Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Digital Replacement for Contax G2

My fondest film camera was a Contax G2. Superb Zeiss lenses and small enough to always be at hand around my neck. Is there such a digital option? I want a view finder, the same around the neck availability, and most of todays digital options although RAW isn't necessary. My "expedition camera" is a Nikon D200. This would be the always there back up. The Canon G7 comes to mind but sure would appreciate some counsel thru all alternatives. Thanks very much.

am i right to think an M8 is out of the question ?
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR

I think the Espon R-D1 and updated R-D1s, both 6mp digital range finder cameras, similar to your G2, but with APS-C size sensor, will be able to use your G2 lenses.

I do not know what they currently cost in your country, that is for you to find out. Of course, the 1.5x crop factor will make the lenses longer than you are used to.

The G7 is a really nice compact digital camera. Not comparable to your G2 of course... depth of field will be a LOT deeper due to the small sensor.
    If you are just looking for a nice good compact digital with range finder style looks and dials, then the G7 can be a good choice. Otherwise, do check out that Epson (or check out both).
    Canon EOS 350D, Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 macro, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC EX, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM, Tokina AT-X124 Pro 12-24mm F4, Soligor 1.7x C/D4 DG Teleconvertor, Manfrotto 724B tripod, Canon Powershot S30

RD1 are out of production now of course, cannot be had new
    you can probably find an example on ebay s/h, or check more reputable dealers
    be careful of QC issues, particularly with early examples
    the RF are frequently out of adjustment
    Riley

Pentax 110 auto SLR