Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

What type of battery?

I am in the market for a new camera, and here are my specs.
    Budget - $200-300
    Size - compact
    Features - I'd like a larger type LCD screen
    Would like movie mode
    Need to know if I need wide angle
    Would like some level of zoom

I am unsure of whether or not to get one that uses AA batteries, or one that is rechargeable. I am hearing that AA is bettr, and buying a rechargeable kit would be ideal.

I would like a decent pic, one that doesn't require a degree to operate and one that will easily transger pics to my computer.

As you have probably already guessed, I am not an expert. I do have a Cannon Power Shot which is on the large size, and has so many features, I couldn't begin to understand them all. I want something to carry with me in purse to take pics of g'kids, etc. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.
    Sandy

AA batteries for digital cameras are also rechargable. Pretty much everyone uses NiMH rechargeable AA batteries because they last an order of magnitude longer then Alkalines in digital cameras. The advantage is that they are generally cheaper and in a pinch you can by AA alkalines to get a few shots when you run out of juice.

Long term it's not that big a deal, either will do. If you have a proprietary Lithium Ion rechargeable battery in your camera, you should probably buy a second as a backup. Depending on the camera that could cost anywhere from $20-$50. But you already will have the recharger; with AA you will need to buy a charger and batteries if you don't have them already.

Pretty much all cameras have movie mode and some optical zoom. We can't tell you if you need wide angle; you'll have to tell us. Most cameras do have wide angle, usually the equiv of about a 36mm. Some cameras go down to 24mm or so, those are what people refer to when they talk about wide angle compacts.

The smallest cameras (easiest to fit in the purse) will not have AA batteries. Something like a Canon SD600 may fit your needs, but is on the upper end of your price range. You'll also need to buy a bigger memory card and a case.

What camera do you have now that you think is too big? There are many Powershot models.

-dave-

What type of battery

I have a Canon Power Shot G-2. I find it a little big, and always seem to have to charge it when I go to use it. I am hearing things about LCD screens getting damaged. Should I be looking for a camera that has a cover or some kind. I have been advised to look at Canon, Nikon and Panasonic.
    Sandy

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    AA batteries for digital cameras are also rechargable. Pretty much everyone uses NiMH rechargeable AA batteries because they last an order of magnitude longer then Alkalines in digital cameras. The advantage is that they are generally cheaper and in a pinch you can by AA alkalines to get a few shots when you run out of juice.
    Although since the proprietary lithium batteries generally have a higher capacity, with those, you're less likely to need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbob View Post
    I have a Canon Power Shot G-2. I find it a little big, and always seem to have to charge it when I go to use it. I am hearing things about LCD screens getting damaged. Should I be looking for a camera that has a cover or some kind. I have been advised to look at Canon, Nikon and Panasonic.
    The G2 was a beautiful camera, and had relatively good battery life. You're not going to get much better, so I'd second the previous poster's suggestion of buying a second battery. When you get home, swap out the one you've just used and put it in the charger (even if it's not all drained -- unlike older rechargables, li-ion batteries actually work better this way). That way, when you're ready to leave the next day, everything is fresh.

As for the cover -- get a camera bag, and/or get a little sticky plastic cover for a few dollars. I wouldn't base any decision on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbob View Post
    I am in the market for a new camera, and here are my specs.
    Budget - $200-300
    Size - compact
    Features - I'd like a larger type LCD screen
    Would like movie mode
    Need to know if I need wide angle
    Would like some level of zoom

I am unsure of whether or not to get one that uses AA batteries, or one that is rechargeable. I am hearing that AA is bettr, and buying a rechargeable kit would be ideal.

I would like a decent pic, one that doesn't require a degree to operate and one that will easily transger pics to my computer.

As you have probably already guessed, I am not an expert. I do have a Cannon Power Shot which is on the large size, and has so many features, I couldn't begin to understand them all. I want something to carry with me in purse to take pics of g'kids, etc. Thanks so much for any help you can give me.
    I have 2 cameras one using aa batteries(the S2),one using a proprietary battery(theTZ1).Having used them both for a while my view is.....I have absolutely no preference.Both have pros & cons but frankly when it comes to choosing a new camera the battery it uses is likely to be at or near bottom of my list of requirements.

Find the camera that suits your needs in terms of image quality,handling etc,dont worry too much about the battery it uses,its not crucial.

Canon 60D,
    Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM,
    Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS,
    Canon Speedlite 270EX

Panasonic Lumix DMC GF3,
    Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6