Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 40 of 59 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast
    Hi!
    So are we doing the intro? Lol!
    I'm Lois according to my mom I'm a woman..which is really true. Ha!
    Anyhoo, I live In Dubai and it's a crazy place that's why I love it!

I can never get enough of taking pictures of the city, I don't think I'm very good at it though but if you are interested it's here

And then this is me

I'm just kidding! This is me for real:

Bleh! the image is so big it's annoying me...

Quote Originally Posted by Wesan View Post
    jekostas:
    Nice to meet you. The kind of macro photography you mention sounds interesting to me. What kind of equipment did you use for it, if you don't mind my asking? What camera and equipment do you use now? And what kind of photography do you prefer nowadays?

Do you by any chance have a picture of yourself, that you'd like to show us, BTW?

Welcome to these forums and thank you for introducing yourself.
    Thanks for the questions! I'll add a picture when I get a chance (ie. find one I like).

To answer your equipment question, I actually used an Olympus C-5050Z. I didn't have the money for an SLR and at the time, an F1.8 lens and a 3CM macro simply couldn't be matched in the marketplace, and the flip-out LCD display made composition considerably easier. I made my own lightboxes (you'd be surprised what white bendy drinking straws and printer paper will do for you) and used halogen lamps for lighting.

When your clients almost never want an image bigger than 1024x768, you have some leeway in terms of choice. I tended to shoot at full resolution and crop down, as while the Olympus had -relatively- low centre-of-frame distortion, it had some very bad vignetting issues wide open at 35MM.

Besides, it's studio macro - bokeh isn't something you have to worry about.

Anyways, fast forward a few years and with the change in work responsibility, I picked up an Olympus E-510 a few months ago and I've been steadily re-learning all the old photography lessons (when I gave up the Olympus, I picked up an S2is and had been using that for years). I don't really have any preferred type of photography these days, though I really have to remember to steer away from ALWAYS doing macro (comfort zone and all).

Welcome delarosa!

Hello there, delarosa! Welcome to these forums. It's nice to meet you.

The size of the image of you is not annoying to me. And the subject looks pretty good too.

How long have you been into photography and what camera equipment do you have? I took a quick look at your flickr page and it says the pictures were taken by an Olympus? Do you have other cameras too, maybe? BTW - I like those city pictures too. I also like the night pictures.

Again, welcome to these forums. I'm sure you'll find lots of help here, for any photography or camera problems you may have. And I'm sure you can help some of us too.

Thank you for introducing yourself and good luck with your photography!
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)
    Fujifilm Fotonex 310ix (APS)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

Quote Originally Posted by JTL View Post
    ... my very own graphic novel titled "Crazy American with Camera Wants to Shoot You: Making Locals Nervous Around the Globe"...
    ;D what a title

Quote Originally Posted by Margus View Post
    ;D what a title
    Hey, you just reminded me...I haven't shot anyone in Estonia yet!
    Some Gear: Nikon D700; Nikkor AF-S 50 f/1.4 G; Nikkor AF-S 24-85 3.f/5-4.5 G ED; Tamron 28-300 f/3.5-6.3 VC; Nikon SB-800; Velbon Maxi-F; Canon Pixma Pro 9000; Canon S3IS, Canon SD500; Epson 4990; Epson P5000; Wacom Intuos 3

Main Software: Capture NX2; Adobe PhotoShop CS2; Corel Paintshop Pro X2 Ultimate

Sold: Canon XT/350D, EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, Sigma 18-200 OS; Canon ET EF 25II; Kenko Pro 300 DG, Canon 430EX, Canon BG-E3.

Camera?

Hello there, delarosa! Welcome to these forums. It's nice to meet you.

The size of the image of you is not annoying to me. And the subject looks pretty good too.

How long have you been into photography and what camera equipment do you have? I took a quick look at your flickr page and it says the pictures were taken by an Olympus? Do you have other cameras too, maybe? BTW - I like those city pictures too. I also like the night pictures.

