Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 43 of 59 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Arrow Welcome duffer18 and shahmatt!

duffer18hcp@sbcglobal.net:

Hi there, duffer18hcp@sbcglobal.net. Whew! That took a while to type! Is it OK if I just call you duffer18, Bill?

Welcome to these forums. It's nice to meet you. How long have you been into photography and what do you like the most to photograph?

So far, I have never used a DSLR myself. I used a film SLR a long time ago. You said you feel like you're learning to photograph all over again. What do you think are the biggest differences between a digital compact camera and an digital SLR, when it comes to using them?

Thank you for introducing yourself and good luck with your photography!

shahmatt:

Hello there, shahmatt! Welcome to these forums, even though you've already been here for a while.

So you got bitten by the shutter bug, huh! What's your favourite kind of subjects? How do you like your Fuji camera so far? How long is it since you got it?

BTW - where's the picture of yourself taken?

Thank you for introducing yourself, it's nice to meet you. Good luck with your photography!
    Last edited by Wesan; 08-17-2008 at 01:42 PM.
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)
    Fujifilm Fotonex 310ix (APS)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

Perhaps it's time to introduce myself as well...
    My first interest in this sport was in my late teens. (circa 1980)
    First SLR was a Mamiya NC-1000 bought shortly after I graduated HS.
    After a long hiatus through my late 20's & early 30's I got back into photography again, this time starting with a Minolta 300si and eventually graduating to a Maxxum 7. Now after another long break, and a bit of frustration with the P&S Canon Powershot A510 my company provided for project documentation, I went out and found a used Fuji S-2 to give me a bit more of the control an SLR affords.

I'd love to learn more about shooting people because it's an area I feel I'm really lacking in, but I enjoy shooting just about everything.

Jim
    Jim
    Fuji S2

Arrow Welcome jetrim!

Hello, jetrim! Nice to meet you. Thank you for introducing yourself. That was a nice introduction with just about everything I'd like to know. I can even get an idea about your age!

If you'd like some advice about shooting people (with your camera, that is...), I'm sure you'll be able to get it in the forums here. There are many nice and helpful people around here.

So, feel welcome to these forums and good luck with your photography!
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

Arrow jrbrown1991!

Hi there, jrbrown1991! Nice to...sort of...SEE you. Feel like telling us something about yourself too?
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

I'll try. ( No, I'm not born in 91. You probably guessed that with the receding hair line )

I came here for help choosing a DSLR camera, as I'm considering trying to work as a P.I.
    It'll be awhile before I finish studying and get all the equipment. I decided to get the camera first, so I can learn the ins and outs of that in the mean time.

With the help of the members here, I decided to get an XSi. It arrived Saturday, and I enjoy it quite a bit. I plan to get a 55-250mm f/4-5.6 next month.
    For fun, I've been practicing with "macro?" a bit.

jrbrown1991

Aha. Well, if you're considering trying to work as a P.I., I understand if you don't want to tell us too much about yourself. Sounds interesting and exciting, though! Or maybe the job is not like it seems in "Magnum PI"? Just kidding!

Welcome to these forums. Thank you for introducing yourself. It's nice to meet you. And good luck with your new camera, as well as your studies.
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesan View Post

shahmatt:

Hello there, shahmatt! Welcome to these forums, even though you've already been here for a while.

So you got bitten by the shutter bug, huh! What's your favourite kind of subjects? How do you like your Fuji camera so far? How long is it since you got it?

BTW - where's the picture of yourself taken?

Thank you for introducing yourself, it's nice to meet you. Good luck with your photography!

Well, I don't particularly have a favourite subject. I will shoot anything as long as its interesting and tells a story, or if its just beautiful to look at. Oddly enough, some of my most interesting shots have been in the most unlikely places, like here's one from a construction site. The construction workers like to use bicycles to get around in Singapore.

I've had the Fuji S6500FD for about 8 months now. I think its been an excellent learning camera. The manual optical zoom makes composition so very easy, and the plethora of controls gives potential for tremendous creativity, which I think I still have not exploited fully yet. Because its so like a DSLR in handling I think it gives an excellent prelude to using a DSLR. So when I do upgrade, I'll have a better idea of features I will need. I do still highly recommend it, though its out of production now.

Hehe, well that photo of me was taken while riding on a 'long-boat' along the Melinau river, somewhere in the middle of a rainforest in Mulu, close to Borneo. I was on a trekking expedition there about a month ago with some of my friends. Mulu has some beautiful limestone caves, and flora and fauna. It was quite a challenge for the camera, but I got some pretty good shots eventually of the caves. Here’s one of the limestone in the caves, (taken at ISO 1600 in Raw and post processed for noise). Each one of those stalagmites took several thousand years to grow up to that height! Great place to visit btw.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Samsung NX10+30mm+18-55mm OIS, Fuji S6500FD

Hello there! I figured I would reply to this thread since I'm obviously new. To start off, my name is Tracy, I'm an 18 year old female residing in Las Vegas, Nevada. I've been into photography for around 3 years now and still going strong. I started off with an interest in nature and landscape photography then gradually got into music and concert photos. Shooting for bands is one of my favorite hobbies, I love doing it and have had plenty of personal experience in that field and hope to pursue it as a profession in the future. I'm currently attending college and chose Commercial Photography as my major since it's most relevant with my chosen field.

My preferred type of camera to work with is Canon (very typical, right? haha) My previous camera was a Canon PowerShot A540 but I am in the process of upgrading to a PowerShot SX110 IS. Eventually I am planning on saving up for an SLR since I have worked with them in the past, but I don't take for granted what I have to work with. I'm also a fan of Peter Beste and Robert Gregory Griffeth's work.

Just thought I would keep this short, simple, and to the point. And also here is a photo of me just as a sample of what I look like...

Welcome, Tracy!

Hello there you too, Tracy Terrorist!

Welcome to these forums. It's nice to meet you. Although, I have to say that your user name did get me just a little bit scared - you're not a real terrorist, are you?? Feel like explaning your user name, maybe?

You take concert photos, you say. Do the bands hire you to take pictures of their concerts and then use the pictures you take? You're not alone with that interest here, BTW - there's at least one more guy here, who use to take concert photos (no, it's not me...).

Thank you for introducing yourself. I have a feeling you have quite a bit of talent. So good luck with your photography!
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS