Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

fuji finepix S5200 vs Canon S2 IS

I am going in for an ultra-zoom camera at about $250-$300 and the Fuji S5200 and Canon S2 IS seem to be the best choices available. Now, what I gather from reviews of the cameras is that the Fuji takes great low-light photos due to higher ISOs performance, but its auto settings(even in brightly lit settings) use too high ISO's giving them a grainy look sometimes. I suppose that would make the Canon a better auto-setting camera. Although, I am willing to experiment with the manual settings when I get the camera, a good point and shoot performance never harms. So, does this make any one of them an obvious choice.

Does the IS add a lot at high zoom or could using high ISO compensate for it?

Also, what would be natural settings in the Canon S2 IS that give results similar to high ISOs of Fujis for NIGHT photos. Do we really need ISOs 400 or higher for usual night photos/ low light photos.

I am actually a beginner at manual settings which explains the confusions. Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Raj

I am similarly placed, I currently have a Fuji F10 (ISO up to 1600) but I want a superzoom. I went to a couple of stores and I handled the cameras, and I gotta tell you that Fuji 5200 feels perfect in your hand. But I am leaning toward Canon S2 or S3. The lack of real optical image stabilizer is a deal killer for Fuji 5200. You might need that image stabilizer at the end of 10X zoom. Canon of course has a noisy ISO 400 and above. This is not a single camera solution. I plan to get S2 or S3 within next few days. Then I will carry S3 for daylight photography and my Fuji F10 generally for inside/night time photography.

Does the IS add a lot at high zoom or could using high ISO compensate for it?
    IS is only good for non-moving subjects..it will allow slower hand held shutter speed shots but if the subject is moving the picture will be blurry. Higher ISO is the choice for moving subjects but most point and shoot cameras suffer from noise above 200 ISO. The Fuji 5200 is a good all around preformer but a DSLR is the best for high zoom shots
    Doug
    Pentax K200D,Pentax 18-250,Sigma 70-300 APO DG macro
    Kodak Z915
    http://picasaweb.google.com/pas49ras

Quote Originally Posted by pushpraj View Post
    Also, what would be natural settings in the Canon S2 IS that give results similar to high ISOs of Fujis for NIGHT photos. Do we really need ISOs 400 or higher for usual night photos/ low light photos.

Raj
    The S2 only goes to ISO 400- i find low light/night shots can be acceptable(depending on exactly what you are shooting) if printed at no bigger than 7x5 and preferably after first using some good noise reduction such as Neatimage.

Above that size noise is noticable.Not sure that you will find an S2 anymore-it was replaced by the S3 some months ago-the S3 does go to ISO 800.

Canon 60D,
    Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.0 DC Macro OS HSM,
    Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS,
    Canon Speedlite 270EX

Panasonic Lumix DMC GF3,
    Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6

Canon S3 is reviewed on dpreview.com and if you look at their sample gallery (and I am sure Phil Askey and co. knows how to take pictures), you can see, that, despite that fact that S3 upped the ISO to 800, the samples at ISO400 and ISO800 are quite noisy.

I am deciding between Canon S3, Fujifilm S5200 or S6000, and Panasonic FZ7.

Canon - 12X Optical Zoom, OIS, Zoom during video, ISO over 200 has noise;
    Panasonic - 12X Optical Zoom, OIS, I believe zoom during video, Video over 100 has noise;
    Fuji - 10.7X Optical Zoom, no OIS, no zoom during video, ISO acceptable up to and including 1600.

Decisions, Decisions..........