Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Smile Introduce yourself (face the photographer)!

This thread is open to all members of the DCRP-forums, who feel like sharing some information about themselves, regardless of membership status and what camera you have (that is - it doesn't have to be a Canon... ).

I asked in the "Some S3 pics" thread that we'd introduce ourselves and let each other know if we're guys or girls, because it can be difficult to know that from the nickname. Some of you have already answered - thank you!

But maybe it's better to do this in an own thread? If you agree, please post a message here, saying your nickname on these forums and if you're a guy or a girl (or "man" or "woman", or "male" or "female" or whatever you feel you are - let's not be prejudiced here... )

Feel free to add a photo of yourself, if you want to, or any other information about yourself you'd like to share, as well.

I'll start with myself:

Hello. My name is Wesan and I'm a guy. I've been using cameras since I was pretty young, now that I think about it. I think I've had cameras since I was around 10 years old. My interest in photography has went up and down over the years, I think. I've had a number of different cameras, as you can see in my signature. Most of them film cameras of different kinds.

My favourite film camera was the Canon EOS 600, which I got in the late '80s. That's an SLR and I was planning to get more lenses for it. But I never could afford any more lenses than the 35-105 zoom lens I got when I bought the camera. I always wanted more zoom, though. So I decided that the next camera I'd get, had to be one with lots of zoom. A problem with film cameras is the film - you don't get many photos on a roll of film and the film is also expensive to buy and develop. Digital cameras are much better that way.

Well...after many years, when the digital cameras appeared, my "dream camera" was one of those Olympus cameras with 10x zoom. But it was not until this year that I could finally afford to get a new digital camera. Then, I had decided a while ago already, that it would be the Canon Powershot S3IS. Yes, I had one digital camera before the S3 - the Samsung Digimax 101, a 1.3 megpixel camera. It was a lottery prize, so I got it for free. It's not good...I don't like using it. It works best outdoor in good sunlight...indoor - forget it!

In case you'd be interested to see some of my pictures (both "film photos" and digital), you can do that on my homepage:

http://www.wesans.nu

Click on "Gran Canaria 2009" or "Old homepage" to the left to find the pictures. The film photos (most photos on the old homepage) are scanned from paper copies (right expression?) of photos from either my EOS 600 or my Fujifilm Fotonex 310ix ZOOM MRC (the Fujifilm is an APS-camera where you can switch the roll of film to another one and then switch back again (Mid Roll Change, MRC) - cool!). And the digital photos are mostly from my Canon Powershot S3IS (for example: all of the Gran Canaria photos).

Here's a picture of me:

What else to say about myself? Well...I worked as an IT-consultant for about 13 years. Mostly worked with programming and system maintenance (I think you call it that in English) on mainframe computers. After 13 years, I lost the job. Now, I have studied to become a teacher and have a part time job as a teacher (and computer technician) at an IT and education company in the town where I live.

I have a girlfriend, who I met online soon 13 years ago. She is from the Philippines but lives in the USA. A hobby I had before (about 15-20 years ago), was music. I used to play and mix records and CDs like a DJ. But only at home... I recorded some of the mixes I did on tape. Recorded them on an Akai GX 4000D (a tape deck with, I think, 7" reels) and then I could copy them to cassette tapes. I used a Phonic disco mixer (Phonic MRT-70, I think) to mix the records and CDs. I also used to play the piano for 10 years, while I was going to school (about the age of 10 to 19).

I have also trained Jiu-Jitsu and Ju-Jutsu, two related Martial Arts. Swimming and weight training are a couple of other things I've done in my past life. Right now...I only seem to be lazy, watching TV, surfing online and taking photos...

I was born on February 1 1965. Getting old, huh!

Well...this was an introduction of me! It was a bit long, maybe. You don't have to write as much yourselves, of course. Just as much as you feel like.

It would be nice to know some more about the members of these forums, so I hope you will like to introduce yourselves in this thread.

Welcome!
    Last edited by Wesan; 02-14-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Feb 15 2010: updated info and address to homepage
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)
    Fujifilm Fotonex 310ix (APS)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

cut and pasted this one from the "Some S3 pics" thread.

My screen name is TEMPA, real name Justin and I am a guy...

I live in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

This is me -

Taken yesterday when I got home from my trip to the airport to take some shots (pics from the airport in the S3 pics thread.)

TEMPA
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the greatest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill."
    Sun-Tsu

Quote Originally Posted by TEMPA View Post
    cut and pasted this one from the "Some S3 pics" thread.

My screen name is TEMPA, real name Justin and I am a guy...

I live in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

(---)
    Again (since you replied already in the S3 pics-thread), nice to meet you, TEMPA. And thank you for introducing yourself in this thread.
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

This isn't restricted to "senior members" is it?

Hello Wesan and Tempa!

Well I'll keep it brief then since I'm not really established here yet. It's nice to see such an international mix of users here!

My real name is Jamie, male, 29 years old. I'm a graduate student in Classical languages (Greek and Latin) at the University of Kentucky (USA).

I spent four years in the Marines and travelled through most of Europe and parts of Asia. Right now I'm just trying to make it through school.

I was never much a photoghrapher until I got my first digital camera (an old Olympus Stlyus Zoom in the late nineties), and someday, wherewithal permitting, I hope to enter the exciting realm of DSLR. Right now I'm stuck with my trusty Nikon Coolpix 5700 which has taken over 4000 pictures in four years. I'm thinking about the Panasonic DMC-FZ50 next (yes I'm aware of it's shortcomings, but it I think it makes up for it, and besides, it can be had for a really good price these days).

I have a Flickr album, but it only has pictures of a conference I recently attended at Oxford, so they aren't some of my best shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50688644@N00/

Here's a not-so-recent photo of me, please excuse the creatures:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Canon 5D Mark II (Canon 35mm/1.4L | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Canon 135mm/2L | 430EX II | Gitzo G1125 + 494RC2)

flickr

I bought a new camera. It's very advanced - you don't even need it. ~Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
    This isn't restricted to "senior members" is it?
    This thread is open for all members of these forums, who like to share some information about themselves.

Thank you for introducing yourself and nice to meet you, GoneTomorrow!
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS

okie dokie

I suppose I'll post even though I'm fairly new here.

My name's Matt and I'm a guy. I'm 15 and currently a sophamore in high school. I recently got my first camera (Canon SD700IS), and I love it so far.

Me

Nice to meet everyone

Hey guys,

My name is Steve Le (steveLe), and I am 18 years old. I am a senior in high school and an aspiring graphic designer/artist. Graphic design is my main major in college; hopefully, I get accepted to Temple: Tyler's School of Art.

Photography was never really my thing, although there were times I wanted to get a quick snapshot. It was only recently, when I told myself, that I needed a digital camera to take shots of things/textures for my art. I spent a couple days trying to find a camera that was good, reliable, and met my standards. The S3is was no joke. I ended up getting that and it hasn't failed me yet. Now, I take photography really seriously.

One advantage that photography has is that it helps with my design and art work. Photography is based on what you think looks good. With that in mind, I tend to have a different workflow when doing any design work, by looking for composition and form. On the other hand, design has helped my photography also by making me think outside the box and have that balanced look and feel.

All in all, this community has really helped me understand photography a lot better and is a great social surrounding. Thank you guys =)

Here are several self portraits of myself:

Here is my flickr:
    http://flickr.com/photos/stevele

Here is my personal website:
    http://stevele.net (still under construction)

-steveLe
    Last edited by steveLe; 11-28-2006 at 05:12 PM.
    Canon Powershot S3 IS with
    -- Lensmate 52mm Adaptor, Hoya UV Filter, and a Hoya Polarizer
    -- Corsair 2GB SD [60x] and Sony 2700mAh AA's

---- IDeas for :: website :: blog :: flickr :: myspace

It's nice to get some background on people! I am new to photography (had barely even picked up a camera until 8 months ago when I bought my D50.) Many people here have written about how photography changes the way they see things. That has been one of my favorite things about it.

I also play the guitar and piano and I like to ride my bicycle, although I've done little of that since I got my camera I do travel (within 400 miles, usually) a lot. Put a lot of miles on my little car. I've been living in rural Utah, now I'm moving to Wyoming.

Right now my favorite type of shots are night shots. I also like to take pictures of waterfalls, and I prefer to shoot alone Mostly because I like to take FOREVER on one subject, and I don't want my companions to get bored. I want to take more pictures of people.

My two favorite quotes: "I cannot do everything; but I can do something. I will not refuse to do the something I can do." I think that's by Helen Keller. And, "Self-respect is the cornerstone of all virtue."

Name:  Tori2 resized.jpg
Views: 4297
Size:  32.9 KB
    Okay, after seeing this picture for the first time in 7 months or so, I can tell that I need to learn how to process skin tones ...
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Hey. I'm Cory and i seem to be the "freak" of the group! I'm 23. I'm visually impaired due to Stargardt Macular Dystrophy. I was inspired to get into photography by 40's and 50's pin up. However, i did not get my first serious camera (s3) until this past summer for my trip to California to visit my girlfriend at school. I would love to get into Fashion photography, or pin-up or something else of that caliber.. car magz, Gq, playboy.. something like that.

I haven't stopped snapping since and i have three more trips planned soon. One to Cali in spring to visit my girl, one to arkansas to meet my biological mother and my sister (both of whom i've never met before. I've just started talking to my sis and have yet to talk to 'mom') and then fall will bring me back to Cali. Sooo... yeah!

Here're some Pre S3 self portraits (Sorry for the size, these two are from photobucket):

And some S3 self portraits:

And a few of my girlfriend and I together and i'm done!

Alright.. enough of the pictures.. now my links to my Flickr gallery and to my Myspace are all in my signature! Please stop by and add me!

~Cory
    Last edited by downtrodden; 11-28-2006 at 09:37 PM.
    Canon 50D; 17-55 F2.8 IS, 70-200 F4L IS, 50 F1.8, BG-E2n

Downtrodden's Flickr - Deviant Art: LAME

Smile Nice meeting you!

mpittman17, stevele, toriaj and downtrodden:
    Nice to meet you all and thank you for introducing yourselves! A couple of you I have met here in other threads already, but it's interesting to learn some more about you. And for new users/members (or people from other forums ) I'm sure it's interesting also.

toriaj:
    I recognize the "problem" with taking "forever" on one subject - sometimes I think I do it myself... But I still might not get a good result though, even if I take A LOT of pictures of the subject.

downtrodden:
    Since you brought it up yourself - may I ask what is "Stargardt Macular Dystrophy"? How does it affect your vision? If you think it's too personal, you don't have to answer, of course, and I'm sorry for asking.
    Wesan

"Analogue"/film cameras
    Agfamatic 2000
    Canon EOS 600 (SLR)

Digital cameras
    Samsung Digimax 101
    Canon Powershot S3IS