Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question Help! Need a crash course in sports photography on the Rebel XT!

Dear all,
    My baby bro's football team is going to the Iowa state championship this Friday. He's a senior, and this is likely the last game he'll ever play. My uncle is letting me borrow his Rebel XT to photograph the game, which will be played indoors in a well-lit arena.
    I know enough about digital photography to understand the basic settings that go into getting good sports shots, but I have never used a Rebel before. I'll have some time to play with the camera beforehand, but I'd like to know what settings I should use before I get it, to save time. Can someone give me some quick and dirty tips on what settings to use for the best shots? As far as I know the camera only has the kit lens, don't know the specs.
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

- bastetbabe27

What lenses will you be using
    Canon 350D l EF-S 10-22 l EF-S 17-55 l EF 50 f/1.8 l EF 70-200 2.8 IS l 430EX l

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

As far as I know, all my uncle's got is the kit lens that came with the Rebel XT. So...that'd be an 18-55 mm EF-S lens.

- bastetbabe27

For stuff where you'd need the fastest shutter speed possible i'd recomend setting your camera into aperature priority (Av) and dial it down to the smallest number your lens allows. This way the camera will set your shutter speed to the maximum possible given your open aperature. Also set your iso speed to the lowest number that will give you decent shutter speeds. I call decent somewhere beyond 150 for sports... the faster the better (250 wouldn't be bad.) Iso 400 would be good to start at as it's very smooth on that camera but you might need to bump to 800 or even 1600 depending on the lighting and what lens you're going to be using. Remeber... lower aperature number = faster shutter speed... and higher iso number = faster shutter speed and faster shutter speed + sports = good.
    The name is pronounced bonn-gee-bee
    Canon 1Ds Mark II
    Canon 20D + BG-E2
    Canon Elan 7e
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L USM IS
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Canon 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus

Your lens will be too short for most of the action unfortunately

You will be needing a lens that can go upto 200/300mm

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

Okay, that helps. Anything more specific to the camera? Esp. the optimal focusing and metering modes to use?

-bastetbabe27

Quote Originally Posted by bastetbabe27 View Post
    Okay, that helps. Anything more specific to the camera? Esp. the optimal focusing and metering modes to use?

-bastetbabe27
    AI servo set to centre point, and I am still susing out metering modes myself

Fornography

www.vicwrx.com.au

hmmm....what power lens does that translate into? b/c I have a 12X zoom on my Panny FZ5 that I used to photograph the semi-final, and it did pretty well. The arena isn't really that big, honestly, and we'll be sitting close b/c my dad gets to places insanely early. Sorry, I'm a dSLR newbie ....

-bastetbabe27

However, I might be able to look into renting a telephoto if it would really be worth it...and I can find one...and I can figure out how to use it...
    Last edited by bastetbabe27; 11-13-2006 at 07:47 PM.

For the few sporting events i've taken pictures at i've found it helpful to use continuous focusing (AI servo) and use automatic focus point selection. That way the camera will continously focus on whatever is closest to you and won't lock that point in so you can track motion. The multiple focus points allows the camera to evaluate all points to pick the closest thing to you which is usually your subject you're focusing on. Also, i'd use center weighted metering (the one with the () with the circle in the middle.) It'll take into account the entire frame but expose more for the center of the frame which is most likely to be your subject. If you like to previsualize the type of shots you want you can select a specific focus point then wait for "your shot" to come along and take it but that takes a lot of patience which i don't usually have.
    Last edited by BonjiB; 11-13-2006 at 07:50 PM.
    The name is pronounced bonn-gee-bee
    Canon 1Ds Mark II
    Canon 20D + BG-E2
    Canon Elan 7e
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L USM IS
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    Canon 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus

No, patience is one thing I don't have, or a good enough understanding of the subtleties of football to be able to predict where the action's going to be, for "waiting for the shot" to work. Or alot of time to practice with this camera.

I'm shooting this as a record of the end of my brother's childhood (sniff, tear), not to get "the shot" to sell to SI. I just want to have a better chance that the pictures I take will turn out well, more sharply focused and with less noise than I can get with my FZ5. And from reading around on these forums, I've concluded that my best bet is a dSLR. Hence this thread.

Thanks for all replies so far, they have been helpful!

-bastetbabe27