Again, welcome to these forums. I'm sure you'll find lots of help here, for any photography or camera problems you may have. And I'm sure you can help some of us too.

Thank you for introducing yourself and good luck with your photography!

Wesan!!! thank you btw you have an Arabic name, where are you from? My friends told me that I'm an Arab in an asian body haha!...I love the Middle East seriously it's a wonderful place and it breaks my heart that people from outside don't see it that way.

Ok so I'm very new in photography and I am actually having technical issues with my Olympus S80 but the members here have helped me with my questions. I still have my Sony Cybershot (I don't even know which model I have to look again), you see I am technically/electronically illiterate, and a photography novice to the core. I will go to school and study it though as I plan to take more Landscape and Architecture photos. Dubai is rich with these kind of things and I would like to use it to learn.
    Btw: I am planning to buy a DSLR and I am thinking to start with Nikon D80, do you think this is suitable for me?

Thanks again
    Lois

p.s JTL I stalked your threads because you make really good and valid arguments I learned and laugh lot from reading them while secretly thanking my stalking ability

Lois, the lens you go with will be more important than the body you choose. Judging from your pictures (which were nice), I'd say you'd definitely want a wide to normal/short telephoto lens. Maybe try to find something that doesn't have too much distortion. They all have it, but the worse it is, the more it'll show up in the straight edges of all those building shots. Also, you'll probably want a quality tripod for all of those night shots. Hopefully all of that makes sense.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    Lois, the lens you go with will be more important than the body you choose. Judging from your pictures (which were nice), I'd say you'd definitely want a wide to normal/short telephoto lens. Maybe try to find something that doesn't have too much distortion. They all have it, but the worse it is, the more it'll show up in the straight edges of all those building shots. Also, you'll probably want a quality tripod for all of those night shots. Hopefully all of that makes sense.
    Thanks Lukas (my Mini's name was Luca.. <3 btw)
    Maybe you could give me a variety of cameras to choose from and which lense should go with them? Of course I don't want to spend much on something I might not know how to use properly. I mean, I would rather enhance my skills first before I could invest in the equipments. I know that no matter how expensive the gadgets are if one does not have what it takes to utilize it, it would be a waste.
    btw: most of the recent photos of the buildings I have uploaded were taken while I am inside a moving car, I think my camera has a lot of good features, if only I could learn all of them which is what I'm doing.

another btw: Lukas your pictures are amazing...made my heart stop for a second...I look at Architecture photos all day long, I basically ditch work for this.
    Last edited by delarosa; 08-07-2008 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by delarosa View Post
    Wesan!!! thank you btw you have an Arabic name, where are you from? (---)
    Well...Wesan is not my real name. It's a nickname I got many years ago, when I did my military service. My real name is Ake, where the first letter should be a Swedish letter that looks like an "A" with a little ring above. Not sure if you can see it, if I type it here. But here's a try: . Can you see the A with the little ring above? I didn't know Wesan was an Arabic name, though.

They call you an Arab in an Asian body? You do have an Asian look. Are you from Asia originally?

I'm not sure I'm the best person here to give you advice on DSLR-cameras and lenses. I'm still trying to learn more about it myself. But, as you can see, there are other people here that know more about it, and who can help you.
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)
    Fujifilm Fotonex 310ix (APS)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

They call you an Arab in an Asian body? You do have an Asian look. Are you from Asia originally?
    Yes I am Asian with Spanish roots you can probably tell that by my last name but my asian blood is a lot stronger and that's why I look the way I look.

Oh and I saw the "A" with a halo...an Angel A...it's petty cool, I always thought that letters with special symbols (or whatever you cal it) like the smiley U in German letters and of course your angel A and the Russian writings are awesome, but i'm truly inlove with Japanese and Arabic Calligraphy...

Well let's learn together!...I've just been reading all that I can in this forum and it's already helping me a lot because they explain things in Human Languange not R2D2 style you know what
    I mean?...

And Wesan is very common here, or Wezam, Wazim etc.
    Last edited by delarosa; 08-07-2008 at 07:42 AM.