Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Computer does not recognize my new Lexar SD card reader

I have no idea where to post this thread, sorry if incorrect here:

It's a card reader to tranfer data to and from a PC to another device, in this case a digital camera, to my PC. I run Windows 2000, I bought a new camera and picked up a Lexmar USB Memory Stick reader.

However, the instructions state no driver necessary, but the "install wizard" wants to add a driver but there is not one to be found anywehre. I went to their website (Lexar) and found no driver info available for Windows 2000 driver. Any thoughts?

I did the device manager, uninstall and reinstall and still the "new hardware found wizard" still insists that I need a new driver and possibly a disk for a driver. I went to the Lexar website and it states the same as the box, "Windows 2000 no driver required..."

I even did a live chat session and they couldn't figure it out either.

So, if I go to my work computer and it recgnizes the removable drive, what is the possible problem with my home computer?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by gonlaz View Post
    I have no idea where to post this thread, sorry if incorrect here:

It's a card reader to tranfer data to and from a PC to another device, in this case a digital camera, to my PC. I run Windows 2000, I bought a new camera and picked up a Lexmar USB Memory Stick reader.

However, the instructions state no driver necessary, but the "install wizard" wants to add a driver but there is not one to be found anywehre. I went to their website (Lexar) and found no driver info available for Windows 2000 driver. Any thoughts?

I did the device manager, uninstall and reinstall and still the "new hardware found wizard" still insists that I need a new driver and possibly a disk for a driver. I went to the Lexar website and it states the same as the box, "Windows 2000 no driver required..."

I even did a live chat session and they couldn't figure it out either.

So, if I go to my work computer and it recgnizes the removable drive, what is the possible problem with my home computer?

Thanks in advance
    1. Try this first: (if you haven't already): leave the reader plugged in, shut down (turn off your computer) and warm restart (works sometimes from a warm restart).
    2. Where do you have the reader plugged in? Connect the reader through the USB connections on the MOBO and not from a USB hub.
    If the MOBO recognizes the reader, it most likely (should) will from a hub.

Then there is this XP CAB FILE from Microsoft:
    USB devices may not work after you unplug a downstream USB hub from the host.
    Go to Microsoft Windows download and search for a file similar to the USB CAB file named above.

Lastly, is the card reader self (buss) powered or adapter powered? Is the adapter working?
    If it needs an adapter and you do not have the proper unit, I bought a 3-7.5 volt adapter w/3 micro plug-ins for $30 from Radio Shack.
    I use the above adapter to power my various (adapter needy) USB devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Razr View Post
    1. Try this first: (if you haven't already): leave the reader plugged in, shut down (turn off your computer) and warm restart (works sometimes from a warm restart).
    2. Where do you have the reader plugged in? Connect the reader through the USB connections on the MOBO and not from a USB hub.
    If the MOBO recognizes the reader, it most likely (should) will from a hub.

Then there is this XP CAB FILE from Microsoft:
    USB devices may not work after you unplug a downstream USB hub from the host.
    Go to Microsoft Windows download and search for a file similar to the USB CAB file named above.

Lastly, is the card reader self (buss) powered or adapter powered? Is the adapter working?
    If it needs an adapter and you do not have the proper unit, I bought a 3-7.5 volt adapter w/3 micro plug-ins for $30 from Radio Shack.
    I use the above adapter to power my various (adapter needy) USB devices.
    I don't know, I just plugged it into the USB port in back of my computer, I have two of them. One is used for the part of the cable modem.

It works fine here at my work computer. It detects it and activates it right away, the one at home does not for some reason.

It is one of those little ones you carry around in your pocket or whatever and has no adapter.
    Where are USB connections on my MOBO?