Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

How to Store - In or Out?

1. Can batteries be stored touching eachother? For instance can I put ten batteries in a pouch of my camera bag together? If not, what is the best way to store many batteries? Are there cases? If I can store them touching, does it matter if it is side to side or top to bottom? Will storing them a certain way create a discharge?

2. Can I leave batteries in the charger (unplugged) or will the batteries loose charge? For instance, I have a travel charger that holds my batteries nicely and conserves space, can I leave them in there for long amounts of time until I need them?

3. Should I store batteries uncharged or charged?

Any help would be great!

Gruhn

Quote Originally Posted by ryangruhn View Post
    1. Can batteries be stored touching eachother? For instance can I put ten batteries in a pouch of my camera bag together? If not, what is the best way to store many batteries? Are there cases? If I can store them touching, does it matter if it is side to side or top to bottom? Will storing them a certain way create a discharge?

2. Can I leave batteries in the charger (unplugged) or will the batteries loose charge? For instance, I have a travel charger that holds my batteries nicely and conserves space, can I leave them in there for long amounts of time until I need them?

3. Should I store batteries uncharged or charged?

Any help would be great!

Gruhn
    1. I store all my cells in cases where they can't come into contact with each other which leads to my suggestion below.

2. I don't know that it would increase the self-discharge rate. I suggest you purchase some inexpensive battery storage cases. I purchase mine from Thomas-Distributing. I have the 2, 4, and 8 cell cases. You could also use the clear plastic cases that primaries AA cells come in, the ones that reseal. The Sanyo Eneloop packaging can be used as a storage case for the cells.

3. It is recommended to store NiMH cells @ 40% capacity. I store mine @ full capacity. The best place to store the cells is in a cool, dry place. I keep mine in their cases in zip lock bags in my refrigerator. Storing them at lower temperatures slows self-discharge and increases cell longevity. It is not recommended that you freeze your batteries. Also, avoid storing them in high temperature areas.

What about storing them in the charger?

Gruhn

Charger Storage

I personally wouldn't, but I don't know that it would either hurt the cells or increase the self-discharge rate.