Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 62 of 163 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

First pictures!

Hi there, I just got a brand new S6500fd yesterday. It was a choice between the Fuji and Panasonic Lumix FZ28 and mainly thanks to the excellent photos taken by the people here, Fuji was the winner

So far I am very satisfied with the camera which is a HUGE step from my old Nikon coolpix SQ. Photos are of great IQ and I allready had comments from people about the natural color of their skin when flash is used compared to what they are used to. Unfortunatelly the lack of IS has an impact to newbies like me and I still have so much to learn. These are the some of the first photos I got. Critique encouraged!

All photos straight out of the camera except for resizing

1st photo: ISO-100, SS:1/2 sec, f/5,6
    2nd photo: ISO-100, SS:1/10 sec, f/3,7 Macro
    3rd photo: ISO-400, SS:1/120, f/8 (I think I used a way too low shutter speed and the image ended up a bit blurry, especially for that sensitivity. There was quite a lot of light so I think I could have done better. What do you think?)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

People taught me that minimum shutter = 1 / L sec where L is a focal length in mm.

So for 300mm (telephoto) you would clearly need at least 1/300 sec shutter speed.
    Note that the picture could still turn out blurry if the subject is moving fast, no amount
    of IS would help with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Winterspirit View Post
    Hi there, I just got a brand new S6500fd yesterday. It was a choice between the Fuji and Panasonic Lumix FZ28 and mainly thanks to the excellent photos taken by the people here, Fuji was the winner

So far I am very satisfied with the camera which is a HUGE step from my old Nikon coolpix SQ. Photos are of great IQ and I allready had comments from people about the natural color of their skin when flash is used compared to what they are used to. Unfortunatelly the lack of IS has an impact to newbies like me and I still have so much to learn. These are the some of the first photos I got. Critique encouraged!

All photos straight out of the camera except for resizing

1st photo: ISO-100, SS:1/2 sec, f/5,6
    2nd photo: ISO-100, SS:1/10 sec, f/3,7 Macro
    3rd photo: ISO-400, SS:1/120, f/8 (I think I used a way too low shutter speed and the image ended up a bit blurry, especially for that sensitivity. There was quite a lot of light so I think I could have done better. What do you think?)
    Welcome to the club!
    Decent shots for the first time out of the box. I look forward to seeing more.
    The first 2 you should have used a tripod, the norm is around 1/60s for a hand held shot although with proper technique you can get that a bit lower.
    The third one could use a bit of curves / levels adjustment from you favorite photo editing program to give it a bit more pop.
    Last edited by P_Schneider; 07-10-2007 at 05:28 PM.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

Here's a couple shots of a thunderstorm rolling into my area from Sunday.
    The wind was kicking around 45 - 55mph at times so I had to brace myself for these shots
    Manual mode
    ISO 400
    F3.4
    1/200 sec
    pretty much straight out of the camera on these shots although I've cropped a bit on some of them.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

Here's a shot from the opposite direction. It was just beginning to rain but the wind was getting crazy so I only took 2 shots from this location and
    decided to take shelter under the bridge from the first shot.
    Manual mode
    ISO 400
    F3.7
    1/400 sec
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

This last one was a shot of irony. Here I am down at the bottom of one of the bridge footings, watching the storm roll across the river towards me, and I get the red battery on the camera and it shuts down. Thankfully I had a spare set with me but by the time I got it reloaded I only had time for 1 shot and a dash to the car before the heavy stuff hit. It would have been nice to get a couple shots from this location because you could actually see the wall of rain marching across the river. Oh well, there will be other storms I'm sure.

For those who are not familiar with Minnesota it gets pretty hot and humid during the summer months and when a dash of cool dry Canadian tries to make it's way down it sets off thunderstorms, some of them pretty sever w/ tornadoes, straight lying winds, and hail.
    This past weekend it was in the high 90's (F) with dew points in the 70's. (envision being soaked in sweat by simply standing still, wind or not)
    Once the storm rolled through from the north it was in the upper 70's with dew points in the low 50's which is relatively dry air for this time of year.
    This will last a couple days then the heat from the south will surge back, trigger storms, and viola! You're back in the heat once again.
    Rinse and repeat all summer long usually.
    Manual mode
    ISO 400
    F3.6
    1/60 sec
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

I went to Vegas for the weekend for a wedding/b'day party and here are some handheld shots that I took. These are the highlights:

1/30s
    f/3.6
    ISO 400

1/640s
    f/5.6
    ISO 100

1/3s
    f/4.0
    ISO 400
    This one is a little shaky, but not too bad.

1/20s
    f/3.9
    ISO 400

Well, I think that you're first two of the candles are quite excellent! As for the last one, you could probably stand to open up the aperture (lower aperture value) and shorten the exposure time (higher shutter speed) to give you less opportunity for camera shake. Normally, I wouldn't think that you should get any shake with 1/120s unless someone or something bumped you and caused the camera to move, but I think that I have pretty steady hands, so maybe I'm the exception.

Levicki: Thank you for the advice. I will take it into account the next time. The little buggers were constantly moving not to mention me clowning around to have their attention

P_Schneider: Thank you and I am definitely looking forward to taking many more pics. In the first 2 I, indeed, used a very small tripod and I think they turned out sharp. After a bit of PP the 3rd pic looked much better but I posted the original versions to go along with the purpose of this thread.

The pics are nice! I personally love the feeling of anticipating a storm but I guess getting them so often must be rather unpleasent...

Moreno_iv: These pics are great and I especially like the framing in all of them. Have they been PPed in any way? The colors are very vivid.

Also, thanks for the advice. If I remember correctly the blur indicator was on the screen even at that SS, although there was plenty of light. It is also possible I was just careless since I was mainly occupied with shooting the cute kittens and not really comfortable with the camera and the settings at the time. I am looking forward to understanding better how the SS/aperture combination works under different conditions.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It is much appreciated
    Fujifilm S6500fd

Art and photo gallery :
    http://winterspirit.deviantart.com/

P_Schneider: Thank you and I am definitely looking forward to taking many more pics. In the first 2 I, indeed, used a very small tripod and I think they turned out sharp. After a bit of PP the 3rd pic looked much better but I posted the original versions to go along with the purpose of this thread.

The pics are nice! I personally love the feeling of anticipating a storm but I guess getting them so often must be rather unpleasent...

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It is much appreciated
    Actually I love the storms. Most people head for the basement when these roll in but the wife and I just head out with the cameras as soon as the alarm goes off for our county.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current