Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation SLR for new Photography Student

I have recenlty been accepted to CDIA at BU for photography and I need a SLR camera. I was wondering what SLR I should get, what package etc. Im very open for good help. My price range is around 700$ US Dollars. thanks

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    There're quite a few nice cameras around for under $700.
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a.../sortby=priceA

The Pentax K110D sounds good from ButterflyPhoto at $400. I think this is the version without the anti-shake sensor.

That and a couple of pentax lenses should get you going quite well. It's an excellent student's camera.

The Nikon D40 and D50 are on that list, and would be good options as well as the Pentax K110D recommended above. My best recommendation: go to a store and handle the cameras. Feel how they are in your hands, which one "feels the best." All of them are good cameras. You're looking for the best one for _you._

I would recommend getting lens(es) with focal ranges from 18 - 200 mm if possible. If not, 18 - 80 mm would probably be a minimum.

Let us know what you decide, and post your first shots!
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

I've generally heard photography courses required you to have film cameras with full manual controls.

not true at all.
    there should be beginner classes somewhere near you for every type of camera and experience level

Thanks

I've taken great shots with my point and shoot camera, I just used today a fully manual 90's olympia camera. A friend of mines. Im so not use to manual features, setting this, adjusting that. This is why I am taking the class though. thank for the help. Im looking for packages?

Somthing with a lense or two, a tripod, batteries, etc.

thanks guys. If youd like to see the photos from ym fist manual session, I can send the link

And

I have a question about manual cameras. The Nikon D50 and D40 do not run on film? They have an LCD screen that lets you view what you just took. But let are manual cameras

Im also looking for some sort of package. A lense or two, tripo case, etc.

So I'm getting set on the d40, I've read alot about them. Any suggestions for a lense and flash?

When it comes to packages, I haven't seen one yet that comes with a tripod.

Most "kits" come with body, 1 or 2 lenses, battery, charger, neck strap, cables, and software. That is enough to get you started. Then you buy the tripod, more lenses, filters, flashes, reflectors, etc. on your own. I would be suspicious of any packages that did include these items. They would probably be of low quality.

You asked if the Nikon D40 and D50 run on film. No, they are digital cameras. Meaning that they save the pictures electronically, and you print them out. There is no film to develop. You do get to view the pictures on the LCD directly after taking the picture.

To start out, I think the on-board flash on the D40 would be enough. You don't need to buy another one until you get to be quite advanced. For lenses, though, I would recommend that you get a focal range of at least 18 - 80 mm.

If you only buy 1 lens: http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-18-125mm...H9AVE6&s=photo That is the Sigma 18 -125 mm. It will allow you to zoom the subject a little both closer and further away.

Looks like the D40 will come in a kit with the Nikkor 18-55 lens. I have that lens, and I like it. But you would probably want a 2nd lens to be able to bring the subject closer. If you are trying to save money, the Sigma 70 - 300mm is a good one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search Those two lenses are the ones I have, and I like them.

If you get a 3rd lens, I have heard that these two are great. http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nik...700163-7196608 for $268, or http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-Nik...700163-7196608 for $114, if you need to save a little money.

I hope that helps ... yeah, post the link to your first manual shots!
    Last edited by toriaj; 11-25-2006 at 06:59 PM.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr