Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   

View Poll Results: Should i fork out for the Nikon TC-E17ED?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it is the best telephoto for the FZ-50.

    2 50.00%
  • No, stay with your Tcon 17.

    1 25.00%
  • I remain neutral.

    1 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    461

    The differences being so tiny as to beg a truly objective judge...

    Quote Originally Posted by John_Reed View Post
    I have both lenses, and prefer the TC-E17ED, because it brings back the sharpness of the original lens, something which I think the TCON-17 struggles with a little more. You can get sharp images with the TCON-17, but your "hit rate" will improve with the Nikon. It (the Nikon) also gives a little more mag., like a true 1.7X vs. the TCON's 1.6X, and I'd venture to say it loses less light than the Oly. It's a brighter lens.
    By any real test, the Nikon is "better", but not in all areas, and not so definitively that the T-CON should be played-down for being anything other than the sterling lens it is.
    The more meaningful tests for the T-CON I’ve seen show no purple fringing and an advantage to the Nikon that would, if it were a NASCAR 500 mile race, the eventual "winner" being determined in thousandths of a second, not by hundreds of feet.

    I chose the T-CON 1.7 for that reason: “pixel peeping” not being one of my affectations.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    2,635

    It's not about "pixel peeping"

    It's an intangible "capture confidence." I shoot a lot of bird photos, and many of my friends and I share a preference for this feature of the Nikon. That is, when you snap the photo, it gives you the confidence that you've nailed a sharp image. Yes, the TCON-17 (I also have one) can get sharp images, but it doesn't impart that intangible "feeling" as well, and it's borne out in the captured results as well. You don't have to "pixel peep" to notice how sharp this Turkey Vulture is?



    Another advantage of the Nikon is that it actually delivers on its 1.7X promise, where the Oly falls short, around 1.6X.
    Let a be your umbrella!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Reed View Post
    It's an intangible "capture confidence." I shoot a lot of bird photos, and many of my friends and I share a preference for this feature of the Nikon. That is, when you snap the photo, it gives you the confidence that you've nailed a sharp image. Yes, the TCON-17 (I also have one) can get sharp images, but it doesn't impart that intangible "feeling" as well, and it's borne out in the captured results as well. You don't have to "pixel peep" to notice how sharp this Turkey Vulture is?



    Another advantage of the Nikon is that it actually delivers on its 1.7X promise, where the Oly falls short, around 1.6X.
    I would have to agree with John on the "confidence" factor, at least with my FZ3 + TCON combination.

    Frankly, I'm reluctant to take the time to put the TCON on the FZ3 because I feel I will be disappointed. I don't feel this way with the wide angle I'm using, but I do with the TCON.

    Maybe my expectations are too high and I just need to focus on getting closer to the subject and stop relying on full zoom and a converter to get me there.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    2,635

    Red face Shortening distance can be tough!

    Quote Originally Posted by pappekak View Post
    I would have to agree with John on the "confidence" factor, at least with my FZ3 + TCON combination.

    Frankly, I'm reluctant to take the time to put the TCON on the FZ3 because I feel I will be disappointed. I don't feel this way with the wide angle I'm using, but I do with the TCON.

    Maybe my expectations are too high and I just need to focus on getting closer to the subject and stop relying on full zoom and a converter to get me there.
    Getting closer to the subject is a nice ideal, but practically, it can be quite difficult. That Vulture happened to be perching atop a power pole when I shot his photo, and just my presence was enough to send him flying. Little songbirds are very skittish, so sometimes you have to take what you can get from a distance, like this one:



    That happens to be a Song Sparrow, at full zoom, full frame, uncropped in FZ30's 5MP EZ mode, with Nikon TC-E17ED
    Let a be your umbrella!

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    65
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Reed View Post
    Getting closer to the subject is a nice ideal, but practically, it can be quite difficult. That Vulture happened to be perching atop a power pole when I shot his photo, and just my presence was enough to send him flying. Little songbirds are very skittish, so sometimes you have to take what you can get from a distance, like this one:



    That happens to be a Song Sparrow, at full zoom, full frame, uncropped in FZ30's 5MP EZ mode, with Nikon TC-E17ED
    Very nice. That is the kind of picture I was hoping for when I bought my TCON.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    western pa
    Posts
    2,334
    John your on the way downhill....from Egrets to turkey vultures.....()
    .






    Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

    Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Lincoln.ne.us
    Posts
    91
    unfortunately, the Nikon TC-E17ED appears to be discontinued. at the time of Ching-Kuang Shene's review, i believe it was still in production.

    so that put's me on the trail of the best Nikon TC-E17ED substitution.
    Panasonic/Leica/Lumix FZ-50K (28-Sep-2006)
    Panasonic/Leica/Lumix FZ-20K (15-Mar-2005 - 28-Sep-2006)
    Canon AE-1 (05-May-1980 : 1-Feb-05)
    Nikon TC-E17ED, Olympus Tcon 17
    Canon 100mm-300mm

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Yukon, OK
    Posts
    315
    What would happen if a TCON-17 was used on an FZ-20?? I realize there is a thread difference.
    Minolta X370, 35mm, 50mm; Vivitar 28-80 zoom; Auto Spira-Tel 200mm, 300mm; JC Penney 80-200 zoom;12mm, 20mm, 36mm extension tubes, 2X & 3X teleconverters
    Sony Mavica FD-83
    FZ-20; 62mm Pemaraal Adapter; TCON-17; Hoya SHMC UV; Kenko Circular Polarizar; Tiffen ND 6, Sky 1-A
    Vivitar 2800-D flash; Spiratone Tripod

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    2,635

    Thumbs up TCON17 works fine with an FZ20...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike63 View Post
    What would happen if a TCON-17 was used on an FZ-20?? I realize there is a thread difference.
    Because of the FZ20's extending lens, you'd need a Phayee adapter to provide some threads for mounting. I think there's an adapter that provides 55mm threads, not sure about that though. But once mounted, it works fine, no problems.
    Let a be your umbrella!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Yukon, OK
    Posts
    315
    I have a Pemeraal adapter already, I would just need to get a 62 to 55 reducer. I really would not want to purchase another adapter as to save money and I don't want a 14B because I may upgrade my camara in the future. I was just wondering if the vignetting would be horrible because of the 62mm to 55mm reduction. My wife and I take pictures of birds and I like what I'm seeing on this thread. I thought I saw a TC-E17ED for about 800 yesterday during a search.....way out of my price range.
    Minolta X370, 35mm, 50mm; Vivitar 28-80 zoom; Auto Spira-Tel 200mm, 300mm; JC Penney 80-200 zoom;12mm, 20mm, 36mm extension tubes, 2X & 3X teleconverters
    Sony Mavica FD-83
    FZ-20; 62mm Pemaraal Adapter; TCON-17; Hoya SHMC UV; Kenko Circular Polarizar; Tiffen ND 6, Sky 1-A
    Vivitar 2800-D flash; Spiratone Tripod

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •