Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 10 of 163 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

My first picture!

This is straight out of the box! It just arrived about 30 minutes ago! I had it on auto I believe.... I really think I am going to like this camera!

Ray, that little girls expression is priceless.

Spinning, nice first shot. With a bit a tweaking that could be an excellent shot. Welcome to the S6k club guys.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

Some Tips and Tricks

Someone asked me about different tips and tricks for the S6k so I shamelessly copied these from another forum to avoid re-inventing the wheel so to speak. At any rate there is some pretty good info here.

General Shooting

Rule #G1: Know your auto modes

Scene modes are poorly documented, and that's probably why some people never ever notice what they are missing. Scene modes are about getting a shot done when your subject is not going to wait for you to optimize your camera settings. Also, unless you are shooting RAW, scene modes are the only way to influence the contrast setting (unlike the S9x00, which has an extra menu item to set contrast manually).
    Rule #G2: Don't wait for face detection to work.

Don't expect miracles when shooting moving people, e.g. at your child's birthday party. If a face is detected, OK, if not, chances are it does not matter. Don't let yourself get distracted by green squares moving about the screen.
    Outdoor Shooting

With outdoor shots, especially in bright sun light, the S6x00fd seems to handle similar to the F30. So, to get very good results, instead of merely good, you need to know what you are doing.
    Rule #O1: Avoid Auto mode.

You can use Auto mode, but usually any other mode is better. Landscape/Portrait usually work best, or P, S, A, M, depending on the level of control you want.
    Rule #O2: Use Landscape mode or SP modes.

When shooting a landscape, buildings, or anything else with some sky in it, choose Landscape, even when the landscape is only the backdrop for a shot of your significant other. This makes sure the sky is correctly exposed. ISO is limited to 800. If the shadows turn out too dark, you can PP them easier than blown highlights.

After dawn, and before dusk, use SP(Sunset) instead of Landscape (even when you aren't shooting a sunset). This improves colors, allows fill-in flash, and ISO up to 1600. Finally, if you feel Auto-ISO 1600 is too much, choose SP(Night) and use a tripod.

Whenever applicable, use Snow/Beach scene modes: SP(Snow) (Auto-ISO 100-800), SP(Beach) (Auto-ISO 100-200).
    Rule #O3: Use Portrait for outdoor portraits.

Choose Portrait for frame-filling shots of people outdoors. This means less contrast & sharpening, and ISO is limited to 800.
    Rule #O4: Bright sun exposure compensation.

When using P, S, A modes in bright sunny conditions, use -1/3 EV exposure compensation.
    Indoor Shooting

The S6x00fd does well indoors, even in Auto mode. Indoor lighting is simply more forgiving. Still there are some things you at least should have heard about.
    Rule #I1: Flash is not evil.

So you got yourself a camera working well in low-light. Still you will soon notice that shooting completely without flash often does not work, so do not hesitate to use it. Flash helps to get ISO down, and the "subdued" S6x00fd flash keeps the background nicely exposed. Also, with the pop-up flash, red-eye does not seem to be a problem.
    Rule #I2: Use Portrait mode.

More often than not you will be shooting people when shooting indoors. So use portrait mode, that's what it is for. Portrait ISO tops out at 800.
    Rule #I3: Lower ISO.

The S6x00fd likes to use ISO 800 indoors (this seems to be the max when flash is enabled), and for some the in-camera noise processing at ISO 800 is somewhat heavy-handed. Use P, S, A, M with lower ISO, or shoot RAW and de-noise yourself.

To add to this list I would state that you should always keep your sharpening setting to soft. I would also add to shoot RAW whenever possible.
    Last edited by P_Schneider; 01-30-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

Great hints Paul. I printed it out so when I have more time to play with the camera I can look at it.
    Now what type of tweaking would you do? it was cloudy outside. So I am not sure...I have photo shop elements 4...hardly use it...which I know I should. But what should I be doing with my digital prints.

Goodness, Ray, that first shot could make you some $$!
    CATS! & a few other things... http://catographer.smugmug.com

Fuji S6000fd

Smile

Thanks, Paul, she's my 3-year old daughter. The face detection helped me a lot in composition, especially when the kids are off-centre, but as you said it's not a miracle.

I just bought the camera for about 3 weeks only and not much chances to use it long until last Sunday. Thanks for your tips and I'll try them out.

Flippedgazelle, I doubt if she'd pay me a peny to buy the photo...

The second photo is my daughter and my 9-month old son. By the way, I have no idea what they were looking at.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

s6500fd

Orchid

Macro
    Iso 400
    Sp mode (flower)
    Flash off

without stand.
    Last edited by Linzzi; 01-31-2007 at 12:22 PM.

USM and H/S ?

Hello all,

I'm new here and i got my S6000fd (named S6500fd here in Europe) yesterday in replacement of my old Fujoifil 2700 zoom camera.
    I made some shots and i'm quite happy with it.
    Sorry for my dummy question, but on some posts i saw USM and H/S, what does this mean ?

Patrick in Corsica.

Quote Originally Posted by RadioCorsica View Post
    Hello all,

I'm new here and i got my S6000fd (named S6500fd here in Europe) yesterday in replacement of my old Fujoifil 2700 zoom camera.
    I made some shots and i'm quite happy with it.
    Sorry for my dummy question, but on some posts i saw USM and H/S, what does this mean ?

Patrick in Corsica.
    Welcome Patrick,
    I'm sure you will see quite the difference between those 2 cams. The USM and H/S are short names for photoshop functions.
    USM = Unsharp mask
    H/S = Highlights and shadows

btw, beautiful Orchid shot Linzzi
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

First shots with S6500D

Hi !

Thanks for the answer about USM and H/S... now it's clear !
    Yes, there is a BIG difference between my old 2700 and the s6000 ! The first shots i took were quite good. But i must admit that the Auto mode is realy not as good as it was on the 2700... It tries to push the ISO much to high under conditions were a much lower is possible...
    I prefer the other programs.
    I will stay tuned here and i will certainly have other questions more s6k relative !
    here one of my very first shots.