Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 50 of 59 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast
    Hello!
    I am a newbie in DSLR and still learning.
    I found this forum by accident when researching for a camera and the lenses.
    Chris B
    My Gallery

Canon IXUS70 | Canon 450D | EF-50mm f/1.4 USM | EF-100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Welcome to the club
    Cheers,
    Jacek

I have LBA and CBA for Pentax models not even announced!

In all the world none can compare to this tiny weaver
    His deadly cloth so silky and fair

I see that this thread hasn't been bumped in awhile. I literally joined today. I'm 16, from Chicago, and am a proud Nikonian, although I have great respect for Canon and Pentax. My D40 has barely left my hands since I got it in February last year. It's a little gem of a camera and, as you can see by my signature, I plan on complementing it with a bigger brother.

For some added insight, I know that the 70-300 (Sigma) is a crap lens, and regret purchasing it as I didn't do any research beforehand. I stupidly walked into a store with my dad in New York and bought it for more than it's worth ($300). Not selling it though, because it might be useful for summer flower photography, which I haven't explored yet. I acquired my 50 f/1.8 last week and it is already my favorite lens, by a wide margin. My dad has a D80 which he does not know how to use, and the 18-200.
    Last edited by foxesamu; 01-25-2009 at 02:28 PM.
    HAVE: D40 50mm f/1.8 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SB-400

WANT: D300 14-24mm f/2.8

foxesamu
    Welcome onboard - hope to see some of your photos here
    Is your 70 - 300 a non APO version?? I am suprised you dislike it that much - when I got mine I looked at a comparison between it and the competition - as I was planning on the Tamron - but it came out tops of it's kind (back then). I don't think it is the easiest of lenses to use and I rarely use mine - but it is a handy backeup and I have taken it out for the day successfully.
    Good luck saving for the D300
    Could you get your dad to sign up ...?
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler View Post
    foxesamu
    Welcome onboard - hope to see some of your photos here
    Is your 70 - 300 a non APO version?? I am suprised you dislike it that much - when I got mine I looked at a comparison between it and the competition - as I was planning on the Tamron - but it came out tops of it's kind (back then). I don't think it is the easiest of lenses to use and I rarely use mine - but it is a handy backeup and I have taken it out for the day successfully.
    Good luck saving for the D300
    Could you get your dad to sign up ...?
    It is indeed the non-APO. I dislike its build quality, the awful sound it makes when it focuses, and its image quality which is decent but not good enough to have bought it. I also dislike it because it was an uninformed purchase, like I mentioned. It would've been smarter to invest that $300 in a Nikkor 70-300, but even that might not have been necessary because I didn't need a tele. I didn't know what I was buying. If I were to go into a shop and buy a lens today I would know what I wanted.

As for my dad...

My dad has a D80 which he does not know how to use
    He keeps it in auto mode and isn't really a photo enthusiast. He is under the impression that just having a DSLR gives you better photos, which isn't necessarily true. I'm trying to coax him into learning more about his camera but he won't be joining any forums anytime soon.

Actually............? How does that work on a D40..?? (Sigma)
    I thought it wouldn't focus on one of those..
    yea - mines a bit clunky and noisy - but solid.
    I will replace it one day - but it's bottom of the list to change.

Just to make sure, if it doesn't actually say APS on the barrel, it isn't APS, correct?

Mine does not. It does have the USM in it though.

I'm going to give it another chance; maybe with some close-up photography this summer it will show its true strengths. The only time I have really used it was at a football game, aside from the weekend I got it. I can't say I've explored all of its ups and downs. The only problem in using it for close-ups is that it would never work as a macro lens. It has a very far focusing distance, as you know from yours. This is to be expected from a 70-300 non-macro, though.

Quote Originally Posted by foxesamu View Post
    Just to make sure, if it doesn't actually say APS on the barrel, it isn't APS, correct?

Mine does not. It does have the USM in it though.

I'm going to give it another chance; maybe with some close-up photography this summer it will show its true strengths. The only time I have really used it was at a football game, aside from the weekend I got it. I can't say I've explored all of its ups and downs. The only problem in using it for close-ups is that it would never work as a macro lens. It has a very far focusing distance, as you know from yours. This is to be expected from a 70-300 non-macro, though.
    There are clearly some differences it seems - mine is the 70 - 300APO and it claims to be macro - i think it is actually 1:2 - also you get a close up image - but you are a long way from the subject (at 300) so it's quite wobbly without a tripod - or else its a High ISO usually - saying that - it's not at all bad..reviewing old photos I am starting to feel a little more forgiving towards both my Sigmas!!
    Here's a quick close up at around 270mm: -
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Guys

Hello people, I joined this forum a few days ago, can't really remember how I found it to be honest. The reason I joined is to try and improve my photographic skills such as they are. I am purely an amatuer and have so much to learn, I have seen some amazing photographs on this forum.
    I also needs to learn tehcno jargon.
    I own an Olympus E-410 love taking photographs of old buildings, landscapes & birds.

Hi my name is Len

Name:  Ju & Je.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  39.1 KB
    This is my wife & daughter.
    Hi there My name is Len and I am new to this forum. I joined basiclly to see if i could pick up some useful tips from experienced photographers. I must say some of the pics on this forum (different threads) are just mind blowing. Also I need to brush up on the thecno jargon as well.
    I would like to post more pics that I have taken if you don't mind.