Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Auto lens caps for the Lumix LX5

Has anyone tried any of the automatic lens caps for the LX5? Shortly after buying my original LX3, I found out about an auto lens cap that "sorta" worked. It was not made for the Lumix, but it would fit (sorta). It required some padded tape to be applied to make it open fully when the lens extended, and I ended up never using it.

I see now that there are caps specifically designed for the LX3 and LX5. I have seen RainbowImaging (not sure if that is a brand or vendor), JCC, and a few others on e-Bay and Amazon.

Anyone tried any of them? All seem to have good reviews, and they run around $18-$22 (mostly black and silver).

I just got a white LX5 as a Valentine's gift, and want to get caps for my old LX3 before I get rid of it, and for the new LX5.

Thanks.

Works great!

Last week I purchased an auto lens cap for the LX5 on eBay from seller "digitalgoja". It was $14.99 with free shipping and it arrived quickly. It screws on tight, and works GREAT. I highly recommend. Having it installed is like having a new camera, after two years of having to play with the lens cap every time I wanted to take a picture!

These caps, however, don't "seal" and have a small gap between the three flaps that open. Because of this, when I am taking photos this summer at outdoor festivals where there may be dust, I plan to use the normal lens cap so I can keep dust off the lens.