Hybrid View

nikon D50 trying to shoot a celing fan and get clear pics

ok since the manual goes into 0 detail on how to use the other modes
    maybe we need a tips and tricks section
    here is what i am trying to do
    i want to shoot good pics in low light
    fast moving objects
    so..
    as a test i set the d50 in A mode bumped up the iso to 400 800 1600 and tried setting the F to the lowest
    it still wont capture the ceiling fan blades in stop action without being blurry
    where does one start?
    Sports mode outside in the daytime fine great.

But I want to learn this camera and find 0 resources out there on how we actually USE the different modes properly.
    Last edited by davew; 12-04-2006 at 03:43 PM.

You'll need a faster lens to capture something like that, as there's generally much less ambient light indoors than there is outdoors. You'll need probably at very least a f2.8 lens, or just use flash at 1/500 in manual mode.
    Jason
    http://www.jmodzikphoto.com
    Save $5 on Zenfolio using RKS-T9C-M8G
    Flickr
    D200 - Tokina 12-24 - Sigma 30/1.4 - 50/1.8 - 55/3.5 Ai Micro w/PK-13 - 70-300 VR - SB-600 - Gitzo GT2530 + Markins M10

Talking

Thank you

I am just flustered that I do not know information and have found the manual very lacking for a beginner in DSLR .

and real world sites with examples are not to big of a help or non existent.

Jason maybe you should write up some tips and how 2's? for us new to dslr

Quote Originally Posted by davew View Post
    Thank you

I am just flustered that I do not know information and have found the manual very lacking for a beginner in DSLR .

and real world sites with examples are not to big of a help or non existent.

Jason maybe you should write up some tips and how 2's? for us new to dslr
    You may want to purchase "Understanding Exposure" Revised Edition by Bryan Peterson. Exposure is a science of sorts especially if your in manual mode. The user manual does not cover the nuances of exposure. Considering that by just slightly moving a camera the optimum exposure setting can change... this subject is really beyond the scope of a user manual.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

I'll second that recommendation, it's a fantastic book for the basics.
    Jason
    http://www.jmodzikphoto.com
    Save $5 on Zenfolio using RKS-T9C-M8G
    Flickr
    D200 - Tokina 12-24 - Sigma 30/1.4 - 50/1.8 - 55/3.5 Ai Micro w/PK-13 - 70-300 VR - SB-600 - Gitzo GT2530 + Markins M10

Try shooting with a very high shutter speed and around an aperture of F9. ISO doesnt really matter, use flash.

To stop motion you must shoot with a high shutter speed. I also suggest doing some research and reading. There are alot of helpful tools and resources out there for you! This place is one of them, dont hesitate to ask questions!

Ofcourse the simple way to get a picture of the fan without the blades moving would be... turn the fan off
    Jason

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once."-2Pac

A bunch of Nikon stuff!

Davew,

I am very, very new myself and like you am less than satisfied with the manual that comes with the Nikon (I have the D80). My frustrations are similar to yours about the lack of information on the various modes. I have a thread running now about blurry pics and one kind member shared a high recommendation for a digital book that goes way beyond the manual with the camera and he says these manuals are very good. I just checked the site and they have one on the D50 as well. I am certainly going to be getting one myself based on this recommendation. The following is the link to the site with the digital books: http://www.bythom.com/

Below is the thread where tcadwall gives his thoughts about these books:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...t=26532&page=2

Thumbs up

I finally got it
    no idea if i had the settings properly set up but here it is..
    and NO the fan was not TURNED OFF

Nikon D50
    2006/12/07 20:29:07.3
    JPEG (8-bit) Fine
    Image Size: Medium (2256 x 1496)
    Lens: 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 G
    Focal Length: 52mm
    Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
    Metering Mode: Multi-Pattern
    1/60 sec - F/5.6
    Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
    Sensitivity: ISO 200
    Optimize Image: Vivid
    White Balance: Auto
    AF Mode: AF-S
    Flash Sync Mode: Red Eye Reduction
    Auto Flash Mode: Built-in TTL
    Auto Flash Comp: 0 EV
    Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
    Tone Comp.: Auto
    Hue Adjustment: 0
    Saturation: Enhanced
    Sharpening: Auto
    Image Comment: DAVE_WHITE-2006
    Long Exposure NR: Off

I hate to burst your bubble, Dave, but you froze the ceiling fan with your flash, not with the shutter speed required to stop the action. While this works indoors on a ceiling fan (and people too), it's not of much value for sports (which was why you tried the experiment in the first place), because most flashes don't have the reach. I know this is confusing, but here's a thread where we discussed it in much detail (while looking at Andy's awesome wedding pics...): http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21644
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear

I was about to make the same comment. That fan must have been moving at glacial speed to be frozen at 1/60 sec exposure - unless the flash fired which it did.
    The whole point of this I think was sports images so really you should be outside shooting cars driving down the street or anything else that is moving that does not require a flash ti freeze it.