Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 14 of 163 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsands View Post
    Wow. This camera is a blast to use! It has rekindled my old love for taking pictures. Glad to find this forum with all the tips and great pics!
    BTW, the auto-focus quit working at about 10 degrees F. So did my fingers.

Joe

Program Mode?
    1/1800 sec
    F/8
    ISO 200
    Hey Joe,
    Welcome to the forum! When I seen the picture I thought the landscape looked familiar. That's good to know about the auto focus as I occasionally will take pictures when it's that cold. Did you switch to manual focus or just pack it in for the day?
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

Quote Originally Posted by unclebrudy View Post
    Great stuff everybody!

Oh boy, if you could only see this badboy in all of it's TIFF glory (still decent after resize & JPEG out of PSE4).

F5.6
    1/320
    ISO200
    The tiffs do look good don't they. Nice shot.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

Quote Originally Posted by P_Schneider View Post
    Hey Joe,
    Welcome to the forum! When I seen the picture I thought the landscape looked familiar. That's good to know about the auto focus as I occasionally will take pictures when it's that cold. Did you switch to manual focus or just pack it in for the day?
    Hi there! Thanks for the welcome, Paul. I see you're also from MN. Get ready for some ***snowscape*** photo opportunities!

By the time the auto focus quit, my fingers were so numb I couldn't manually focus (I was a bit distracted playing with my new S6000fd). I'm not used to the feel of the manual focus yet. Is it mechanically coupled to the optics like an slr's lens? The feel is a bit vague to me . Also, not to my liking, is the focus check (magnifier) is disabled if the display refresh is set to 60fps. Overall, though, I really like this camera esp. the low noise compared to the competition. The overall feel reminds me more of my film camera than the P&S variety do.

no the focus even tho manual isn't a mechanical focus. It just uses the input from the focus ring to generate a signal for the motor. So chances are when the auto packs in so will the manual focus.

It's not all bad tho.. the lack of mechanical focusing means there is less to go wrong on the camera. It also means you can't break the focus ring by turning it too far or by somone been rough with it. As the ring has no stops.

the biggest drwabwck to the manual focus ont he s6500 is the lagg for the motors to start up. and the fact it doesn't feel like a real focus ring you can be turning it quite fast sometimes and nothing seems to be happening! other times you'l just touch it and it will respond.

Reply: manual focus ring

Quote Originally Posted by nesbitt_bub1 View Post
    no the focus even tho manual isn't a mechanical focus. It just uses the input from the focus ring to generate a signal for the motor. So chances are when the auto packs in so will the manual focus.

It's not all bad tho.. the lack of mechanical focusing means there is less to go wrong on the camera. It also means you can't break the focus ring by turning it too far or by somone been rough with it. As the ring has no stops.

the biggest drwabwck to the manual focus ont he s6500 is the lagg for the motors to start up. and the fact it doesn't feel like a real focus ring you can be turning it quite fast sometimes and nothing seems to be happening! other times you'l just touch it and it will respond.
    Thanks for the info, nesbitt. What you said describes my experience with the manual focus ring.
    So now, when I want to control focus, I use the 1-touch AF button & then tweak with the focus ring if needed. This seems to work for getting those action shots of the kids. I pre-focus where they will be running/sliding/riding by and just let the camera control the exposure. Oh, and I keep the camera (and my hands) in my jacket when it's below freezing!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmsands View Post
    Thanks for the info, nesbitt. What you said describes my experience with the manual focus ring.
    So now, when I want to control focus, I use the 1-touch AF button & then tweak with the focus ring if needed. This seems to work for getting those action shots of the kids. I pre-focus where they will be running/sliding/riding by and just let the camera control the exposure. Oh, and I keep the camera (and my hands) in my jacket when it's below freezing!

Joe
    Ya that's probably how I would use it too Joe. The biggest drawback isn't focus ring itself IMO but the low rez EVF. It is touchy though to dial in that yellow "lock" on the center ring in the viewfinder.

Btw: Ice pellets are starting here right now, I'm digging in for the long haul. It's not supposed to stop snowing until Monday down here.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

ok, i think i need to thank P.Schneider for introducing me to this wonderful camera. after one hour of skimming thru the manual and fiddling with the controls, i started to get the results i wanted.
    in Manual mode no less.

out with the old (the last pic i took with my Nikon)

in with the new
    1/208 second
    F/8.0
    ISO 200

Last edited by angelratdesigns; 02-23-2007 at 10:08 PM.

I fully agree with you dear angelratdesign on P.Schneider,he too spared his valued time and came up with long reply to me with his valued inputs hence I bought this cam and fully satisfied with it.Such things clearly tell us that this world is still full of love and supports.Thx P.Schneider again and again!
    Fuji S6500 FD
    Olympus FE115(For kids and wife)

No need to thank me guys, I didn't make the camera.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

took these this weekend.

for landie lovers everywhere !