Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

S2 Speed Problems

I've had my S2 for about 8 months now and have found it does great on landscape scenes and anything else not moving. It's difficult, however, to get shots of people speaking indoors at rallies at night (blurred arm & facial movements) and at sports events (like T-ball, baseball, etc.).

I've tried using the auto setting and noticed it seems permanently locked on 1/8th second exposure speed (not nearly fast enough). I've tried the P (portait setting) and noticed it takes blurred pictures of moving subjects also. I've tried the Tv and M settings and noticed both of them have 1/125th second exposure speeds but as soon as I depress the picture button halfway to obtain a focus, the screen goes black.

Is there some other setting I can use that takes faster exposure speed pictures or can I override the automatic settings? I've had a couple of good 35mm cameras and this is my first digital camera. I'm getting the impression that the S2 not having a sports setting is a real drawback and that I should either go for the S3 or step up to the Rebel or 30D and just get it over with. So far, i'm less than impressed with the S2. Any suggestions or words of wisdom from the camera experts? Thanks in advance and this isn't meant to be a bash on Cannon in general as I had a great 35mm Cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by Elknt View Post
    I've had my S2 for about 8 months now and have found it does great on landscape scenes and anything else not moving. It's difficult, however, to get shots of people speaking indoors at rallies at night (blurred arm & facial movements) and at sports events (like T-ball, baseball, etc.).

I've tried using the auto setting and noticed it seems permanently locked on 1/8th second exposure speed (not nearly fast enough). I've tried the P (portait setting) and noticed it takes blurred pictures of moving subjects also. I've tried the Tv and M settings and noticed both of them have 1/125th second exposure speeds but as soon as I depress the picture button halfway to obtain a focus, the screen goes black.

Is there some other setting I can use that takes faster exposure speed pictures or can I override the automatic settings? I've had a couple of good 35mm cameras and this is my first digital camera. I'm getting the impression that the S2 not having a sports setting is a real drawback and that I should either go for the S3 or step up to the Rebel or 30D and just get it over with. So far, i'm less than impressed with the S2. Any suggestions or words of wisdom from the camera experts? Thanks in advance and this isn't meant to be a bash on Cannon in general as I had a great 35mm Cannon.

If you were to go back to your 35mm and get the kind of exsposure you want what would you use? what film speed? what shutter? apature setting?
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

Get the 30D the S2 is not going to do well in low light indoor settings, which is my biggest qualm with it and the S3, sports mode on the S3 will not deliver what your looking for. I'm in love with what the S3 does well it's great at it, low light indoor settings is just not one of those things. Most of the activities I partake in involve those requirements. Though the S3 focuses better in these situations the result are still below par. hth

Edit: I'll always keep an S3 type as a walk around. It's just too much fun not to. But in general I'll move to a DSLR to handle the things the S3 can not.
    Last edited by XaiLo; 11-06-2006 at 11:14 PM.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Thanks to both of you. XaiLo, that is the kind of information I was looking for. I used to own a great Cannon EOS 35mm camera that was the best camera I've ever owned bar none. On the auto setting, it literally made me a much better photographer and the picture quality was truly impressive. It also had an external flash hot shoe that made flash pictures something enjoyable and much more artistic.

I've been reading through the S2 manual and haven't found anything that appears to allow 35mm picture quality on an auto setting. I tried an S3 in a store and noticed it appears to be a little better on the auto setting (1/125th of a second) but did not get to try the sports setting or obviously try it at a sporting event.

Like you, I like having a good walk around camera with me at work, etc. and will probably invest in an S3. From your information, it sounds like I'll also need to invest in a 30D to get true 35mm performance. Since the Rebel is about half of the 30D's price, how does it compare to the 30D?

Bower, I've tried using the S2 on almost all of the settings or camera modes and have found that it simply isn't up to the task on inside photos at night (fluorescent lighting, etc.) and sporting events. Yes, I did get some good shots at my son's T-ball games but many more were ruined (blurry). I'm definitely not a camera pro and normally prefer to use a camera's auto setting (especially when I can't see the results with 35mm film). If I were doing manual shots of a sports event, I would probably opt for the equivalent of 400 ISO film and fast shutter times (probably around 1/250th second).

I know that doesn't answer all of your questions but I'm one of those guys who likes auto settings on cameras and learns a lot form asking experienced photographers like both of you lots of questions. I've found that usually somebody has already run into the problems I'll find and likely has found solutions to them or determined that what I'm asking is simply beyond the camera's abilities (which it seems like it is for the S2).

I'm already seeing prices for the S3 of $349 to $399 and am wondering if there is an S4 on the drawing boards due to the lowered price. If so, is the S4 going to close more of the gap with the Rebel do you think? Thanks again to both of you for the help--Believe me, you've both helped a lot and saved me a lot of frustration.

I just tried my S3 with ISO 400 and 1/250 shutter with the widest apature F2.7 and it couldnt handle it. Even on ISO 800 that shutter was to fast to shoot without a flash.

I thought the ISO settings they use on digital cameras were suposed to be the equivelent of film speeds? if you say 400 speed film with that fast of a shutter film must be more sesative then how they are rating these digital sensors?

That's a good question Bower. Now you have me curious. I assumed the ISO setting on a digital camera would function much the same as a 35mm film camera. Perhaps not?

That's a good question Bower. Now you have me curious. I assumed the ISO setting on a digital camera would function much the same as a 35mm film camera. Perhaps not?
    They usually don't match up. Although Canon I hear is getting better. For example I've read in tests the ISO 50 on my S2 is actually more like ISO 64. The newer S3 starts at 64 to better reflect that.
    Canon EOS 40D | Pro1 | EOS 630 (film) | S2 IS | G1
    EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200 f/4 L | 580EX II

Quote Originally Posted by Forced Perfect View Post
    They usually don't match up. Although Canon I hear is getting better. For example I've read in tests the ISO 50 on my S2 is actually more like ISO 64. The newer S3 starts at 64 to better reflect that.
    no it starts at ISO 80.

I always thought they use somthing like ASA for film speed and for digital they say like ISO 80 equivalent or somthign like that. Doesnt "equivalent" mean the same or similar to?

So if its ISO 80 equivalent wouldnt you tend to use a 80 film speed? do they have 80 speed film?

I never messed with film but i do have a light meter andive messed with it before and it seems to be fairly accurate. The meter would give a recomended setting i would set my digital to that speed and it would be fairly close.

Quote Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
    no it starts at ISO 80.

I always thought they use somthing like ASA for film speed and for digital they say like ISO 80 equivalent or somthign like that. Doesnt "equivalent" mean the same or similar to?

So if its ISO 80 equivalent wouldnt you tend to use a 80 film speed? do they have 80 speed film?

I never messed with film but i do have a light meter andive messed with it before and it seems to be fairly accurate. The meter would give a recomended setting i would set my digital to that speed and it would be fairly close.
    My mistake.

ASA isn't really used much anymore. ISO is used for pretty much all film/digital now.
    Canon EOS 40D | Pro1 | EOS 630 (film) | S2 IS | G1
    EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 70-200 f/4 L | 580EX II

Online Canon Manual

I was checking out some other websites for hints and found this one from Canon. It was a lot of help and explained the camera better than the manual.
    http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/pss2is/201-e.html

I'm still playing with some of the things on the camera but now understand how to manually set the shutter speed. I've noticed so far that it needs a flash to take most of the pictures and the darkened screen is a hint that a flash is needed. From what I've been reading and hearing from people, I need to look at a DSLR to really achieve the performance level of my old Canon 35mm camera. Thanks again everybody for all of your help on this.