Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Kenji Chihaya Guest

Wider Lenses or No Focal Lenght adjustment, Which one is better?

Hi all,

It is my very first post in this forum, and first I would like to say I have been reading the threads here and found many helpfull info. Thanks to all you guys.

I started taking pictures using a nikon fm10, and then upgraded to a auto focus model (f80). When they released the D100 I bought one and kept using my set of lenses (a 50mm f1,4 and a 35-105mm 3,5-4,4).

I use to shoot a lot indoors, under poor light conditions and very narrow spaces, where I need a fast wide angle lens. Most places I shoot, such as temples and museums don't allow me to use flash and some don't allow me to bring a tripod in. I also shoot lots of architecture stuff, so I really need to have wide angles.

Hence, since I started using D100 the Focal lenght adjustment has been a major problem for me, as the lenses I used before became useless for what I am shooting.

There I thought of moving to Canon EOS 5D, in order to get rid of Focal lenght adjustment, and be able to get the wide angles I want. I have read lots of reviews saying that canon performs better than nikon (has less noise at high Sensibility values, sharper images and so on), so I have to confess I am really tempted to move to canon system.

Still, I also thought that buying Nikon super wide lenses, lets say, 14mm or 16mm would give me the wide angles I need. Especially because I want light stuff, and from what I have seem on catalogues and web pages, nikon lenses are lighter and smaller.

What I want ask you guys is whether I should buy these lenses or should I move to canon and sell my nikon stuff in order to buy canon lenses.

My budget is 400,000 yen (about 3,800 bucks, I guess), and I think I can sell my current equipment for another 150,000 yen.

I want to have at least a 50mm and a 24mm set. In the case of nikon I would have a 35mm (or maybe a 28mm) and a 16mm, in order to have the equivalent after the 1,5 focal lenght modifier applies. That means I have to buy an entire new set of lenses for nikon, and some of the more expensive ones (the wider).

I am very concerned with image quality and I wanna make big prints of my pictures.

Could some one please help me to decide wheter I buy wider lenses of move to Canon EOS 5D?

Sorry if there are some English mistakes in my text.

With regards.

I think no one is replying because we all wish we could have such a dilemma.

It sounds to me like you really want to get the fancier and more-expensive full-frame-sensor camera, and want help talking yourself into it. So, I say, hey, go for it.