Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 11 of 59 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Hi Wesan,just wanted to say thanks for your response regarding camera choice in the people thread. This is your thread so I know you'll look here. I am leaning towards a Dslr.....I see no point spending a lot on a cam and craving an upgrade soon after. If you think differently,please do let me know. U can't begin to imagine how confused I am!!

Thanks again for your encouragement and input.

Best regards
    Chili !

PENTAX K10D
    SMCP FA 18-55MM
    SMCP FA 50MM 1.4
    SMCP FA 80-200MM
    TAMRON 28-75MM 2.8

Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans.

hello im reggie! ive been a "point and shoot on auto mode" digicam user for years but ive always had the desire to really learn how to use digicams to get the best pictures possible. when i get the money im going to get a GOOD camera and by then i hope to have leanred enough to be able to use it properly.
    Sony Cybershot DSC-w30 (killed in bike crash)

Canon Rebel XTi soon

Quote Originally Posted by Lilchilichoco View Post
    Hi Wesan,just wanted to say thanks for your response regarding camera choice in the people thread. This is your thread so I know you'll look here. I am leaning towards a Dslr.....I see no point spending a lot on a cam and craving an upgrade soon after. If you think differently,please do let me know. U can't begin to imagine how confused I am!!

Thanks again for your encouragement and input.

Best regards
    You're welcome, Lilchilichoco.

Is it OK if I let you know, if I don't think differently too? A DSLR will give you even more room to grow, than a compact camera. So if you feel that photography will be an interest that you will stay with for a longer time, a DSLR might also be a good choice to start with. But you have to keep in mind, that in order to get the same zoom range as with a compact super zoom camera like the Canon Powershot S3 or the new Sony DSC-H7 and DSC-H9, you will need to buy probably 3 (or more) different zoom lenses for a DSLR. And good quality lenses for DSLR-cameras are expensive. There are cheaper alternatives too, of course, but then you might not get the same image quality as with a more expensive lens. How much you notice the difference between a cheap and more expensive lens, is different matter, though.

There are also more accessories you can choose from and buy for a DSLR. You may also need to buy an external flash for the DSLR, in case it does not have a built-in flash. An external flash may still be a good accessory to have with any camera, though. I have one for my S3 too.

In short: A DSLR equipment will be (a lot) more expensive to buy, than a compact camera. But the image quality and the quality of the camera itself and accessories you buy for a DSLR, is usually better than it is with a compact camera. And you can continue to add to your camera equipment in a way you can't with a compact camera.

But I guess you've probably figured this out by yourself already...

A personal advice, that I like to think about myself, when I'm going to buy something like a camera or TV or something else like that, is this:

Don't buy the cheapest brand and model you can find. If you do, you will probably be disappointed with it for different reasons sooner or later. It's better to save some more money and buy a model that's at "mid level" at least. Choose a more well known and popular brand, that has got good reviews and that might be a bit more expensive, than a cheaper brand that's more unknown. Because usually, most of the time, if it's more expensive, it is also better quality in different ways. Usually, "you get what you pay for". And if it's more popular, it's because more people want it. And people usually want what's good. That's what I personally think and beleive, at least. Again, others may think differently.

Keep looking around in the forums here. Have you seen the manufacturer specific DSLR forums? You may find some good information and advice in those, about different DSLR brands and models.

My reasons for choosing the Canon Powershot S3IS compact camera, was that I wanted the zoom range it has, without having to buy expensive DSLR lenses. The S3IS was also what I could afford. And with a DSLR, you need to carry around more and heavier equipment, if you want to be able to use different lenses while you're out shooting. Although...I've bought accessories for my S3 also, so it's not that "lightweight" to carry around anymore either...

Whew! I thought this would be a short reply to you - boy, was I wrong! LOL

Well...good luck with your "camera hunting", Lilchilichoco! Take your time and think carefully, before you buy your DSLR camera and lenses and other equipment. Be as sure as you can, that you get the right camera for you.

We're looking forward to see your photos, once you get your DSLR camera!
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)
    Fujifilm Fotonex 310ix (APS)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

Quote Originally Posted by regP View Post
    hello im reggie! ive been a "point and shoot on auto mode" digicam user for years but ive always had the desire to really learn how to use digicams to get the best pictures possible. when i get the money im going to get a GOOD camera and by then i hope to have leanred enough to be able to use it properly.
    Hello, reggie! Nice to meet you and thank you for introducing yourself. And welcome to these forums! I'm sure you can learn a lot about how to use a camera properly, in the forums here.

If you have a camera, that has other modes than just auto, don't be afraid to "play around" with it and try other modes and settings on it. It's a good way to start learning. I'd say that the most important things to know about, is how shutter speed and aperture works on a camera and how they affect your photo. But maybe you know those things already?

Do you feel like showing us a picture of yourself, maybe? It's OK if you don't, too, of course.
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

Quote Originally Posted by Wesan View Post
    Hello, reggie! Nice to meet you and thank you for introducing yourself. And welcome to these forums! I'm sure you can learn a lot about how to use a camera properly, in the forums here.

If you have a camera, that has other modes than just auto, don't be afraid to "play around" with it and try other modes and settings on it. It's a good way to start learning. I'd say that the most important things to know about, is how shutter speed and aperture works on a camera and how they affect your photo. But maybe you know those things already?

Do you feel like showing us a picture of yourself, maybe? It's OK if you don't, too, of course.

yeah ive been shooting with manual settings for the past few days and ive got it figured out (seeing as the only things my camera has to set is ISO, Color, and Focus). i find it holding me back now, soon as i get the money im going to get a DSLR!

Sony Cybershot DSC-w30 (killed in bike crash)

Canon Rebel XTi soon

Smile

Hi Wesan.

Umm, where do I start? Okay, here goes.

I'm a 30yo guy living in Indonesia. I used to study IT, but dropped out of my university due to some severe dislike to some of the courses offered (you cannot choose your courses back then).

Just started photography last May, 2006. Still a newbie
    Just received an AE-1 Program with 3 FD Lenses. 50mm f/1.4, 60-210 and 75-300 (don't use them yet. Badly infested with fungus).

I used to spend my time reading reviews and drooling over cameras which I like (but might never buy ). You know, seeing the picture of the ppl behind the nickname gives this forum a certain sense of warmth (am I spelling that right?)

As a picture of me, I have no pictures of me(alone) in my HD atm, so here's a pic of my and my fiancee, a pre-wedding picture, taken by a friend's D70s. (I'm the fat guy jumping on the right )

Name:  Me & Funny.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  167.0 KB

Please disregard the dust bunnies. The one on the upper right just refuses to go even after several seconds of rigorous blowing
    This is my first time posting here. I hope I managed to get it right. Sorry for any grammatical errors!

Hello there, ILoveTifa!

Welcome to these forums! Nice to meet you and thank you for introducing yourself. I'm glad you like this thread.

Yeah...for some reason, it's always nice to read (and drool over, LOL) reviews and specifications of any kind of gadget you'd like to have...

So...uhh...may I ask - if you dropped out of your IT studies, what did you end up becoming? Did you choose a different profession or did you become an "IT guy" anyway?

The Canon AE-1 Program is a pretty cool old 35 mm. film camera. I take it you have a digital camera too?

You seem to have got your first post right! And I think your English is good as well.
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

Hi Wesan. Thanks for your kind reply.

Well, I'm trying to make a living here by doing a little mini-mart business (you know, opening up a store like 7-11?) and doing a little freelance photography. I dropped out of my study because of the RPG course (report program generator). For some reason I hated the AS/400 .

It's funny to see that quite a lot of my friends, after they graduated, instead of becoming an IT person, actually do other kinds of work unrelated to the IT world

Yes, you're right. I have an EOS-30D. You know, when I bought the camera, the people at the store had a good laugh when I asked them how to change a lens! Didn't mention it in the first post because I'm afraid people will think I'm a show-off, being a beginner in photography but with an SLR. Sorry!

About the AE-1 program, I'll say that it is a piece of brick. Very solid. I love it!
    Still use it a lot. Too bad it's hard to find places to obtain a good FD lens. eBay won't ship here too, for a reason I understand very well

Sincerely,
    ILT

Thank you Wesan..

I am ok with anything you have to tell me…..in fact….I look forward to it.

Photography is my passion…as is a lot else….and I hope to someday make it my profession too….God willing!! So yes,Dslr is what I am going for…..my only hitch is which one…….

The cost of lenses is also a determining factor….DonSchap,our inhouse Sony loyalist had some great arguments for the A100,but I intend to do a lot of night photography….and somehow…..I don’t like what Sony does to night shots….but the IS is very very tempting…….then ofcourse there’s the no brainer Canon…..and Nikon, XTI and D50/70 …but they both would need VR lenses…..that’s an expense that I do not wish to incur at the moment……what in your opinion would be better to start off with? I’ve been looking at Pentax K 100 d for SR and high ISO both……I know that all cameras are good……but for a serious amateur, with small and not so steady hands, wanting to snap everything…..at all times…….which camera would work? I am not looking for the cheapest….but to start with, sub 1000$.

Thank you so much for responding Wesan, you are very kind. Really appreciate your help.

Best regards
    Chili !

PENTAX K10D
    SMCP FA 18-55MM
    SMCP FA 50MM 1.4
    SMCP FA 80-200MM
    TAMRON 28-75MM 2.8

Life is what happens to you when you are busy making other plans.

Smile You're welcome, Lilchilichoco.

I'm glad you find my replies helpful, Lilchilichoco. However, I don't think my knowledge about different DSLR-cameras is deep enough, to give you advice about which one to choose. I feel I still have a lot to learn too...

What I personally use to do, when I'm going to buy something like a camera or the like, is reading reviews about the thing in question. Like if it's about a camera, I read what the reviewers think about the different cameras and also look at the sample photos they have taken. I try to find out how the camera performs in the field(s) of application I plan to use it. Then, I try to decide what camera would fit my needs the best, considering the money I can spend on it. But when it comes to DSLR-cameras, different lenses can affect the image quality more or less also. So that makes it more complicated, to choose a DSLR and a lens that will make you happy with the result altogether.

I don't know what review sites for digital cameras you know about, but here are the ones I know, that I think are good:

www.dcresource.com (this one!)
    www.steves-digicams.com
    www.dpreview.com
    www.cyberphoto.se (Swedish and Finnish only... They test and sell cameras, lenses and other accessories - I bought my S3 on the Swedish site, BTW)

You know how much you want to spend on your camera. That helps narrowing down your options. Now, you can look for and read reviews of cameras around that price. Read the the reviews carefully and look carefully at the sample photos. Compare the different cameras and the sample photos taken with them. Also note what lens they have used. If they have used a kit lens (that you get with the camera in some of the packages), and you think the image quality seems OK, then it might be a good idea to buy the camera with that kit lens. It could be a good start and, as I understand, you use to get a bit lower price than if you'd buy the camera and lens separately.

I beleive the lenses you use with a DSLR can affect the image quality pretty much. But if you want to take a lot of night photos, you probably want to choose a "fast lens", as they call it. That's, as far as I understand, a lens that has a low lowest aperture value (it has a large largest aperture opening), if you see what I mean? Again, I'm no expert in this area, but I would guess that a large largest aperture opening (for a lens used for night photography) would have an F-number of 2.0 and smaller. However, if you plan to shoot in complete darkness, without a flash...I'm not sure any lens would be sufficient...

There are third party lenses that might be cheaper than original brand lenses (for example, original brand lenses for Canon cameras are Canon lenses - third party lenses are brands like Tamron and Sigma, they are manufacturers that make lenses for different camera brands).

For night photography, you will probably also want a camera that has as little noise as possible at high ISO values. So this might be a priority for you, when choosing your camera.

Another thing that can help you decide what camera to buy, could be the design. By this, I mean the design and layout of the different controls and menues the camera has. Do the control buttons and knobs seem easy to understand and use to you? Do they seem to be well placed on the camera for your needs? Do the different menues seem understandable and easy to use to you? These things can be important to think about as well.

Decide first what is most important to you, in a camera (price?). Then, find a few cameras that have those qualities. Then, continue and decide what is second most important and narrow down your selection further (size or noise level at high ISO?). Continue like this and, finally, you will (hopefully) have found the camera that best fits your needs (considering the price you can afford).

When you have come this far, it's time to start all over again, when deciding what lens(es) (and/or other accessories) to buy! Don't forget you need to include at least one lens with the price are you willing to pay, too! A DSLR-camera without a lens is not of much use...

In short - the DSLR world is pretty complex. And the more you learn, the more complex it gets... But a good way to start learning, is to ask other people what they know and think - like you have. But! Try also to read reviews and look at sample photos taken with the cameras and lenses you are wondering about. Then try to find out which camera and lens(es) that will be the best choice for you. Maybe visit stores and hold them and try them hands-on, if possible. Maybe they will even let you take some own sample photos with them, that you can compare at home on your computer later?

There is probably no camera and lens combination that is completely perfect for you in every way. So you'll have to decide which one will be the best compromise.

Maybe you have done all these things already (read and compared reviews and sample photos etc.)? In that case, I'm sorry I couldn't help you any further. Still, you're the one who has to make the final decision. You're the only one who can find out what will be the best choice for you. No matter how much advice and suggestions you get, you will most likely still have at least a couple of choices left to choose between.

It seems to me, that you have done a pretty good job already, learning about different cameras and lenses. You even know what kind of lenses they would need, as it seems! I think you know more about it than me already! Maybe you just need some time to think and let your thoughts and impressions about the different cameras and lenses settle down in your brain? Then, the camera and lens(es) that seem like the best choice for you, will surface sooner or later.

So...another LONG reply from me! Whew! I think my fingertips are starting to get sore...LOL

I wish you VERY GOOD LUCK, 3PCG - Photography Passionate Phone Cam Girl!
    Last edited by Wesan; 03-04-2007 at 02:00 AM.
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS