Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed

Right, In M or Tv I should be able to control the shutter speed, but it seems that ususally I'll set the speed to what I want it, I'll focus on what I want to take a picture of, and when I snap the picture, the camera will alter the shutter speed for some reason. Sometimes the picture comes out ok, but sometimes I'll end up with things like the below...
    Attachment 17067

Why does my S2 do this, and what can I do about it? Thanks...
    Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenen

O LORD, our Lord, How majestic is Your name in all the earth, Who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens! ...When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained; What is man that You take thought of him...
    - Ps 8:1,3-4a NASB

Safety Shift.

There is a setting in the menu called Safety Shift. If this is enabled (which it is by default), the camera will automatically change the settings (even in Manual mode) if it thinks you are making a mistake. Turn it off!

The other thing that is possible is the flash. If the flash is on, the max shutter speed is 1/500. If you set it faster, the camera will change it.
    My best pics on Flickr

Follow me on Twitter: twitter.com/garysimmons
    Like me on Facebook: facebook.com/GarySimmonsPhotography

Gear: Canon 60D, Sigma 18-50 f2.8 EX DC Macro, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 EX DC II, Canon 50 f1.8, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 EX DC, Sigma 120-400 DG OS. 1 430EX, 1 430EXII, 1 580EXII, ST-E2, Manfrotto 190XPROB (soon to be replaced by the carbon version)
    Plus filters, wireless triggers and other junk...

Kenen, I believe there is like a safety shift option somewhere that might be causing this issue for you. can't find my manual right now to figure out what controls it. dustyporch beat me to it for some reason I can't find the option though
    Last edited by XaiLo; 11-07-2006 at 10:00 AM.
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

On my A630, turn the camara to the mode your interested in, flip the selector switch to take a picture, then hit menue. It is teh 6th menue item under the camara tab.

Hi Kenen,
    I face some of your problem before. Yes is the safety shift that you have to turn off. Under AV or TV mode - Menu. Because it will overwrite your setting if it sense something different as what you have set. So u try it out.. wish this will help.

histograph

The Histograph helps on the S3 IS

Quote Originally Posted by Kenen View Post
    Right, In M or Tv I should be able to control the shutter speed, but it seems that ususally I'll set the speed to what I want it, I'll focus on what I want to take a picture of, and when I snap the picture, the camera will alter the shutter speed for some reason. Sometimes the picture comes out ok, but sometimes I'll end up with things like the below...
    Attachment 17067

Why does my S2 do this, and what can I do about it? Thanks...
    AmiMaija

Rebel Xsi 450D, Canon 18-55mm IS, Canon 55-250 IS, Canon EFS 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8.
    Promaster 5550 flash and 300 series, Gary Fong puffer and Lightsphere deluxe kit.

Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop.

PowerShot S5 IS

http://prophotoannebrown.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amimaija/collections/

Thanks for the help. I think the problem was the safty shift. I just turned it off,...
    Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/kenen

O LORD, our Lord, How majestic is Your name in all the earth, Who have displayed Your splendor above the heavens! ...When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers, The moon and the stars, which You have ordained; What is man that You take thought of him...
    - Ps 8:1,3-4a NASB