Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 37 of 59 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devina View Post
    my boyfriend has influenced me a lot with regard to taking pictures even more obsessively than I used to (within 2 months of getting the new camera, I've gone over 2000 pictures...I didn't do that with my old camera in 3 years!!!) and I followed him here to this forum!!! Attachment 35975
    Hi Devina, your boyfreind isn't Faisal by any chance. Just as you're the only two people on this forum I have noticed are in the UAE. Nice to meet you, I got a laugh from your photo, well done for creatively preserving your anonimity.

Hi Wesan and others, I've posted a bit primarily on the Nikon forum but never got around to introducing myself.

I would describe myself as an ametuar enthusiast. I have a poor skill set but have been frantically learning all I can for the last 5 or so months. This site has been invaluable to my learning experience and I tip my hat to the people who give their time to contribute to my learning and that of others. Also to Jeff for hosting the site and all his great work.

I've got about 40,000 shutter activations to my name (I know that because Lightroom is chugging away in the background as I type making a library of them). I've taken them over the course of the last 20 years (I'm almost 40). I'm just starting to come to grips with how to achieve my artistic intent when I click rather than relying on random chance.

I bought a Nikon D300 in Feb this year and absolutely love it. It makes taking a photo a pure joy. As my photography developed I started to understand the limitations of and be disappointed by my old Oly C350. I passed that onto my 7yo daughter and she's loving what I'd learnt to hate.

I like photographing my 4 kids but wish they'd stand still for just one minute. I also like general shots when out and about walking (birds, landscape, kids, macro). I think macro is where my interests really are, I'm planning on buying a decent tripod and a macro lens to facilitate that.

In terms of a photo of me I'll copy Devinas idea and post this one taken a couple months ago when it was warmer here in the southern hemisphere.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Hello to you, Dread Pirate Roberts!

Hello, Dread Pirate Roberts! Nice to meet you. Welcome to these forums, even if you've already been here a while and posted quite a few messages.

You've been taking pictures for 20 years and started learning 5 months ago? Well...after 20 years, I guess it's about time to start learning, then... Just kidding and teasing you a little.

Thank you for your nice introduction and good luck with your photography!
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)
    Fujifilm Fotonex 310ix (APS)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesan View Post
    Hi there, Devina! Welcome to these forums! It's nice to meet you.
    Nice to meet you and everyone else here too!

What kind of "terrible" photos (as you call them - I'm sure they're not that bad at all) do you like taking? Landscapes or portraits, for example? Have you shared any of your recent photos in any of the forums here?
    I've mostly taken photos of people ... myself, family, friends... now and then I take a photo of a car here and there. Recently have gotten into the habit of taking flower pics or generally anything that catches my eye (like a few days back, I tried unsuccessfully to take a picture of 2-3 ostriches in the back of a moving pickup). I've shared a pic or two in the photo gallery...yeah, But when I see everyone else's amazing photos, I honestly feel like my stuff isn't so great...feel weird posting amateur stuff up I'll get over it soon I guess and post more pics I hope!

As I understand you have found out already, this is a very good place to learn about photography. There's lots of nice and helpful people here to learn from.
    Yeah I know!!! I've been trying out some of the tips mentioned here ... which is pretty cool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    Hi Devina, your boyfreind isn't Faisal by any chance. Just as you're the only two people on this forum I have noticed are in the UAE. Nice to meet you, I got a laugh from your photo, well done for creatively preserving your anonimity.
    Good detective work!!!
    And nice pic

Gawd I've typed a lot ... also wanted to add that another reason for joining here is that I like looking at photographs... which is probably why I have about 40 odd pics in my room of good memories shown off for people to see
    Last edited by Devina; 05-16-2008 at 12:25 AM.
    Dee

Canon A720 IS
    Sony Cybershot DSC-P72

hmm....spot on Dread Pirate Roberts....I kinda bullied her here...

I never introduced myself here...and I don't think I'll do it now either...though Devina can do it for me...
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Minolta Riva 100AF, Sinpo PQ-3, Olympus mju-III wide 100, Yashica 635
    Digital
    Sony cybershot W90, cybershot T90
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Sigma 24mm f1.8|50mm f2.8|105mm f2.8 Samyang 8mm fisheye
    Portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by faisal View Post
    hmm....spot on Dread Pirate Roberts....I kinda bullied her here...
    I never introduced myself here...and I don't think I'll do it now either...though Devina can do it for me...
    What nonsense!!! You did not bully me!

Introduce you eh??? Alright... well you're a 21 year old (22 in a month) who is a bit mad about photography and cameras, jumping around, electronics, gaming and me (not necessarily in that order ). For all the cameras he's used, please see his profile, coz I honestly have no idea! He's obsessive about some things, as stubborn as anyone I've met, has a weird reaction to coffee (read: becoming high), writes sad poems, likes his cats even though he sneezes a lot coz of their hair and makes his friends for life.

Here is Faisal, the parkour guy... (he even has a vid of himself and his buddies on youtube doing parkour)
    Name:  n508891424_966039_1462.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  28.4 KB

... and here is Faisal the photographer (and he even ignores me for his camera!!!)
    Name:  IMG_2706.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  85.3 KB

Ok that's it... am not writing more about you!!!
    Dee

Canon A720 IS
    Sony Cybershot DSC-P72

Hello again, Devina!

Hello again, Devina! Thank you for introducing yourse...uhh...faisal. He seems like a true gentleman, asking his girlfriend to introduce him here, huh!

Anyway, it's nice to meet you through your girlfriend, faisal. It seems she isn't too keen on showing your face either. Maybe you can also ask her to tell us how long you have been into photography? And if you use to get pics of yourself doing parkour? That's a pretty cool sport. My youngest nephew has been doing it too.

Devina, please tell faisal he is welcome to these forums. And tell him good luck with his photography!
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

I'll do the rest of the introduction...

Got into photography about 3 1/2 years back (though I did use quite a few film cameras before that) when I became the person who used to be handed the camera at every event in college. Then about 2 1/2 years back got myself a 2mp mobile camera which I used for about 18 months taking almost 7,000 pictures with it. Last September I took the plunge into serious photography with a 400D. Since then I've run through 19500 shutter actuations on it. I hope to a upgrade to a 50D (whenever it releases).

I didn't take many pictures while practicing the art of Parkour but did do a not so great video.

And thanks for the welcome....though I've been here almost a year already...
    Film
    Nikon EM, Series E lenses 50mm f1.8|28mm f1.8|100mm f2.8, Sigma 80-200mm f4.5-5.6
    Digital
    Canon A720i|400D|7D|5DMKII|85mm f1.8|24-105mm f4|135mm f2|40mm f2.8|430EX II*2|BG-E3|BG-E7
    Portfolio

Well...you know...you're not really here, until you've introduced yourself in this thread...

Just kidding!
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

Well...you know...you're not really here, until you've introduced yourself in this thread...
    dammit...then I shouldn't have introduced myself...I'd be here but not really be here and spam everyone...
    Film
    Digital
    Portfolio

Haha! Gotcha, faisal!
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS