Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craig's list

Craig's list

Craig's list often has used and new camera's for sale in the Electronic's section. If there is one near you then you can buy or sell locally:

http://www.craigslist.org/

Craigslist purchase

I called on a camera, and found almost all were wedding pro's who shoot thousands of pictures.. many more than any normal user.. and it is known that the camera will "wear out" so to speak at some number of clicks. So beware of the "student" selling a top of the line Canon to "pay for tuition"
    I checked back to earlier dates and found that when this guy stated he was, by his moniker, a wedding photographer it did not sell. So he changed the email address he used.. and it sold. If 100-200 thousand clicks seems unrealistic... figure they shoot hundreds of shots a day.....
    Just be aware (beware) of deals that sound too good to be true. They often aren't. I won't even mention grey market or stolen goods as that is negative thinking.
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Lumix FZ20
    DMC L1

selling a nice camera on craigslist is dumb for the seller anyway....since you'll always get more people interested in it on ebay

my girl bought a few things from people on craigslist and everything went fine...but when I tried to sell my dad's car for him..we were plagued with scammers sending fake cashier's checks

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Having seen Craigs list it would not surprise me to find that most things there are fraudulant.

I glanced through several categories at random. There seemed to be an awful lot of whores (presumably) advertising under "erotic services" (I kid you not - there's an "erotic services" advertised). The rest seemed very spartan. It might vary from state to state but there wasn't a lot in SC other than that.

Generally when I see magazines/websites where sexual services are offered, the standard of the magazine/website is fairly low and not only that but most of the scammers seem to be there advertising "male enhancement" etc.

From my brief investigation, craigslist seems best avoided.

I don't feel a big need to defend Craig's list but I don't see how you can write it off and say most items are fraudulant simply because in the personal's sections you saw some ads for erotic services. I have never bought anything from craig's list and just recently learned about it so I can't vouch first hand for it. However, I made some inquiries about furniture that I am looking for and they all seemed like legitimate sellers who were offering good deals in some cases. Likewise, I've checked Craig's ads in my city for cameras and pc's and they seem legit as far as I can tell and some seem like good deals. Here are some examples of cameras. The two new digitals aren't great deals because they are asking nearly the going rate. The used film SLR may be a better deal.

Canon Digital A530 Camera NEW IN BOX - $140
    New Canon Powershot SD450 - $199
    Canon SLR camera w/ 28-90mm Lens - Excellent condition - $250

Of course there may be some fraud and bad deals on Craig's. Isn't that true of ebay and all other similar sites? Buyer beware. It probably does vary by city. Some places are better than others.
    Last edited by bascom; 11-22-2006 at 11:20 AM.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by bascom View Post
    I don't see how you can write it off and say most items are fraudulant simply because in the personal's sections you saw some ads for erotic services.
    But I did not say that. Re-read what I actually said.

craigslist

I am in the Chicago area, and there are a lot of items for sale on Craigslist.

I have sold a few things on craigslist, one of them just this past weekend. I will admit there are scams, but they are pretty easy to avoid. If you are selling, only accept cash, and consider meeting the person somewhere other than your home if possible. Otherwise, it is mostly local selling only, so you go see the item and make your decision.

I ignore any requests to pay me with a money order or cashiers checks. Cash only!

-j13

re:ebay

Actually it isn't a bad idea to sell on craigslist as opposed to ebay because ebay takes 8.75% and you also have to go to the post office and ship the thing, with the time it takes to box it up etc. Paypal also holds you liable if the camera breaks.

I haven't had any problems with Craigslist and have bought numerous camera items from sellers....Canon 1DS, Canon 5D, Canon 40D, lenses, flashes, nothing has broke yet but I usually flip the stuff for a profit after buying it cheap and using it for a while.

I find almost universally that in the NYC area (newyork.craigslist.org), that the prices are higher than eBay.

Esp. on classic equipment, they try to sell even above KEH prices. I can't imagine how you're flipping for profit, but maybe it varies by region substantially?

A lot of people are coming onto hard times, it's not unimaginable that good deals are can be found.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%