides that.

thanks for the help everyone and keep up the good pictures

Buy it from B&H. $250 if you buy it before the 30th of June since they have a $50 rebate which ends on the 30th. Obviously a xD card is necessary (I got a 1GB type H (type H is supposedly faster, whatever its about 10 bucks more)). Aside from that maybe a basic UV filter to protect the lens, and a nice bag thats meant for a zoom lens.

Lets see if someone can beat this cloud

Voxstock 2007 in Belgrade #1

I was at the Voxstock 2007 Blues Festival held here in Belgrade yesterday night. Music was terrific, we had some great guests like Sven Zetterberg, The Blues Company and above all my favorite, Dragan Ružić - Macan a.k.a Homesick Mac, who performed with his old friend Petar Miladinović a.k.a. Pera Joe. Here are some of the photos I made there with my Fuji:

Voxstock 2007 in Belgrade #2

All photos were taken in program mode using ISO 400 and JPEG and then post processed using Neat Image and a bit of sharpening.

I have also got some great videos from that event. Man, I really love this camera and its output quality.

Quote Originally Posted by levicki View Post
    [All photos were taken in program mode using ISO 400 and JPEG and then post processed using Neat Image and a bit of sharpening.

I have also got some great videos from that event. Man, I really love this camera and its output quality.
    I am seeing very beautiful pictures from this camera dslr like photos,,, i will have mine in my hands tomorrow but you say pictures you took at ISO 400 and then used Neat Image was there that much noise how bought posting one with out noise reduction, and then you sharpened them a bit why not just up the sharpness in the camera a notch, and they look really good shot in JPEG i read from users that JPEG was no good and that if you want nice pictures shoot in RAW, but can't wait till tomorrow
    Last edited by hercules; 06-24-2007 at 07:45 AM.
    Canon 7D, EF-S 15-85 IS, EF 70-300 IS DO, Sigma 30 1.4 EX HSM, Sigma 10-20, Canon G11, Canon speedLight 580 EX II LowePro Sling Bag 200 AW, Photoshop CS4 Extended, Paint Shop Pro X2 Ultimate.
    http://www.pbase.com/spartanwarrior

Quote Originally Posted by hercules View Post
    I am seeing very beautiful pictures from this camera dslr like photos,,, i will have mine in my hands tomorrow but you say pictures you took at ISO 400 and then used Neat Image was there that much noise how bought posting one with out noise reduction, and then you sharpened them a bit why not just up the sharpness in the camera a notch, and they look really good shot in JPEG i read from users that JPEG was no good and that if you want nice pictures shoot in RAW, but can't wait till tomorrow
    Hey Herc, the problem with increasing the sharpness within the camera is this leads to a greater number of .jpg artifacts in the photo, which is something more difficult to overcome in post-processing. Even at the highest quality mode, Fuji over-compresses, imo.

As to the noise issue, sometimes I leave the noise in or only use a small amount of NR, as I would rather have noise than lack of detail.

CATS! & a few other things... http://catographer.smugmug.com

Fuji S6000fd

I am seeing very beautiful pictures from this camera dslr like photos
    Thanks.

was there that much noise
    In some of the photos yes, mostly noticeable on bluish colors. In others not. I apply noise reduction very selectively and usually I do not lose much if any details.

how bought posting one with out noise reduction
    I could post some originals without post-processing if you want, just tell me which one do you want to see.

why not just up the sharpness in the camera a notch
    Because in-camera sharpening amplifies noise as a side effect. By having more noise, you are actually increasing the amount of "details". Since the camera has fixed JPEG compression quality, that leads to the camera having to pack more data into the same size JPEG file.

and they look really good shot in JPEG
    In my experience, JPEG 6M Fine looks good up to and including ISO 400 and with solid amount of light (flash set on AUTO, close range). And even then, bluish parts can have stronger noise. Amount of noise is then directly proportional to the amount of underexposure of said parts.

Keep in mind that the blue channel always carries the strongest noise. It can be more than two times stronger than the noise in the green and red channel. It is because blue pixels are much less light sensitive then those of the other two primary colors.

If the light is low and ISO is high, there are black dropouts in the blue channel -- pixels which do not get any light and stay off. If you have a lot of those, no amount of noise reduction can fix it so it is always better to overexpose in such conditions because that is much easier to fix.

if you want nice pictures shoot in RAW
    That is a sound advice. Me too would stick to it for anything higher than ISO 400 in low light conditions. However, for everyday needs JPEG is just fine. Furthermore, RAW has a drawback of being slow (you can miss some photo opportunities while the previous photo is being saved) and it is taking too much space -- 1GB card can store only 73 shots in RAW, but whooping 341 shot in JPEG 6M Fine.

Here are a couple random shots from my s6000

I used this as a stock photo on the wikipedia page for this paintball marker

Last edited by the_binary_soul; 06-24-2007 at 09:33 PM.