Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

580EX recycle time

I have experienced long flash recyle time lately.
    Does it mean it is time to repalce the battery?
    Or there is anothe reason why it has long flash recycle time?
    Does it have any low battery indicator?

Thanks in advance.
    The best zoom lens is two steps forward, and the best wide angle lens is two steps backward.

1D Mark III, Canon 400D, Canon PowerShot S5 IS
    Canon EF 16-35mm/f2.8L, Canon EF 24-70mm/f2.8L, Canon EF 24-105mm/f4L IS, Canon EF 70-200mm/f2.8L IS
    580EX II Speedlite, 580EX Speedlite

the more light it has to put out, the slower the recycle time will be. maybe try using more wide open apertures and not so fast shutter speeds and it should speed up.

and you know when it has to work hard because it will make that whiny sound.
    40d | 5d mk II | 2.8/16 zenitar fisheye | 16-35L | 35L | sigma 1.4/50 | sigma 2.8/50 Macro | sigma 1.4/85 | 70-200L IS
    website
    disclaimer: posts are for personal entertainment only...not to be taken seriously...ever.

i have 1 set of AA's (older and lower capacity) for my flash that is slower to recycle than my other set, so batteries could definately be a possible factor.
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

Weak batteries, super cheap batteries, [excessively] using max output...all reasons for slow recycle times.

If you use Alkalines, switch to a high mAh rated NiMH & use higher ISO and wider apertures and you'll be a lot happier. Invest in a CP-E3 or similiar battery pack/holder if you shoot with flash a lot.

Question Does anyone have an idea...

Why Canon has not produced some kind of AC Adapter for the 580EX flash? Goodness knows we go through a tremendous amount of batteries keeping this baby alive. They have an AC adapter for darn near everything else... but this is the beggar that really chews up the power.

C'mon Canon... fire one up!
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Why Canon has not produced some kind of AC Adapter for the 580EX flash? Goodness knows we go through a tremendous amount of batteries keeping this baby alive. They have an AC adapter for darn near everything else... but this is the beggar that really chews up the power.

C'mon Canon... fire one up!

Why on earth would you want to be tethered to a wall? It makes no sense. If you don't mind the lack of mobility you can use studio strobes. Speedlights are made for portability, therefore batteries. And there are battery packs available to extend the life of the flash unit, as I already mentioned.

Lightbulb

Well, perhaps you might want to use it as a "studio strobe"... and save a buck or two in BOTH additional equipment costs and BATTERIES!!!

Oh, how novel.

How much could an AC Adapter cost? Wait... that's right, it's Canon... whatever the market will bear... and then add 30%. And everyone should pay this greedy price, because we don't want Canon wandering off, do we?

"Why on earth..." indeed.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-13-2006 at 12:07 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well, perhaps you might want to use it as a "studio strobe"... and save a buck or two in BOTH additional equipment costs and BATTERIES!!!

Oh, how novel.

How much could an AC Adapter cost? Wait... that's right, it's Canon... whatever the market will bear... and then add 30%. And everyone should pay this greedy price, because we don't want Canon wandering off, do we?

"Why on earth..." indeed.
    A Speedlight setup as a permanent studio setup is NOT cost-effective. You do NOT save a buck or two. In fact you spend more money for less output when compared to AlienBees, which are very good lights.

if i were doing so much studio work that i needed an adapter for the speedlite, i'd get some alien bees as cdi suggested. user replaceable parts, inexpensive, better control/output, modeling lights, etc.
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

Red face Pop for the flash

I am not debating the use of studio lighting over portable speedlights. I simply want to be able to "go the distance", if that is all I have... and I just want to plug it in... without having to use up a box of batteries during the holiday season... or wait for a good ol' recharge.

Again, it's madness over method.

Hey, thanks for the line on Alien Bees, though. Good pricing on those items.

Name:  b1600b.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  6.1 KB
    $359.95

Have portable studio... will travel. LOL
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-13-2006 at 10:21 AM.

flickr & Sdi