Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 575 of 1821 FirstFirst ... 7547552556557357457557657758562567510751575 ... LastLast
Results 5,741 to 5,750 of 18201
    The ever elusive squirrel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    flickr
    nikon d40 | nikkor 55-200mm vr | nikkor 18-55mm | nikkor 70-300mm vr | SB 400 | My Flickr Animal Portraits Group! Join if you enjoy animals.

nice shot chris. very nice dof and the squirrel is nice and sharp.
    i've put a crop suggestion on your flickr page.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
    Reduce the apperture a bit if you can tolerate a bit slower shutterspeed. You might get a bit sharper result around F8. I use a different consumer level lens but find big improvements in contrast and sharpness from F5 to F8.

At that angle you're not freezing the rotors so you could get away with the smaller apperture which should give you a little more sharpness.

Everything is at infinity in that shot so it's best to use your lens' sharpest aperture if there's no other reason not too.

Love the shot. Your sig says you've got camera armour is that a joke?

Re the PP. Using capture nx colour control points on that shot is in my opinion a sin because it works on a radius from your control point, not the whole colour as you'd expect. Note the sky's gone blue but lightening towards the edges. You can address it with more control points but frankly why bother.

Instead use photoshop. Do whats called channel masking. Work from your original Raw if your copy of photoshop will handle it, if not use capture NX to convert your raw to Tiff 16 bit then open that in photoshop.

Go to channels, select the blue channel, duplicate it, go to threshold or levels on the duplicate blue channel adjust it to get black and white or use the magic wand on the blue channel. It should be super easy to select the sky this way. Save the selection as an "alpha channel" (fancy term for saved selection).

Click back on the RGB channel (ie the whole image in colour). Load the sky selection you just made, adjust colours using hue, saturation sliders or levels or curves etc. Invert the selection so you have everything but the sky selected adjust contrast of the heli and ground using curves and or unsharp mask. Also with the ground/heli selection have a look at the effect of adjustments>highlight/shadows. Highlights/shadows is a pretty cool adjustment tool but if abused will make your images go all pastel with that HDR look.
    Dread Pirate Roberts, I don't use Capture NX, just lightroom and PP. I am well familiar with channel masks, etc. I see what your saying to isolate the sky and give it a more dreamy effect, I may try that. I also only edit in TIF 16 bit from my RAW.

Camera Armor, no joke, and a great investment. I'm still fighting a war here, and the camera doesn't get the best treatment when it's in the glare shield (front window).

Also, NO DOORS HERE. Too hot to fly with doors without an A/C. It was 115 degrees when we took that photo, AND CLIMBING.

I do have a question for you skilled senior guys, will the constant vibrations from a helicopter damage my camera in any way? It's a bumpy ride, and I want to avoid destroying my D80.
    Last edited by bgrablin; 06-25-2008 at 08:45 AM.
    Nikon D80
    Nikkor 18-135mm AF-S> UV + Polarizer + ND4
    "Nifty Fifty" 1.8D> UV + Hood
    SB-600
    8BG + 4GB + 2GB Class 6 SDHC
    SLIK U-212 Deluxe Tri-Pod - Panoramic Head
    Camera Armor
    Tamrac Adventure 9

flickr
    My 8lb8ounce re-born website.

Quote Originally Posted by bgrablin View Post
    WOW Rooz, I appreciate all that input. I can't honestly say I had no logic behind the ISO 800. I still for the life of me can't remember why I didn't change it to lower than 400. I'm still a n00b at this.

I did take all the advice I have gotten thus far and came up with this shot today.

It wasn't an easy shot because I still have to worry about my own aircraft and it's positioning as well as my aperture, ISO, focus, etc...

You can't see it, but both aircraft are hovering about 75 feet over water.

ISO100, f/5.0, 1/1000sec, UV filter.
    Bgrablin, Killer capture...Alot richer looking colors as well. Nice shots you have on flickr.
    Last edited by StuartN; 06-25-2008 at 08:55 AM.

I spent hours trying to get pictures of an arrow as it was fired and it was tough. I was unaware of the trap focus technique so I was just trying to time it and get lucky. I ended up with 3 or 4 successful shots and about 200 unsuccessful ones. I am guessing the American taxpayers would not be happy paying for rockets at that success rate?
    (I might have already posted this one a while back but here it is anyway)

This was taken in horrible light conditions with no flash.
    ESP
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ezperkins2/
    Nikon D300
    Sigma 70-200 2.8 II
    Nikon 50mm 1.8
    Sigma 15-30mm 3.5/4.5
    SB-600 x2

Quote Originally Posted by LBGChris View Post
    The ever elusive squirrel.
    I agree with Rooz. It helps to lead your subject into the frame. So if the subject is looking right, leave more open space on the right and put your subject on one of the rule of thirds lines/points. Not always, but usually I find it more appealing.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Yeah, we only get 1 rocket a day per aircraft to test fire, so I would have to be spot on with my photographic techniques.

Thanks for the kind comments and suggestions. This website is full of amazing talent and experience.
    Nikon D80
    Nikkor 18-135mm AF-S> UV + Polarizer + ND4
    "Nifty Fifty" 1.8D> UV + Hood
    SB-600
    8BG + 4GB + 2GB Class 6 SDHC
    SLIK U-212 Deluxe Tri-Pod - Panoramic Head
    Camera Armor
    Tamrac Adventure 9

flickr
    My 8lb8ounce re-born website.

My daily contribution

What is it about cute cuddly animals at the moment? First we have bugs now it seems that cuddly is the order of the day.

How about something that makes terrible noise, uses up the earth's resources, contributes to global warming, makes a mess by leaking oil everywhere but is great fun for boys to play with?

You can even see the oil patch under this one!

ok here you go